Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1952
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Hard to tell without seeing it. Got a picture? Leaners should make a person nervous.
    D Doug Dent says

Wait for it

Don’t cut that tree!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	744A64E7-70D2-4633-80FE-0D82D1B5EF10.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	917.0 KB 
ID:	347687Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5AE1B7A-A149-468C-AEAF-F7CD54365E93.jpg 
Views:	1372 
Size:	886.3 KB 
ID:	347688Just freshened up my Husky 395 with a new light weight Oregon bar (36”), new oil and gas caps, and new filters.

I got a new kill switch too, but haven't put it on yet. What came first the shitty switch or the overstock parts of the shitty switch? They have been using the same shitty switch for damn near 30 years. Parts guy didn’t even check the book for a number.

The lighter bar is way better.
    Last edited by Storm Hood; 11-13-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Just switched to a 32" lightweight bar on a Stihl 462. What a difference. I think it has me making more precise cuts.

462 is a beast in the power to weight department.

Replaced my 362 with it this year. Great saw. Good balance, and nimble for the amount of power. Thinking about getting it hopped up, but almost want more to hold on to.

I was talking to a local faller who has been at it for 30+ years not a big guy either, runs 3 of those hopped up 461's, sez they are the best saws he has ever run, tells me its a > 6month wait to get them modifyed by the guy who knows
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My 38 magnum's muffler just gave in. Starting to get hard to get parts, but other than an oiler, and a couple sprockets, it's cost me nothing but consumable parts. Not bad for a $800 saw bought in '95. I also liked the 44 it was shelved with, but didn't need 2 saws and the 38 was better for firewood, so the 44 got traded for a fridge at the cabin. Those stihls in the 70cc range just cant't be beat. If I replaced the 38 for a new 461, I expect it would be a candidate for the lifetime purchase thread.

anybody know of an attachment for sawing old dead snags while you stand back and don't get killed?

The chainsaw thread...

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    anybody know of an attachment for sawing old dead snags while you stand back and don't get killed?
    Pull em down with a rope or cable.

Hinge and start a back cut then pull.

I use a snatch block (logging pulley) so I can pull the tree away from me with a PTO logging winch behind a compact tractor.

Here you go.

Here you go.
    that fucking thing should be called the Once-ler.

That was nuts.

They said they made the effort to keep the bear 'safe' by blocking its egress from either the den entrance, or into the saw blade above. Still not sure why they didn't just postpone the felling until spring. Hope little bruin was/is able find a new den before too long into winter.

I just got my new Stihl 462 back from getting tuned. All sexed up. Ya know. A little more power. Haven’t played with it much but the bitch neighbor next door gave me the perfect opportunity this morning at 7:03. After opening a wonderful (1000% condescending and super disrespectful to my mrs.) letter from her about a snag that snapped and fell like 8 months ago, that now she suddenly needs taken care of and has a proposal from the d bags in Rutland, I decided it was time to let her know the proposal was not needed and she could kindly go fuck herself.

Needless to say, snag is cut, her wall is safe and my saw... it’s stupid fast and powerful. And the cops told her she was up shits creek without a paddle... no noise ordinance and she shouldn’t of been so mean in her letter to us.... looks like I’ll be cutting wood a lot over the next few mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I just got my new Stihl 462 back from getting tuned. All sexed up. Ya know. A little more power. Haven’t played with it much but the bitch neighbor next door gave me the perfect opportunity this morning at 7:03. After opening a wonderful (1000% condescending and super disrespectful to my mrs.) letter from her about a snag that snapped and fell like 8 months ago, that now she suddenly needs taken care of and has a proposal from the d bags in Rutland, I decided it was time to let her know the proposal was not needed and she could kindly go fuck herself.

Needless to say, snag is cut, her wall is safe and my saw... it’s stupid fast and powerful. And the cops told her she was up shits creek without a paddle... no noise ordinance and she shouldn’t of been so mean in her letter to us.... looks like I’ll be cutting wood a lot over the next few mornings.
    That’s the way to get work done.

Does it have to be felled to protect property or life? If not leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Does it have to be felled to protect property or life? If not leave it be.
    I think that saw attachment is called “a proper sawyer”. Like somebody that actually knows how to cut it.

Bought some property and have been cleaning it up here and there with a small 435e Husq that does just fine for what I'm up to. But I also need to clear a bunch of very tall doug firs, some hemlock as well near my house that I am obviously under qualified to manage since I dont want my daughters' rooms to have sunroofs. Let's say I had 20 trees that I wanted gone, and while the eventual firewood would be nice, I am more concerned with keeping costs low. With that sort of volume, are lumber mills commonly interested in safely dropping trees in exchange for the wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Bought some property and have been cleaning it up here and there with a small 435e Husq that does just fine for what I'm up to. But I also need to clear a bunch of very tall doug firs, some hemlock as well near my house that I am obviously under qualified to manage since I dont want my daughters' rooms to have sunroofs. Let's say I had 20 trees that I wanted gone, and while the eventual firewood would be nice, I am more concerned with keeping costs low. With that sort of volume, are lumber mills commonly interested in safely dropping trees in exchange for the wood?
    Depends a lot on your local log market. Doug fir here is about $100/m3 and hemlock $90/m3 sawlog received at the mill. Another $30/m3 for peelers (fir). Truck holds 30-50m3 depending on axle config. Log market in the US is maybe 30% higher in values even before the exchange? Lumber is at all-time NA $ highs and log shortages are widespread here in the land of hewers.

Falling and loading are probably near $60 to $70/m3, depending on your property's location and layout. Then truck the log to the mill. If you have a half load of peeler Fd and a load of sawlog, logging contractor might take it off your hands at no cost to you but the site clean-up.

No idea your local market, but hit up any local log yards, woodlots, or community forests in your area, they should have a list of logging contractors that are geared for small lot harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Depends a lot on your local log market. Doug fir here is about $100/m3 and hemlock $90/m3 sawlog received at the mill. Another $30/m3 for peelers (fir). Truck holds 30-50m3 depending on axle config. Log market in the US is maybe 30% higher in values even before the exchange? Lumber is at all-time NA $ highs and log shortages are widespread here in the land of hewers.

Falling and loading are probably near $60 to $70/m3, depending on your property's location and layout. Then truck the log to the mill. If you have a half load of peeler Fd and a load of sawlog, logging contractor might take it off your hands at no cost to you but the site clean-up.

No idea your local market, but hit up any local log yards, woodlots, or community forests in your area, they should have a list of logging contractors that are geared for small lot harvest.
    Thanks BCMH - I will call around a bit. I'm on an island in the Puget Sound so this all may be more hassle than its worth for someone else, especially based on the margins in your math.

Sure, go ahead and throw coastal grading and island access costs into your estimate request!
    Coastal sawlog Doug fir is about $200+/m3, hemlock about the same as the interior. Top price for Fd specialty grades could be much higher, maybe 3X sawlog value. Get a proper appraiser in for the Fd if their diameters are above 50cm/2'. Costs on getting it off your little island, I'll abstain from conjecture.

The chainsaw thread...

Big wind event in much of California this week. We had one of our neighbor’s beetle kill pondo pines fall onto our property. Broke about three feet above the ground. No damage, but it could have fallen on another neighbor’s house. It makes me glad that I cut down our very large beetle killed pondo a few years ago. Usually, the beetle kill ponderosa pines snap at their top and the rest of the trunk turns into a snag and rots in place, but occasionally, the whole thing will drop and make a mess.

If you had to remove this, how’d you do it? It’s a giant sequoia in Yosemite from the wind event.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4765.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	359031

^ Is it yours? Can you sell it? I imagine someone around there might want to have some sequoia wood. Maybe some salvage gyppos.

I saw some pics of the windthrow in Yosemite NP. Ouch. The campgrounds looked scary with several vehicles crushed. Didn't hear if anyone was hurt.

The chainsaw thread...

^ Is it yours? Can you sell it? I imagine someone around there might want to have some sequoia wood. Maybe some salvage gyppos.
    Not mine. Yosemite. Mine was a pondo pine. Maybe 28” dbh. It’s hard for me to understand scale of that sequoia. The Yosemite FB page said that it was a large one from the Mariposa Grove.