Page 71 of 78 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 1937
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener is fast and accurate. Sharpens the chain and lowers rakers in one stroke and gets the angles right.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Second that. It’s foolproof and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    Yeah fair enough. I know you canucks cut some big ass trees.

Guess ill just buy a 12 pack and go to town for Thursday Night Football.
    a buddy told us when he cut the big wood out on the coast they got 3 sharpened chains for every shift and never had to file in the woods but it was scary cutting downed stems 30ft in the air and he quit

Cutting local ski runs up high the trees were not that big so I would just carry 2or 3 chains and swap them as needed cuz its faster than sitting in a snow bank filing a chain

then sharpen them at home while having a drink
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

No way is it worth fucking around swapping a chain instead of sharpening it. It takes about 11 minutes to sharpen a saw - 2 to roll a doobie, 5 to smoke it and 4 to file the saw.

If you're cutting standing or freshly dropped wood you should be able to cut a truckload without sharpening. If you're cutting skidded wood you'll probably need to sharpen often (once per log?). If you're driving your tip into the dirt or dont know how to file a saw you'll need a new chain every cord.

I learned to freehand sharpen about 30 years ago slashing runs at the ski hill for 4 summers. Then I heated my house with wood for 25 years and sold firewood for extra cash too many times so i got pretty fucking good at keeping my saw sharp. Typically I need 3 strokes per tooth and its razor sharp. If I tagged a rock, next sharpening one or 2 teeth might get 4 strokes and left a little gnarly. It's important to file them all the same. Same angle, same number of strokes, same pressure. I usually only hit the rakers once in a chain's lifetime.

I was walking up the road last week listening to someone cutting with his chainsaw and thinking it sounded dull, there was no chain bite causing the engine to actually work. Turned out to be an aquaintence, i was chatting and looking at the dust he had made and commented that it looked like his saw was dull. He pulled out a little grinder thing, proceeded to take off way too much metal and only half ass sharpen his chain. He didn't have a flat file and his rakers were too high. I shrugged.

Bought a cheap limbing saw used, but it’s leaking gas and can’t stay running. Cylinder looks good with manifold off. Guessing the ethanol ate the lines, so going to try replacing the fuel lines. Only $20 in so not a big gamble

Beaver gets it.

I don't have any passion for selling fire wood or heating my house,

I just wanted a sharp chain to cut ski run right now,

If one ain't good enough to free hand sharpen then one shoud use a jig and swap chains

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Beaver gets it.
    X2.

Although I'll admit that my freehand sharpening doesn't come out quite as good as when I use a file guide. If I freehand it a couple times, I'll use the guide the next time to tidy everything up and keep it cutting straight. I just use the little roller guides though - they're quick, simple, cheap, and don't take up much space in my pack.

I use the roller guides, too. When I duff my chain or hit metal and get some big nicks, I have my neighbor resharpen for $5. 5 minute walk to his shop. He’s a pro with a long client list. Restaurants, chefs, tree services, equipment rental companies all use him.

Beaver gets it.
    yeah I don’t know why these other dorks can’t just sharpen with a file and move on

no big deal
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

watch out for snakes

I admit that I use one of these to get the angle and depth right.
    Name:  4FA8A3CE-19D6-48A8-82A7-ADDF9BB8130C.jpeg
Views: 377
Size:  16.3 KB

I use this kind of gauge for the rakers, maybe twice a year, always at home.
    Name:  3803FF7A-4572-4312-B7D0-19F6BD1F7755.jpeg
Views: 379
Size:  42.2 KB

I’ve bought fancier guides and such, but in the field I just use that first file holder. Only takes a few minutes. It takes longer to drink my refreshments.

Same with the Stihl 2 in 1. Takes a few minutes and I don’t have to carry multiple tools/guides.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I admit that I use one of these to get the angle and depth right.
    Name:  4FA8A3CE-19D6-48A8-82A7-ADDF9BB8130C.jpeg
Views: 377
Size:  16.3 KB

I use this kind of gauge for the rakers, maybe twice a year, always at home.
    Name:  3803FF7A-4572-4312-B7D0-19F6BD1F7755.jpeg
Views: 379
Size:  42.2 KB

I’ve bought fancier guides and such, but in the field I just use that first file holder. Only takes a few minutes. It takes longer to drink my refreshments.
    using a jig ?

well there goes your manhood rating,

you are dead to us in the chainsaw thread

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    using a jig ?

well there goes your manhood rating,

you are dead to us in the chainsaw thread
    Says the guy(s) who rides ebikes

yeah but i never ride it wearing socks n sandals

That’s just the shoegoo talking

Doing some snag falling, brushing and glading at Hudson Bay Mountain today and I figured I would shoot a little video. I always enjoy skiing stuff I have cut.

Brought the saw out today to cut some firewood. Felled the tree fine but started bogging down so badly after limbing that I gave up.

Saw is a Stihl 291, only two seasons on it (maybe four cords). I am careful to treat fuel and to store properly.

Thoughts? Air filter and muffler? Thing is, I’m up at our cabin and parts are not available, so looking for a basic checklist before hauling it back to the shop.

Thanks!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

have you ever cleaned the airfilter ?

I think a plugged filter will make it run rich ?

After every day of cutting I sharpen which ever chains got run/ clean the sawdust out of the engine/ clean the bar groove/ flip the bar/ swap the air filter out

wash the filter and dry from the heat on top of the espresso M/C

edit: or you could just say fuck all that shit and roll a doobie, takes 11 min

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Brought the saw out today to cut some firewood. Felled the tree fine but started bogging down so badly after limbing that I gave up.

Saw is a Stihl 291, only two seasons on it (maybe four cords). I am careful to treat fuel and to store properly.

Thoughts? Air filter and muffler? Thing is, I’m up at our cabin and parts are not available, so looking for a basic checklist before hauling it back to the shop.

Thanks!
    Clean the air filter, clean the plug or new plug, sharpen chain, clean the bar, clean the clutch drum, new gas.

Clean the spark arrestor too. Classic cause of Runs Like Shit symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The chainsaw thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    No way is it worth fucking around swapping a chain instead of sharpening it. It takes about 11 minutes to sharpen a saw - 2 to roll a doobie, 5 to smoke it and 4 to file the saw.

If you're cutting standing or freshly dropped wood you should be able to cut a truckload without sharpening. If you're cutting skidded wood you'll probably need to sharpen often (once per log?). If you're driving your tip into the dirt or dont know how to file a saw you'll need a new chain every cord.

I learned to freehand sharpen about 30 years ago slashing runs at the ski hill for 4 summers. Then I heated my house with wood for 25 years and sold firewood for extra cash too many times so i got pretty fucking good at keeping my saw sharp. Typically I need 3 strokes per tooth and its razor sharp. If I tagged a rock, next sharpening one or 2 teeth might get 4 strokes and left a little gnarly. It's important to file them all the same. Same angle, same number of strokes, same pressure. I usually only hit the rakers once in a chain's lifetime.

I was walking up the road last week listening to someone cutting with his chainsaw and thinking it sounded dull, there was no chain bite causing the engine to actually work. Turned out to be an aquaintence, i was chatting and looking at the dust he had made and commented that it looked like his saw was dull. He pulled out a little grinder thing, proceeded to take off way too much metal and only half ass sharpen his chain. He didn't have a flat file and his rakers were too high. I shrugged.
    I haven’t been cutting for as long as you. 10 years cutting 4-6cords for home heating. 6 Years fire fighting/falling. This is all really good tips. However I only sharpen each tooth till sharp and adjust each raker with a gauge. Saves a lot of time filing, instead of sharpening each tooth the same amount (which means taking off the same amount of metal on every tooth to match the worst one on the chain.) also you get way more life out of a chain. has worked fine for me. But I most likely hit rocks more than you. Cutting a fuel free around fires in the Rocky Mountains is a great rock finding exercise.

Also new Stihl 500i is a pretty amazing saw. Not perfect but really nice to run all day. I would like to get one as my next personal saw.

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Also new Stihl 500i is a pretty amazing saw. Not perfect but really nice to run all day. I would like to get one as my next personal saw.

You must be buckin' that Big Wood down in Fennario to need a saw like that?

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Clean the air filter, clean the plug or new plug, sharpen chain, clean the bar, clean the clutch drum, new gas.
    Did all of these today + arrestor and she runs great. Don’t know which one it was but something gave!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."