Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The chainsaw thread...

who has opinions on gas chainsaws?
    who has what?
    Looking for lightweight 18" or 20", stone reliable. I am actually thinking of retrofitting every bolt with titanium. Think crazy-ass high end project. a silencer would be an excellent addition?
    Opinions?

I got a Husky 350 that ran me around $350. 18-20 chain, can't remember. Had no problems with her for the last 2 years. Its a very nice consumer saw, just a small step below a pro-grade saw. Anyway, Husky is the shit and Stihl will do the job too.
    Last edited by GheePup; 08-06-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    If you had a nickel for every nickel he has, you would have a lot of fuckin' nickels!

My Stihl been working great for 'bout 20 years. Stars right up every year.

Husqy or Stihl, whichever has better local parts/service. They are both bomber.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Husky! I never liked the balance of a stihl although they may be plenty reliable if you like the feel.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

My standard (and 100% successful) advice to most people looking for a saw is to get either the Husqvarna 455 Rancher or the Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. It doesn't much matter which one you get - they're basically very equivalent, and they're both classics with long good track records, and they'll both handle 18-20 inch bars. Try them both out at the dealer and go for whichever feels best and/or has the best deal.

The only other brand to consider is probably Jonsered, but those aren't as common. Just go get the Stihl MS290 Farm Boss or Husky 455 Rancher. You'll have to go to a dealer to buy them - unless you go to eBay - and that's not a bad thing. Don't forget to keep your chain sharp and out of the dirt and rocks, and use ear plugs.

I've been running the Husky for a few years now with great results, but I had a Stihl before that that was great. IME, it's pretty much 6 of one, a half-dozen of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Looking for lightweight 18" or 20", stone reliable. I am actually thinking of retrofitting every bolt with titanium. Think crazy-ass high end project. a silencer would be an excellent addition?
    Opinions?
    Why so lightweight?

Could this be the reason ? --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ4Unv808Wo
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper
    ...and use ear plugs.
    Ear plugs? Real men don't use ear plugs. Would Chuck Norris use ear plus? Hell no!!! Come to think of it, Chuck Norris wouldn't even need a chainsaw. He would just buck up the logs with his bare hands. Karate chop, karate chop, karate chop..."three rounds bitch, now throw them in the back of the truck."
    If you had a nickel for every nickel he has, you would have a lot of fuckin' nickels!

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinions about this.

My own preference when I stopped cutting everyday (I haven't been a sawyer since 2003, so take this for what it's worth):
    Husqvarna 372...Oregon 28" Lasertip (no sprocket-tip) bar....always full skip and low on the rakers. Otherwise bone-stock. If you want big power run the carb lean and run a rich fuel/oil mix with high octane gas and honda synthetic oil

Everyone has their own opinions though.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Why so lightweight?

Could this be the reason ? --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ4Unv808Wo
    Nah, I believe in Darwinian selection...
    more like:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/mod/...ges/1091-1.jpg

Last edited by rideit; 08-06-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Ooooo, a chainsaw thread. I've got two husqvarnas. One I bought used about 15 years ago, it likes to flood out if you don't pay attention, the other I bought new about 12 years ago, it fires up first or second pull every time and always runs great. I used a Stihl when I slashed at the ski hill for 3 summers, it was a real nice saw too
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan
    I'm sure everyone will have their own opinions about this.

My own preference when I stopped cutting everyday (I haven't been a sawyer since 2003, so take this for what it's worth):
    Husqvarna 372...Oregon 28" Lasertip (no sprocket-tip) bar....always full skip and low on the rakers. Otherwise bone-stock. If you want big power run the carb lean and run a rich fuel/oil mix with high octane gas and honda synthetic oil
    Heh, firefighters. I suppose that could be a nice homeowner saw. Perfect if you're dropping big snags or running the second saw through a mature timber stand or heavy blowdown, maybe be a little much for cutting firewood and cleaning up the lot. But they don't make it any more, unfortunately - the 575xp replaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by GheePup
    Ear plugs? Real men don't use ear plugs. Would Chuck Norris use ear plus? Hell no!!!
    What? What did you say?
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 08-06-2006 at 05:36 PM.

I have 2 Stihl saws a MS290 farmboss, and a MS 260, both great saws, never had a problem with either one. I would recommend either one.
    I sell Echo saws and would also recommend them, the CS 520 is a nice saw, and starts real easy, I've done very little warranty work on their products.

My Jonsered is heavy, it has big balls, and I wanted to get some manly talk in today.

edit... jonsered is a very serious contender...not a toy..if available close to you, check em out
    edit #2 well fuck ..you did say light weight didn't ya......never mind, shirley
    Last edited by train07; 08-06-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by train07
    edit #2 well fuck ..you did say light weight didn't ya......never mind, shirley
    Well, when you are doing 6-8 hour, 6,000 foot climbing mt. bike rides with the saw IN YOUR PACK, I 'guess' that you could call me shirley....

now why didn't ya say so .... better yet, say no more
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Thumbs down

I suck at chainsawing which is scary.

I don't know a lot about saws so my vote is pretty useless, but the father in law is a logger and won't use anything but Jonsared. Maybe check the weight differences? My dad has a Stihl that has been around for 15 years...thing runs like a top. We only cut about a semi load of wood every year with the Stihl, but still...it's reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by GheePup
    I got a Husky 350 that ran me around $350. 18-20 chain, can't remember. Had no problems with her for the last 2 years. Its a very nice consumer saw, just a small step below a pro-grade saw. Anyway, Husky is the shit and Stihl will do the job too.
    Just got the same and it works great... had to cut up this 60' pine after a little wind storm blew onto my trailer. Amazingly enough, there only one small hole in the roof!

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Everytime I offer to chainsaw something around the yard, my husband says "No!"

What a party pooper.

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    who has opinions on gas chainsaws?
    who has what?
    Opinions?
    Bolts don't break on saws very often, and many are threaded into plastic these days, so no need for titanium.

And a sllencer would only rob power. As well, today's saw mufflers, especially Stihls, are way too restricted, in order to meet EPA pollution and noise guidelines. Thus, many of us pros have modified our saws. A ported muffler can reduce cut times by 20% or more, and allow the saw to run cooler, which means it can last longer. I have close to 15 saws that also have been fully modified for work, not racing, and cut 50% or more faster than stock.

There are many good saws on the market.....and many of the non pro saws are very good. I would recommend a reasonably light non pro saw like the Husky 353 or 350, versus the heavy new 455 Rancher or 290 Stihl. The 250 Stihl is a nice small saw. But Shindaiwa, Efco, Jonsered, and Dolmar all make good saws. My current favorite is the 3cube $375 Dolmar 5100S. It, along with the 7900 Dolmar, is outstanding in build quality and power to weight.

But, for a non-pro, it would be better to choose a saw based on what brand has the best dealer support. Overall, that would be Stihl.

Here's the last cut on a huge maple we removed last week....new home going in, Picnic Point, north Edmonds. All wood and debris was carted off in 3 trash truck loads, prolly weighed 30-40 tons! The trunks went to Urban Hardwoods, who makes custom furniture from wood supplied by PNW arborists. The saw is my modded Husky 3120 w/42" bar. It is pushing upwards of 13 hp.

yeah!

3120=

We couldn't do much with government mufflers except pulling the screens on fire saws....the screen went back in for project work.

this thread kicks ass!

Light and quiet. This project is about stealth, not power.

SHHHH.

Stealth, eh? Hmm, Chain saws are loud, but maybe consider the time-tested, labor-intensive, but nearly silent Misery Whip:

Not gonna fit in your pack real well, but it'll make a man out of you. And the only way anyone will know what you've been up to will be the size of your arms.

Edit: Seriously, sounds like one of those smaller Stihls that rbtree recommended might be the ticket.
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 08-07-2006 at 12:36 PM.