Page 62 of 79 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1952
    Moved from the Husky 350 after 17 years to the 455 and love it. Need a little
    Husky T 435 for little shit.
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, I pulled the trigger on the Husqy 455 rancher, I stared long and hard at the pro model, but I just cant justify the extra coin for a saw I wouldn't utilize enough.
    You will get good use out of the saw. Also, be gentle with the on off switch, somehow I snapped part of mine. It still works, but no longer protrudes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sthil vs Husky is like Ford vs Chevy they are both pretty good thro in Poulan and that might be the yugo

really the question is did you buy the right saw for you application ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So there’s been lots of good feedback on battery power saws for light applications. I’m digging mine. More power jumping to gas at some point would be nice but comes with a lot of hassles.

Wondering what experience people have using battery power in wet. Mine has a pretty big disclaimer not to. Seems unavoidable sometimes though. Wanting to clear some downed limbs from the heavy snow.

I do not know the answer, but that’d be a pretty big bummer if you could not use those battery saws in the wet. What’s the story with bigger battery saws?

And with the fuel injected saws? I’ve only heard positive about that 500i saw.

I ran through several tanks with my “big” saw, ms361 with an extra muffler exhaust port and the carb that I tuned myself. Mostly bucking a big 20’ pine log left by the utility, over 30” diameter with my 24” bar and a new skiptooth chain. Cutting like butter. Super fun, and the saw was running great: quick and responsive getting to full rpm quick to settle down to idle, idle great while I adjusted stuff, leaning out when it’s running low of fuel, etc.

My last tank, I bucked up some smaller logs, and the saw kept dying when I’d set it down idling while I fiddled with the logs. It’d start back up on a pull or two and cut well, but sometimes was not as responsive getting up to speed with the throttle. This all occurred as it started to rain hard on me. Where should I start troubleshooting? Air filter? Fuel delivery? Does anybody prophylactically replace their fuel line and fuel filter? Mine are 4 or 5 years old with a lot of tanks run through them, mostly using nonethanol fuel. I’d imagine that the saw would lean-out if the fuel system isn’t providing enough fuel, which is opposite of what I experienced. Thoughts and feelings?

only thing I do is I bought an extra airfilter which I swap/wash after every shift, I leave it on top of an idling Rancillio Sylvia to let the heat dry it out slowly

If i haven't used a can of pre-mix in a season I thro it in the truck or snow blower and I only use premium in small engines

No issues on the 261 doing these ^^ 2 thing religiously

I think our fuel is pretty good up here ?

other than idle speed i have left the other 2 screws the fuck alone since new

When was the last time you replaced the air filter? A good place to start if it’s been a while.

But my thought is carb adjustments. Since you mentioned this,
    sometimes was not as responsive getting up to speed with the throttle
    Specifically, I’d check the low speed adjustment, because that will affect both your idle and the run up to working revs. And there’s always the main idle adjustment screw. Check this out.
    https://chainsaw-workshop-manual.com...aw-carburetor/

I’m thinking that the rain thing was maybe just coincidence. Carbs sometimes just go out of adjustment. Anyway, start with a fresh filter, run thru the carb adjustment and see how that works.

The chainsaw thread...

Thx!

Air filter was purchased in the fall/summer. Maybe 15 tanks with it.

I mentioned the sluggishness getting up to full rpm on purpose. It went through several tanks with it acting well behaved and responsive before it started misbehaving on the last tank.

However, I’m a novice at tuning a carb and previously used that madsen (sp?) website to get mine tune. I’ll start with another air filter. It’d be good to have a spare.

I think the rain thing is a coincidence. The barometric pressure changed, but not by so much, I’d imagine, to affect the saw like that.

The chainsaw thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    So there’s been lots of good feedback on battery power saws for light applications. I’m digging mine. More power jumping to gas at some point would be nice but comes with a lot of hassles.

Wondering what experience people have using battery power in wet. Mine has a pretty big disclaimer not to. Seems unavoidable sometimes though. Wanting to clear some downed limbs from the heavy snow.
    Meh, I run a Milwaukee chainsaw in wet snow and a light rain, no problems. I’ve run other Milwaukee cordless tools in heavy rain, never had issues.

Edited to add, I don’t know anyone who have had issues with cordless tools working in the rain of the PNW. It’s probably not good for the tool, but does not seem to cause failures.

Good to know thanks. Fairly arid here so I generally just avoid. Hard to imagine Stihl is making a cordless that can’t get a little wet, but extra cost might buy some extra moisture mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thx!

Air filter was purchased in the fall/summer. Maybe 15 tanks with it.

I mentioned the sluggishness getting up to full rpm on purpose. It went through several tanks with it acting well behaved and responsive before it started misbehaving on the last tank.

However, I’m a novice at tuning a carb and previously used that madsen (sp?) website to get mine tune. I’ll start with another air filter. It’d be good to have a spare.

I think the rain thing is a coincidence. The barometric pressure changed, but not by so much, I’d imagine, to affect the saw like that.
    No experience with these new saws so take this for what it's worth, but, I clean out the air filter on my old Homie every day I use it - blow out w compressed air. A day of cutting leaves a ton of shit in there. What you describing sounds like some kinda dirty filter, especially if it was running just fine right up until then.

yup ^^ a plugged air filter alters the mixture

in addition to washing the filter apres every shift I clean out the bar groove, clean all the shit out of the cooling fins, clean all the shit out of the sprocket area, flip the bar over, sharpen the chain, sharpen the spare chains with a jig in my shop while having a beverage.

cuz its much faster to not deal with a saw that isnt running right, much faster to just swap a chain as opposed to trying to sharpen it while kneeling in the snow, maybe you had to carry this fucking saw up/down a mountain so it better work perfect

in other words find a maintenance program that works for you and do it ... pretend you are doing this for money

Or just wait till it don't work very good and say something pro-found in your best slack jawed yokel voice
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-25-2021 at 09:57 PM.

The chainsaw thread...

My little ms261 out cut a 465 rancher with a 28” bar the other day. Buddy was giving me shit for a little saw until I was completing rounds faster. Even on the logs that he could get in 1 cut and took me 2. Most logs were 20-35”. Both had new chains, but he was running premium with ethanol and I had pre-mix 93 octane.

The chainsaw thread...

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    My little ms261 out cut a 465 rancher with a 28” bar the other day. Buddy was giving me shit for a little saw until I was completing rounds faster. Even on the logs that he could get in 1 cut and took me 2. Most logs were 20-35”. Both had new chains, but he was running premium with ethanol and I had pre-mix 93 octane.
    Are you going to port your muffler (and adjust your carb)? That’ll surprise your friend!
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 04-30-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Are you going to port your muffler (and adjust your carb)? That’ll surprise your friend!
    I’d like to. Not sure where to take it though. It did a nice job cleaning up after the pros dropped this 30” forked Live Oak that was over hanging my bedroom.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3147.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	375550

Was fun watching them work. Crew leader was a woman who was also their best climber.

^^That's awesome^^ The best rescue tech in our mountain rescue unit is a female and a total badass.

I'm here to report on some experimenting with working a little more efficiently. I'm in the middle of a tree thinning project and been bucking up the downed trees (83 so far) into firewood rounds. I use my Milwaukee 18v with a 12ah battery for felling and limbing. I accumulate a dozen or so logs on the ground and break out the Stihl MS 460 for bucking. It's ported and I'm trying to minimize the noise my neighbors have to put up with. Anyway, I was initially using a 20" bar for the sake of weight but my lower back has started bugging me as I get older. I saw some reference to using longer bars for bucking so you can stand up straight. I have a couple of longer bars and chains so the last couple of weekends I used the 32" bar. It's a little tougher on the arms but made a big difference on my back. The other improvement was using a 32" hookaroon for picking up all but the largest rounds. It's nice to save my back for riding, skiing, climbing etc and thought I'd pass it along.

Popping an extra strength robaxecet and chugging a bottle of water as soon as you turn off the saw helps a bunch IME, also 300 mg of magnesium citrate are good for bike/ saw/ ski recoverey

The chainsaw thread...

First use of the new 455 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3533.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	377219

Name:	IMG_3539.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	377220

The thing is a beast. Very impressive. It’s a little heavier than I thought it would be. But man she cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

First use of the new 455 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3533.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	377219

Name:	IMG_3539.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	377220

The thing is a beast. Very impressive. It’s a little heavier than I thought it would be. But man she cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Glad to hear it is serving you well. It's not light, but it is pretty user friendly versatile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

that’s a great saw
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

First use of the new 455
    A little heavy yes but pound for pound the best saw out there. I've been running my 455 for a decade, the thing is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    No experience with these new saws so take this for what it's worth, but, I clean out the air filter on my old Homie every day I use it - blow out w compressed air. A day of cutting leaves a ton of shit in there. What you describing sounds like some kinda dirty filter, especially if it was running just fine right up until then.
    Do yourself a favor and run that Homie w/out mix oil. Homies are much more taxing on the body than any other saw newer than ~1985.

^ heh. Actually not bad advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZiRFXSg7So

261 vs dewalt electric compro

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^ heh. Actually not bad advice.
    Depending on the year the chain brakes and vibration absorption are woefully inadequate. Vibrations led to carpal tunnel for me after only two 6-month seasons on XL-12 and 925's. They overheat at altitude and are just a bear to keep running in the summer.