Page 42 of 79 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1952
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Just started using (trail building and maintenance) my new battery powered Stihl MSA 200 C-BQ saw. With or without the hip mounted external battery pack the thing is crazy light, quiet, and surprisingly capable (powers through 12" logs) given the short (14") and thin bar/teeth. I bought two high capacity batteries, but expect I'll rarely need them. I expect I'll only be using my MS261 for the heaviest of work.
    I'm looking at the same for trail maintenance. What did it all end up costing? Looked at Husky but reviews make it seem that battery issue isn't being addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    I'm looking at the same for trail maintenance. What did it all end up costing? Looked at Husky but reviews make it seem that battery issue isn't being addressed.
    I paid just over a $1100 (Canadian) taxes in, for the saw with the 14” bar, two high capacity batteries, the belt pack and adapter, and and the rapid charger.

Sadly I started in on trimming down my English walnut tree today. He has been a long friend but it's his last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Sadly I started in on trimming down my English walnut tree today. He has been a long friend but it's his last year.
    Not sure if English is asnice but black walnut makes beautiful boards if you know anyone who can mill it for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N7iX911.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	281801

Got a sweet hinge break on an awkward AF cut, dropped it 3 feet from the deck.

Probably not worth the trouble to mill it. Lot of core rotted out of the butt end. Been worried with it every wind storm we get here and living near a river gap we get lots of wind. One more big section to go, gonna have to wait until I have time to mess with it. At least now I know its not gonna hit the house/deck.
    watch out for snakes

Stump Shot—Two inches or more difference in the height of the horizontal cut of the undercut (face) and the back cut. The difference in height establishes a step that will prevent a tree from jumping back over the stump toward the faller.

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N7iX911.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	281801

Got a sweet hinge break on an awkward AF cut, dropped it 3 feet from the deck.

Probably not worth the trouble to mill it. Lot of core rotted out of the butt end. Been worried with it every wind storm we get here and living near a river gap we get lots of wind. One more big section to go, gonna have to wait until I have time to mess with it. At least now I know its not gonna hit the house/deck.
    I’d consider milling it if you have a source. Could be some nice crotch figure in that wood.

Could be worth 100x plus vs. firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah it sucks if you don't have it when you need it especially if its cuz you lost it, I would put something down and forget it where I had been cutting so I bought one of them hi vis yellow cruising vests

it has a bunch of velcro'd pockets so I can carry 2 wedges, compression bandage, phone,radio, plug wrench file & guide, oil, food n water and with a belt loop on my chap belt for a small axe ... I always got what i need

there are lotsa good you tube vids to watch about how to fall trees eh
    That is a serious but good kit you are carrying around with you. I have most of that stuff on hand when I am cutting fire wood alone, but rarely on me. I will often wear a Spot device too. But I’ll think to carry the compression bandage in the future.

- I am here for the stoke

When you next renew your compression bandage, try out an israeli bandage. Better site compression, easier to add more pads under the wrap as they soak, can be applied with one hand, and its packaging is more durable. Chainsaw bites are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    That is a serious but good kit you are carrying around with you. I have most of that stuff on hand when I am cutting fire wood alone, but rarely on me. I will often wear a Spot device too. But I’ll think to carry the compression bandage in the future.
    we gota walk up or down a ski run to where we cut so if you didn't bring it you don't have it, all that gear will be heavy to wear ^^ during a day of cutting so I usually off load fuel & water at my fuel cache when I get to where we are cutting

You don't want to need a bandage but its a is a really good idea to carry in a pocket, the saw instructor told us not to put it in the top of your helmet just in case you get stuck and your helmet comes off ... you can't reach it

Oh yeah very important carry some poo paper

don't cut alone, I always wear my chaps but i will take them off for the hike in/out cuz its easier to hike

After emptying those little stihl pre-mix bottles I refill them with chain oil ( rip off the label & mark the bottle as chain oil ) they are easy to carry/ spill proof/slightly more capacity than needed to fill the chain oiler so I just take as many bottles as I will burn tanks of fuel, I pretty much got it down as to how much fuel/oil I need but if i run out, its usually time to shut the saw off chug a water & pop a robaxecet any how

drugs have kicked in by the time i get back to the truck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

When (if?!) I retire, I want that ^^^ to be part of my life. Hell, I’d like to do that now.

I drove through paradise, CA yesterday. It looks like (and I’ve been told) that it’s a bit of a free for all related to timber work in the previously built-out areas.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    When (if?!) I retire, I want that ^^^ to be part of my life. Hell, I’d like to do that now.

I drove through paradise, CA yesterday. It looks like (and I’ve been told) that it’s a bit of a free for all related to timber work in the previously built-out areas.
    Right, but remember, this dude pretty much won the lottery when it comes to his situation. We should all be so lucky.

The chainsaw thread...

My up to this point reliable old Dolmar 113 just wouldn’t start yesterday after I shut it off. Cold, it fired right up. Shut it off and it was just dead. No spark what so ever, not even faint. Getting a couple new spark plugs (stupidly I didn’t have a spare) but I have the feeling it’s something else like maybe the on off switch? It’s an old saw... If a new plug won’t spark, what to try next and do I just cut my loses and go buy a new saw? I almost went and bought one yesterday but the Stihl dealer was closed.

Maybe I should get the rancher then put a little 14” bar on the Dolmar once fixed...

Maybe the switch, but in this order, check the: spark plug, plug wire, switch, and ignition coil.

did you goggle "Dolmar 113 no spark" ?

I walked past the thing tonight and figured, I’ll just give it a try. First pull with choke and it turned over, second pull without it and it fired right up, idled fine, everything. Still has the same plug and everything in it. Fucker. I think it’s time to get a second saw.

My first saw acted like that. Ignition coil was/is that saw's problem. Google searching led me to realize it was a known problem with that particular saw.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app

sounds ^^ like something to do with spark but I would google the problem/start a thread on one of the arborist sites instead of asking a bucnha fucking dentists

if you are thinking about a new saw i duno how much saw you need but all the guys I have been cutting with tend to show up with a 50 or 60 cc pro quality saws cuz they will rev higher and run all day long, they are all orange eh but the performance difference of a forestry grade to a homeowner saw is obvious when you get them side by side, I lent mine to buddy so he could cut his cheap old saw out of a bar pinch and he commented right away that he could feel the difference and would be looking for a better saw

Pro saws arent cheap but ... you buy them once

An old logger once told me - if you buy quality, you only cry the one time at the store. Buy shit and you will be crying all the time...and be back at the store.

Just try a new ignition coil. Or at least price it.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    An old logger once told me - if you buy quality, you only cry the one time at the store. Buy shit and you will be crying all the time...and be back at the store.

Meh, I made a bunch of mistakes with my first saw and glad I got some of the bullshit out of the way with a shit saw I was never concerned about from the day I brought it home. I like quivers of everything. Bikes, trucks, skis, etc. Looking forward to a 2nd saw soon. Shit saw in reserve for dirty low braches and stumps etc.

As for that coil question, could have been just more moisture in the air/condensation?

Put a new carb, hoses, fuel and air filters on the 026 and it rips now.

Hopefully next paycheck will be converting to 3/8 on a much longer bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Meh, I made a bunch of mistakes with my first saw and glad I got some of the bullshit out of the way with a shit saw I was never concerned about from the day I brought it home. I like quivers of everything. Bikes, trucks, skis, etc. Looking forward to a 2nd saw soon. Shit saw in reserve for dirty low braches and stumps etc.
    What about the suckage of all that time running a piece of shit that doesn't produce ?

IME one is either running a saw for fun or money and either way a good saw makes sense, in any case I'm betting if you don't care about the saw you got and the job you are doing, you are too cheap to spend 2 or 3 times as much $$$ to buy a pro grade saw

and BTW, I got some really shitty skis I will sell ya

Blah blah. I should probably run out and buy a $20,000 motorcycle for my first too, eh?

It was frustrating at the time and I’m still behind partially as a result, but I feel the better for having bought an abused pro-level saw and bringing it back to life.

However receiving a brand new high end saw as a gift (while the other saw was in multiple pieces on the bench saved me ass).