Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Light and quiet. This project is about stealth, not power.

SHHHH.

Sounds like you're planning on doing some clandestine bc work in the woods to open up some bc runs a bit.

Did a bunch of that years ago at Crystal, most was in the north bc and with the area's blessing, but we also ventured out past the area boundary a few times...... the Forest Service wouldn't have been too happy about that, but all we were doing was brush clearing. In the patrolled north bc, we cut a bunch of 5-10 inch caliper trees to the ground.

The IBUKI at this link will blaze through a 5-6 inch cut with ease: http://www.wesspur.com/saws/silky-hand-saws.html
    Or, you could buy a 21 inch blade Corona handsaw from me that I don't use; it is like new and cuts quite fast.

Not applicable for you, but there are thieves who search out musical instrument quality figured big leaf maple here the PNW. They attach a tube to their mufflers and route it into a water container. Not too portable, I'd guess.....

If all you need is a small, light, cheap saw, and quiet, the Echo 300 series can still be found at Home Depot for about $200. Reliable saw!
    Last edited by rbtree; 08-07-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Looks like I'm going with a Stihl 361 pro-grade saw for my firewood needs. 4.4hp, 20" bar, 12.3 lbs. I'm gonna lose 30% of my horsepower at 10,000' so the guy at the shop reccomended at least 4hp. Not cheap though ~ $599 for a new one with bar and 2 chains. At least I'll be toasty warm this winter, heating my house for free.
    Old's Cool.

Good point!!
    Can you jet the high end ones like dirt bikes?
    I will be doing some work @ 10K as well.
    Hmmm.

I've been cutting wood most of my life and for many years (80's to mid 90's) we used a homelite saw. They were cheaper than Stihl and Husky's and worked quite well. Well my father bought a new one and the thing sucked. It was cheaply made compared to previous models. It was like quality control was non-existent.

Now we use a Stihl and it is great. Reminds me of the Stihls I used when cleared trail as part of my summer job. Solidly built and dependable.

Rideit-Where is your project? I understand if you dont want to give your secret up, but if you do anything around western wyoming, you will of course post it here so that other maggots might enjoy your labor, wont you?

Again, understandable if you dont want to say anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I love it when shitweasels get there panties all in a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit
    Looks like I'm going with a Stihl 361 pro-grade saw for my firewood needs. 4.4hp, 20" bar, 12.3 lbs. I'm gonna lose 30% of my horsepower at 10,000' so the guy at the shop reccomended at least 4hp. Not cheap though ~ $599 for a new one with bar and 2 chains. At least I'll be toasty warm this winter, heating my house for free.
    Three questions: Have you bought it yet? What are you cutting? Are you trying to save a little $$?

Reason I ask is that typically the trees found at 10k ft aren't that big, so unless you're regularly cutting something >18" dia, then despite what the shop guy says a smaller saw like the 290 will do fine, IMO. If you're going for big punkins, ignore me. That's a nice saw in any event, and if you don't mind paying for it, you'll be happy. Chainsaws are a lot like dicks in that bigger ones are more impressive and more fun.

C,mon over to the big holes with your mt. Bike, and all will be revealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper
    Three questions: Have you bought it yet? What are you cutting? Are you trying to save a little $$?
    no, haven't bought it yet.

cutting firewood and gonna help my buddy out with his tree clearing business on the side. I decided I wanted one of the "pro-grade" saws from Stihl. I used my buddy's and it was a real nice saw(036pro). I was thinking of the 260pro, but at 3.2hp(-30% @ 10K) I'm gonna go with the 361(newer model of the 036pro) @ 4.4hp.

Money isn't that much of an issue as I was planning on dropping some dough for it and the difference at my local dealer between the 260pro and the 361 is $100 and he claims I'm gonna be a lot happier with the extra hp.
    Old's Cool.

Been shopping for a little bit. I settled on a Husky 460. 24 inch bar, >4hp, anti-vibration, decompression start, <13 lbs and was $420 with a Husky case. I was seriously considering the Stihl 361, but I would have had to wait a couple of weeks and shelled out another $100 including case. Should fit the bill for a firewood\around the house saw.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit
    ... cutting firewood and gonna help my buddy out with his tree clearing business on the side. I decided I wanted one of the "pro-grade" saws from Stihl. ...

Money isn't that much of an issue as I was planning on dropping some dough for it and the difference at my local dealer between the 260pro and the 361 is $100 and he claims I'm gonna be a lot happier with the extra hp.
    Them're good enough reasons. You will dig the extra hp. I was just coming from the $$-saving angle.

Quote Originally Posted by assgasorgrass
    Been shopping for a little bit. I settled on a Husky 460. 24 inch bar, >4hp, anti-vibration, decompression start, <13 lbs and was $420 with a Husky case. I was seriously considering the Stihl 361, but I would have had to wait a couple of weeks and shelled out another $100 including case. Should fit the bill for a firewood\around the house saw.
    that's a sweet deal.

yeah, I would've looked into a husky but the one dealer here doesn't service them anymore.

man, I'm getting stoked to cut some trees! (pumps fist)
    Last edited by cmsummit; 08-15-2006 at 02:57 PM.
    Old's Cool.

I'm a Husky fan, but the new 460 is doggy just like the 455 Rancher...heavy and underpowered, though an improvement over the 455. The 361 is a very sweet saw! The comparable Husky is the 357XP. I have a modded one by Ed Heard out of Ontario and love it. But the 361 really wakes up when woods ported by a pro saw builder. Here's a video after Ed got done building a 361:
    http://www.chainsawperformance.com/a...5&d=1151353414
    Last edited by rbtree; 08-15-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Need a new saw and was looking at the Husky 350 20" too. Everyone still diggin' their's?

This one.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Light and quiet. This project is about stealth, not power.

SHHHH.
    You're treading a dark and narrow path, my friend. One I myself have walked.

Keep it secret, keep it safe and good luck.

Oh yeah - Husky 55 Rancher, 18" bar. Pretty heavy. I never rode with it on my back - I'd hike it in and stash it - I had stashes all over, just like Charly. Then there's always a bowsaw. Light, silent and you'll have Popeye arms really quick.

I got an Echo CS440 last bout 1.5 yrs ago. I didnt know anything about chain saws at the time. I bought it cause it was the best one they had at home depot, and they were offering 1yr 0% financing. Good to see this old thread and see that Echos have a decent rep. It has been trouble free so far, and cuts well, 18inch chain..440cc, Paid about $250 for it I think

Stihl ms 250 works well for my needs, haven't taken it trail building yet. The loppers and the machete where in use today on a little project. shhh.

Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World
    I have used a Husky 345 with a 16" bar for about 7 years. Most of my cutting is limited to no more than about 24", so the small bar works fine. Th esaw has been reliable, has great balance, cuts like a banshee and it is still small enough to easily handle while climbing up in the tree canopy.

Please dont harm the forest anymore. You people are fakes you think you are greenies and you operate two strokes in the forest.Complete contradiction.

Burning wood should be banned,all chainasaws should be banned,and people should be banned from the Wilderness/Roadless areas to protect biodiversity.

You call yourself leftists? Poseurs.

Sit on this, JONG! 185 horsepower of wood cutting power!! My bud Gary on the controls, all 77 inches of him....

Quote Originally Posted by Voice for the Animals View Post
    Burning wood should be banned
    This one made me laugh.

Brett has a bee in his bonnet.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Need a new saw and was looking at the Husky 350 20" too. Everyone still diggin' their's?

This one.
    Yep, that's a good small saw. But, for a few $ more, the 353 is quite a bit better....magnesium crankcase.. and a bit more power. Here http://www.alamia.com/index.asp?PG=50&ID=124&EM=1 , it's the same price as the 350 at Northern Tool, and there's extras thrown in.....

Still in the 3 cube class is this Dolmar 5100S that I had modified and piped. 6 horsepower out of an 11 pound powerhead, now that's a fast little saw...but, even stock, is more saw than you need.
    Last edited by rbtree; 06-24-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Can I run a White Brothers e pipe and Renthal bars on that thing, with a revlock clutch?
    Sichter!
    How about altitude jetting?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sure, bro...come on over....we've lots of toys to play with....

But be sure to bring the lube for the muffler bearing