there is a sunrise draping,
    a bird call
    a branch laden with the weight
    of the sky.

To go back to the turn,
    I have to wait for the hard ground,
    but to be in the turn,
    I must only turn around
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I was thinking the same thing last night. First time in a long time that temps after work were conducive to climbing. However, this is just a sucker spell of cool weather...and I'm still trying to peak for the climbing season!
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.

Every year in the PNW we go through a small cycle of "hot" (for us) temps followed by the inevidible cool down, usually into the 60's. Seems like it always happens the last week of July or first week of August. Every year my dad mentions that it feels like fall and that winter will be here soon. I usually argue with him about how there's still alot of summer left. This year I agreed with him.

My workout routine is in place, hope to be back at Mofro261-full speed this winter.

But there are still ~600+ vert patches of snow on Upper International right now.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Been biking and skiing in the high alpine - checking out new lines - making new plans for the season. Found some other partners who're just as stoked about mountains and the outdoors and seem to have the same mindset. Its' going to be a good season for turns.

In the past week or two, we've gone from overnight lows in the 60's to the 40's. It's still kind of dark now when I get up and the bees are going frickin' nuts like they normally do in the fall. I've got ski videos playing on at least a weekly basis and I'm getting sick of golfing. Still, I'm probably 3 months away from my first turns and I'm only two weeks past my last turns. I'm not convinced the turn has made it yet but it's definitely closer than it was yesterday. I'm near the top of the hill but haven't quite crested it yet...

here I thought he was telling us he was refering to his change over to snowboarding, Alta it gat and the pain train is being exchanged for botters and rails.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Quote Originally Posted by Barnballs
    hit it Tuesday....couldn't get out of the car this am. and of course the bar-pad was missing, so the spine-bruise is back. I hate doing legs.
    Bar-pad...bwahahahahahahaha!!!!
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Xover
    have YOU made the turn yet??? if not, how far are you from it?? your soul knows and it is surely closer than your mind or heart actually realize!!!
    Where have you been all summer ya lil' smack talking pussy!
    we've been turning 'em all summer. couple highlights you probably missed!

two of the most rewarding ascents/descents of the year came in the summer, fool! Get yer ass up here next summer.
    Cooper Spur, NE Face of Hood - hanging with some mad exposure & your boy 'Stash
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56942

Sahale Glacier/North Cascades - a damn near incredible day, set of lines, and views
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56181

the turn? always in the turn. staying in shape is a year-round drive.
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 08-04-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    Edit:

FUCK THAT! Just got an email from Powstash, he's training hard, his brain isn't bleeding, his house is done, and he's available to ski this year. Same goes for Xover. Always fun to shit talk non-stop in the skin track for 4k.

Also psyched to hopefully make first turns with Iskibc in Mexico of all places. If he gets his shit together.

Can't wait to ski with Stoy again. Raging the PC turns and hopefully Nebo.

And Gramps is going to be stronger than a mofo this year with his work schedule. Watch out for that little bastard!

And APD, if you have time, let's drag you away from hucking bombs for some turns across the road.

Yup, I'm ready. Just have to get a little climbing out of the way first.
    YOU KNOW YOU'RE GOING HELI THIS YEAR...GIVE IN TO THE DARK SIDE
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    YOU KNOW YOU'RE GOING HELI THIS YEAR...GIVE IN TO THE DARK SIDE
    Yup, and snowcat in Dorkwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    Edit:

FUCK THAT! Just got an email from Powstash, he's training hard, his brain isn't bleeding, his house is done, and he's available to ski this year. Same goes for Xover. Always fun to shit talk non-stop in the skin track for 4k.

Also psyched to hopefully make first turns with Iskibc in Mexico of all places. If he gets his shit together.

Can't wait to ski with Stoy again. Raging the PC turns and hopefully Nebo.

And Gramps is going to be stronger than a mofo this year with his work schedule. Watch out for that little bastard!

And APD, if you have time, let's drag you away from hucking bombs for some turns across the road.

Yup, I'm ready. Just have to get a little climbing out of the way first.
    I feel left out...

Am I still invited to bring my pics to the slide show next month?

time to start working on my endurance training

Summers seem to last longer here in the East, both mentally and physically. My turn won't hit until after Gauley season, next month. It serves as a good demarcation of the end of summer, when the air begins to get crisp in the Appalachian evenings.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Really nice, X. The heat, chaos and abandonment of summer is waning.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Can't say I've left either. As soon as I packed up the skis (which was early due to this shitty East skiing) I started on a 5 days a week lifting program. All summer I've been working to afford a good West set up for when I go to school in BC. My friends and I built a a small ski ramp to rail to fuck around on (yea perhaps newschoolers style, but balance and coordination are key any which way). We also have been doing some cliff jumps into the lake.

Bring on the snow this winter, I'm going to be in the best shape for skiing that I have ever been.

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    Bar-pad...bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

i use a bar pad with a towel wrapped around it. im a tener boy.

The turn for me has happened as well. Summer is great, I love it, but I love winter more. I've had my fill of sunburns and uncomfortable night's sleep. Skiing just gives my life that little extra somethin' somethin'. The problem is, its only the beginning of August. I usually start to totally lose my mind right around the end of September, when the summer activities wind down. The fall is pretty, but does anyone else agree that October is the worst month of the year simply because it feels like your head is stuck in a vise and its going to get crushed unless it starts snowing? Anyway, next three months gonna be rough. And yeah, I realize I'm a total jong

I just made the turn a couple days ago. It was atypically early for me. Usually the burning desire isn't there for me till the end of October. I am a fairly future-oriented person, but more of the anxious variety than the driven sort. When it comes to doing the things I love though, I tend to be more in-the-moment. It's only when there isn't something else I love to do, that I start thinking about skiing. In New England I always loved the change in the seasons and the weather, simply for what they were, and not because it was a sign that the skiing season was coming closer. I loved my summers there. It's such a short season, and everyone there lived it to the fullest. Seems like I'd be on a fun camping trip every other weekend. There was this great push/pull dynamic. On the hot and humid days, I would go swimming, hang out and drink with friends, watch some baseball with the a/c on. Just when I was getting too wrestless, the weather would break and I could do an ass-kicking hike, run or bike ride or play some ultimate. Just before Labor Day, the heat and humidity would fade, bringing clear, sunny skies with warm days and cool nights; perfect for camping. I always found this comforting and relaxing, but at the same time there was a residual energy leftover from the summertime. Girls would try to get as many more days as they could out of there summer outfits and suntans. If it was a good year for the Red Sox, the playoff hunt would be on. By the end of the month, that crisp fall weather that New England is famous for would arrive and the leaves would start changing, yielding bright yellows, oranges, and reds. As November would near, the weather would go from cool to cold. Most of the time you couldn't get away with just a sweatshirt anymore, if you were going to be outside. The decrease in daylight would be very apparent. This change gave me that appreciation of the force of nature; the type you get during a blizzard or watching a large swell break on the coast. After a few days the novelty of this change would wear off though and my mind would turn toward skiing. From here on out there would be no turning back. As each day would grow shorter, my wrestlesness and thirst for steep slopes and deep snow would increase. .

With my move to Seattle, I'm definitely feeling the effects of being displaced. I love this place and I've had a lot of fun, but the lack of solidarity has been trying at times (even though I haven't been here that long). During the summers back east I never had to try to find something to do, I just had to choose what or where or with whom. Perhaps feeling a temporary lack of self-esteem, I had a vision at work the other day of making turns on some hero snow and terrain. I realized that at that point in time, the only cure for my blues, was skiing. I was jonesing for it in the worst way. Simply put, I moved for the skiing. I really needed to get what I came here for. No dicking around. I don’t want the salesman trying to sell me rust-proofing and scotchguard for my sports car. I wanted the keys right then, so I could hop in and speed away. I'm still waiting. This is the first time 'the turn' has come for me so early. Because of that, I can't say for sure that I've actually made it, but I'm pretty damn sure I have. Unless I find a hobby I enjoy more than skiing (extremely unlikely), or a dream job (also unlikely within the next year), that burning desire for what I came here for, isn't going to go away.

Thumbs up

I think I turned a few weeks ago actually. My season last year was pre-empted by a nice case of MONO and Feb was it. I did get out in May for a day at the Bird and never got any spring touring.

I have been saying around the office that I hate this heat (a few weeks ago) and I am ready for snow again. My coworkers just look at me funny, like I am a retard.

Taking a motorcycle ride up to see FJ tommorow and I know the stoke will hit nicely as soon as the helmet comes off and a cold beer starts flowing. Ski talk, beers, and good friendships!

Stoked to be stoked.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Pilazzo
    The fall is pretty, but does anyone else agree that October is the worst month of the year simply because it feels like your head is stuck in a vise and its going to get crushed unless it starts snowing? Anyway, next three months gonna be rough.
    October is the best. If it snows you ski, if not you go to Moab. The next three months is gonna be fantastic.

I'm in a similar boat as MarsB. I'm used to not even considering skiing until Christmas time, so the possibility of starting in October is just gravy.

I slept with a blanket on the bed last couple of nights,the change is coming!
    Calmer than you dude

Quote Originally Posted by Pilazzo
    The fall is pretty, but does anyone else agree that October is the worst month of the year simply because it feels like your head is stuck in a vise and its going to get crushed unless it starts snowing? Anyway, next three months gonna be rough. And yeah, I realize I'm a total jong
    Hello JONG, and yes...I can totally relate to the head in a vise thing! It's that home stretch that seems to be the toughest.
    (and welcome )
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

it was in the high 20s yesterday when i woke up....the warm spell we were having finally broke and it's now cold & crisp...feeling a bit like fall. i'm not quite ready for the summer to be over (and i'm sure there's another heat wave to go), but i know we're marching closer to the first turns of the fall.

i bet it snowed up on the grand the other day.

Turns

A sweet run laden with pow brings me downward towards thunder lift.
    a turn misplaced takes a toll on my knee
    February and the season is over - a turn for the worse
    from my office window I see the pow turns daily of others.
    The last turn of the bullwheel on the tram. A Season and an era are over.
    Spring turns to summer and rehab turns ugly
    My mind turns and I once again ride the bike, rehab turns on
    From my office I turn my head and see a seasons worth of film being viewed
    The air turns colder
    Fedex turns up with the first shipment of winter schwag
    I swear if I were to close my eyes I can see this green hill out my window turn white

Its past time to turn
    I need to turn

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    I think I turned a few weeks ago actually. My season last year was pre-empted by a nice case of MONO and Feb was it. I did get out in May for a day at the Bird and never got any spring touring.

I have been saying around the office that I hate this heat (a few weeks ago) and I am ready for snow again. My coworkers just look at me funny, like I am a retard.

Taking a motorcycle ride up to see FJ tommorow and I know the stoke will hit nicely as soon as the helmet comes off and a cold beer starts flowing. Ski talk, beers, and good friendships!

Stoked to be stoked.
    Take your camera on the ride, dood. We're expecting a full TR in the motorcycle stoke thread. The views of the Tetons from a bike will be $$$.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

I am begging for the pain of winter in the PNW - fuck it, dare me to move to Utah.
    My home life after moving in with my gf has been a ferocious challenge. The first discussion of ski season came up last night where she said with a punative tone, "I guess I should get ready to be abandoned at 5am for the sake of ski season" and the only comfort I could offer was, "but at least you get to sleep in the same bed as me, no matter the time of year."
    With that I am so committed to making the most of a ski season that will almost certainly be compromised in some way by my gf. I am in the gym 6 days every week. I push myself. I am dialing in my equipment now. I still don't have a job, but by ski season I will - and during the interview process I will lean in, get quiet, make a pronounced pause, and let my future boss know, without any doubt, that skiing makes me better and is thus necessary, so get ready.
    Bring on the turn.
    Last edited by Platinum Pete; 08-04-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    another Handsome Boy graduate