Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Turn"

For the first time this fall, the warning light on my car this morning read: "Ice possible. Drive with caution." Ohhh yeah, buddy! I love that warning!

It felt like 70 degrees at 10,000 feet on Tahoe's Pyramid Peak last Sunday. Dry as far as the eye could see. That said, we're past the turn, winter is coming - the aspens are showing some yellow already.

The trees have changed over the last week or two here. Yesterday, we got a skiff of snow and last night was below freezing. It's happened.

Bring on the snow. Giggety.

still full on summer here in Whistler. awesome extended mtn bike season!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Snowing in Minnesota - buddy called me from Lake Vermillion (up north, heading there after work today) said it's snowing and blowing.

Maybe a bit early yet... but I am ready.

29 degrees this morning at catherine's pass. felt good to be a little cold again. cannot wait.

just made the mistake of watching TGR's Tangerine dream; fuck I want to ski now, and still have more then a month to go...like going to a strip club and not having a girl to go home and post on
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

lighting a campfire in the yard for the first time in a while tonight - finally cool enough to enjoy - I hope it rains
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Thought it would wait 'till next weekend's storms, but darn if it wasn't chilly biking home tonight.

19 this morning....all our leaves have dropped....soon
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Shortening days and yellowing aspen leaves. It will be here soon.

I forgot about this thread.

I felt it a few weeks back as the NPAC started to awaken and deliver small swells here and rain up north.

Still too hot even up here in the mtns.....but it's coming!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Still too hot even up here in the mtns.....but it's coming!

quit fucking your blowup saban sex doll all the time and you'll cool off a little. remember, he's got more and better where you came from.

classic thread. missed it in the past. middle of august this year marked the turn for me!!! longer nights and injuries mending!!!

No turn yet in the Front Range. 98 in Denver today and more of the same looking forward. NWS does say it will get cooler toward the end of the week forecast, but all it ever does is move out to the last day of whatever forecast period you are looking at. 98 in the shade it is.

Annual sand dunes trip weekend after Labor Day usually marks the turn for me. Could it be a problem that I am not going this year...

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Mid 50's to 60's @5:00am @8500ft in Georgetown for weeks now. Some signs of yellow in the aspens, but not really feeling the turn yet. Would be really nice if the recent storm patterns continue when temps start do drop, but you know how that goes.

I fully expect things to dry out as soon as it gets cold enough to snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Love this thread!

The last 7-10 nights in the Tetons have been super warm. A few hot days too. At least we are seeing some moisture but it doesn't feel like fall feels like teasing us at all. The willow brush and some aspens, especially in the Park, are starting to yellow. Cool temps are not far off!

Wawa (regional convenience store) pumpkin spice coffee back in the rotation, central AC off for the past week, patchy frost warnings in higher elevations in New England a few nights ago, season pass purchased.
    Silent....but shredly.

I'm sitting here plotting a FS thread so I can fund the new gear I 'need' this season.. that's this year's "turn" for me.

There's gonna be undrilled Pow + and a bunch of old solly bindings, keep an eye out and help keep my addiction alive! ;-)

JPH are you really looking for an undrilled pow +?
    I have one in my garage.
    Legalize it. Don't criticize it.

The last couple of days up in VT have been nice and cool. Not sure if it will stick around but hopeful that it will.

From the 5th:
    "At 7am this morning, the temperature on Mount Mansfield touched 39 degrees. Tonight is expected to be colder, with temperatures near freezing by morning and wind chills in the 20s."

It felt like November around here last week with thunderstorms dropping 10x our monthly average of rain. But it's back to 80-90 degrees this week, no turn in sight yet :/ That said, the mountain biking is usually blown out and loose as shit at this time of the year, but it has been excellent with the occasional moisture lately.

I'm waiting and ready. In planning mode now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1378698631.389431.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	140921
    First "sign" of Fall...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.