Thread: "The Turn"

Aspens in Frisco starting to turn
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1540.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	879.0 KB 
ID:	292906

98* fucking degrees in CO Springs.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Leaves on the bike path that leads to my trail:

Name:	IMG_1616.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	292940
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Trying to figure out where we will be headed in 2020 (wife retires) I really like the weather in Sun Peaks BC and being that I don't really rip the gnar these days, it is likely a great spot for me for much of 2020 to 2021. Anyone ski / live there?

Name:  weather.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  62.3 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

starting to turn

starting to turn

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Trying to figure out where we will be headed in 2020 (wife retires) I really like the weather in Sun Peaks BC and being that I don't really rip the gnar these days, it is likely a great spot for me for much of 2020 to 2021. Anyone ski / live there?
    Sun Peaks is pretty meh, but there are probably some locals' secrets.

But why I really replied is to warn you that Kamloops is hot as fuck. I believe it's in the only desert in Canada.

snow down to 2000m. cool outside. the turn has reached the alps.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post

Name:  weather.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  62.3 KB
    Been in Kamloops since 2003. Came here to go to University, bought a house halfway through, it became home and we started a family. I can't imagine living anywhere else.
    Sun Peaks is definitely not gnar, and it isn't blessed with regular deep days. It does ski well with limited coverage though and when it does dump it is light and soft. If skiing is your number one thing you can certainly do better. I like Sun Peaks for the fact that it is 45 minutes of easy driving from my door, a ten-minute lift line is a rare occurrence, and my kids can basically roam free there.

If mountain biking is your thing it is hard to do better. Kamloops area is somewhat of a mecca for that. Freshwater fishing is world-class. Golf is world-class. Sports facilities are world-class. Drinking water is world-class. At least 3 good local craft micro-breweries. A one-hour drive north into the bush puts you into areas that you could get lost and never found. Wilderness is real very close to town. Whistler and Revy are within 3 hours.
    Kamloops isn't for everyone which is another good feature.

Starting to feel a turn up here but I'm having a hard time letting go of summer.
    27° 18°

Surprise in my mail box today.

Name:	IMG_5545.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	293323

Supposed to get five days of rain with a little snow possible this coming week...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    I haven't posted alot here this summer, not because I don't have anything worthy of posting - but more so because I'm truly tired of the "jack-ass-ed-ness" that takes over this place in the summer and the recent influx of new fucks that have'nt a fuckin' clue about what's up in the "real" world of skiing and are best left at Gapicski.com.

anyways, I'll go ahead and stick it up and let the flamers flame away and once again contemplate calling it quits 'round these parts like so many more "old timers" from here i've heard say recently.

"The Turn": tonight for the the first time since the middle of last november here in slc, i am feeling, smelling, sensing the first minor wave of what i will call "the turn". Kind of like the first wave that is slightly bigger than what has come, but is way smaller than what is to come of a tsunami (sorry for the horribly bad analogy - it was all i could think of). here in slc, the air has cooled consistently this past week to a sweet feeling low of 75 degs at 11 pm as i type this (down from almost 90 degrees of last week) and it smells of the great salt lake (indicating a cooling, refreshing nw flow - the kind of flow in the winter will without a doubt yield 2-3' of blower bounty that alta is known for).

"The Turn" is like when the front wheel of your bike rolls over the final inch of uphill and all you've got left is miles upon beautifully, blazing fast, dust blowing, downhill miles after a sweat inducing, borderling puking uphill grind. it is like the half way point a long trail run when you make that 180 degree turn and all of a sudden, un-expectedly life looks completely different than it did a milli-second ago and is 10x better and your body feels 10x lighter and there is a new (second wind, induced) spring in your step. it is like pukering through the crux of a climb, pumped outta your gord, heart beating un-controllably fast and you know all you gotta do is stay focused and keep it together to the chains and all will be good. all incomposing, you've made it through the toughest part and all you've got to do is keep on keeping on - persever - and you will reap the bounty of the harvest.

i haven't been climbing super strong this year yet (unlike last year at this time) and have been "slightly" discouraged thinking and partially believing my body has succome to that devil on the shoulder known as "old age". couple that with the new teasers - which are almost as bad as the actual premeires themselves - and you have one "turning" soul. throw in some McReynolds pow turns in the Respect teaser and my soul has fully and completley made "the turn". add to it the coolness in the air and thoughts of beginning ski specific training and my mind and body aren't to far behind.

have YOU made the turn yet??? if not, how far are you from it?? your soul knows and it is surely closer than your mind or heart actually realize!!!
    Dear diary and maggs and maggettes...

it's not Here yet -- but from here, I can feel it ;

Forty-two(F) tonight
    ( about Eight degrees, eh, Celcius )

I got the news last week : the fractures healed .

Eighteen Months. I Am old.
    I was prepared not to ski again this year - Maybe, ever.

( I would stay involved - Somehow
    ( ' I (Was) a skier ' )

so.

March 20 ( And 21 ) ;
    Lost Trail Powder Mountain With 'Big Lost and po-Tate-o

Moose knuckles for-sure...

MiCol ,

3pin ;

We will take b_bear in-spirit. And

the kids from CB ( Go ! Brittany ! !!! )

I still love this place...

Thank you to tgr for hosting this community

( oh. Let's call it a mini )

FknA
    ( I will sponsor splat to come )

skiJ is tj

Snow down to 1500m here in Swiss Alps. Time to GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    Been in Kamloops since 2003. Came here to go to University, bought a house halfway through, it became home and we started a family. I can't imagine living anywhere else.
    Sun Peaks is definitely not gnar, and it isn't blessed with regular deep days. It does ski well with limited coverage though and when it does dump it is light and soft. If skiing is your number one thing you can certainly do better. I like Sun Peaks for the fact that it is 45 minutes of easy driving from my door, a ten-minute lift line is a rare occurrence, and my kids can basically roam free there.

If mountain biking is your thing it is hard to do better. Kamloops area is somewhat of a mecca for that. Freshwater fishing is world-class. Golf is world-class. Sports facilities are world-class. Drinking water is world-class. At least 3 good local craft micro-breweries. A one-hour drive north into the bush puts you into areas that you could get lost and never found. Wilderness is real very close to town. Whistler and Revy are within 3 hours.
    Kamloops isn't for everyone which is another good feature.
    Kamloops isn’t for me or my wife, but it definitely hits a lot of the qualities for a lot of active, semi-retired people. Good hospital, central on the highway and close to all kinds of fun places, with excellent local biking, and Sun Peaks fits probably 2/3rd of the regular skiers out there. The govt even placed the back-up data bunker for the province there in the event the big one hits the coast. And even if it is hot as hell’s basement downtown, the upper elevation development on the south side of town can be almost too cool on all but the hottest days. Liv2ski could do much worse.

Cooling off here this week with a bit of rain, but overnight temps are still above 10C at 420m elev. Good as the tomaters still have a ways to finish. Hunting and fall gathering is definitely in the air though. Keeping a keen eye on my fungi spots now - first lobsters harvested today and the matsutakes shouldn’t be far behind!

The Turn has started....

Feeling it here in the PNW

36 degrees at 7000’ this morning
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

*Almost* slept with the window closed for the first time since May. Couldn't do it yet, though.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Some snow to fall around 8,500 & up in Washington Cascades. Weather off the Pacific is a good sign too. But as my "Quality Control" co-workers used to say "it's still early, a lot could still go right around here".

In my mailbox today:

Name:	IMG_3452.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	293538

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

New snow at 1400m 500km north from arctic circle. Slow but steady it's coming

Lähetetty minun FIG-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Name:	1341d371-4ce6-4fb4-a192-8a774f4f9a4b.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1,019.9 KB 
ID:	293577

Northern Switzerland this past weekend...

Leaves are on the bike trails.

Name:	IMG_8275.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	293661
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

New snow at ~9500’ in Central OR Cascades
    It’s comin!

Seems to be that time around here. Pleasant morning birdsong has been replaced by squawking crows and screeching blue jays.
    The fall return of the Wooly Bears

Name:	20190911_174706.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	433.9 KB 
ID:	293913

Name:	20190913_104229.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	293914

And todays return of the Dominican brush cutting crew the bush hires every year to cut back trails. This aural attack is never welcome. Dawn to dusk 7 days a week for a couple of weeks. The constant sounds of 7 or 8 chain/brush saws droning away nonstop.

And of course, The Worlds Fair , headed there now.
    IKON
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime