Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Turn"

it is supposed to be almost...nasty in the mtns here this w/e...
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Xover
    ...new fucks that have'nt a fuckin' clue about what's up in the "real" world of skiing ...
    So Xover, please enlighten me. What is going on in the "real" world of skiing?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Here on the EC rocky coast, we know the turn happened. The days are no longer boating friendly,the surf is up after none all summer and I have to do all my house work that was put off since last fall.

Last week I played golf with my ski buddy Bill. A beautful afternoon for 9. as we walked the 2nd faiway Bil said, "I can't wait to go skiing". we talked about his planned trip to JH, one I can't afford. Then on the 3rd hole I said "I can't wait to get my new Head 82s". By the 9th hole we had pretty much forgotten about golf and just talked skiing.

"To everything (turn, turn, turn)
    There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
    And a time for every purpose, under heaven"

thanks to Pete Seeger.
    Battle lines being drawn, nobody’s right if everybody’s wrong, old people speaking their minds, getting so much resistance from behind.

I'm not ready. I have trails that I have not visited yet this summer, and I will miss them dearly.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    I'm not ready. I have trails that I have not visited yet this summer, and I will miss them dearly.
    Yes, but that's what's so sweet about the turn. Rained in South Lake a little today. So the trails should be awesome for the next couple of days.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

True dat, moisture=tacky and fast!

The Turn came on pretty suddenly this year. I started pulling this site up every night about 2 weeks ago. Gotten a few ski magazines that I paged through but still wasn't jonesing for winter yet.

Then last night I started thinking about skiing when I went to bed and it just wouldn't shut off. I was wide awake until sometime after 3am. Been thinking about it most of the day again today. It's on and there's at least 10 weeks before I'll even get a sniff at even a shitty turn. The slow bleed draining my sanity has started.

Joined a gym today, and all the while, I am thinking about this thread. "The Turn" - My brain is now in ski season. So stoked for this year.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

I don't want to read any more magazines, I don't want to talk about skiing, I don't want to think about skiing, I don't want to look at pictures of other people skiing...I want to ski!

The Turn has been made, and the snow can't get here soon enough.

turned last night, first night full of ski dreams in a long while, DAMN I was KILLING IT on my spats.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

the turn for me came when i had to leave my beautiful home in the colorado foothills and return to the flatlands aka PA for school. Been riding the road bike like hell, just waiting for winter break, then Switzerland.
    "...but I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road, my country is the caravan, my life the most unexpected of voyages".-Leo Africanus

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHunter
    The Turn came on pretty suddenly this year.
    I'm the same way. Every year its the same thing, I don't even think about skiing then all of a sudden we get a couple of cool mornings and BAM like a frigin truck the ski jonesing begins. Snow tommorow while I'm up hunting?.....that ain't gona help.

Well I officially TURNED this last week. It all started when I was at the ski shop and I look up and see Conundrum. We start talking and decide to go have a few beers at a local brewery. After that we went back to Conundrum's and made a shot ski. We talked about the backcountry hut that I am going to have pretty much unlimited access this winter. Conundrum and I am going up this week to work on the hut. Then I went out Friday night and I actually had to wear a coat. I am fuckin stoked for another season. I am training super hard at the gym and biking.

It snowed off and on all day today... heavy at times... nothing stuck... but I'm wearing fleece for the first time this fall.

I've Turned.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Frozen and numb fingers and toes while climbing Devil's Castle yesterday morning. Mountain flowers are dying off........................

Tick-tock.
    Last edited by Trackhead; 08-07-2007 at 09:36 PM.

i like this thread a lot, just seeing it brings these feelings on. the turn is magic, though i feel nothing here on the bay, same temp year round = lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Frozen and numb fingers and toes while climbing Devil's Castle yesterday morning. Mountain flowers are dying off........................

Tick-tock.
    Thought I felt it late July and said "Naw .. couldn't be this early." A good friend of mine said she was sure the switch had turned late last week. I noticed it too, and the last two days for sure. Early this year, at least here in the PNW. Folks at NOAA still predict a La Nina event building over the next few months. Give us the little girl!
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Winter wont come to the Wasatch this year! maybe in 08 but I predict dry and warm through Dec 30th

(I just go the OK to buy a Soli Sunday Monday) thats my lucks sorry all you all!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Was at the Whoa Nellie Deli yesterday after coming out of a great Yosemite backpacking trip with my 12 year-old and one of the folks working there asked me "are you a skier?" and told me tales of South America during the summer months up here. Pulled into Mammoth later that day to pick up some necessities and Spike greeted me with a "haven't seen you in a while." Rolling down the Eastside looking up at the big peaks definitely turned my thoughts to the coming winter days.

Should've thought to ask the guy at Lee Vining if he had change for a nickel....said he worked with some of the racers out of Squaw and they did trips down to SA so stay on the snow year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post

Tick-tock.
    Yeah, I felt fall coming this morning for the first time....

fuck, I gotta haul ass!

Great fucking stoke, this is one of the first threads I remember reading before moving out to Utah....

Did an Empire shuttle today and as we got to the top, after one sweet ride down, it was go time for winter. Augest is supposed to be hot, Right?
    I don't hunt because the word hunting infers the probability of failure. JOhNGchrist goes killing.

Damn, Aug is the hottest month in Japan. I wouldn't have naturally felt "the turn" here until sept but this thread is making my heart flutter... just a little... For everything turn turn turn, there is a season turn turn turn...
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybryan View Post
    Can't say I've left either. As soon as I packed up the skis (which was early due to this shitty East skiing)
    Last year had some of the best late season EC skiing in history man...

April:

But anyway, this is a great thread. I took a few months off the forum for the same reasons as X (even though I'm no old timer around here)

As far as the turn goes, after nearly dying a couple years ago, I enjoy life as much as I can. I don't think I ever really make a "turn" when theres pow, I ski, when theres dirt, I bike, when theres waves, I surf. I've come to really like the saying, "if you're bored, then you're boring" Life's short, so get busy living, or get busy dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    I haven't posted alot here this summer, not because I don't have anything worthy of posting - but more so because I'm truly tired of the "jack-ass-ed-ness" that takes over this place in the summer and the recent influx of new fucks that have'nt a fuckin' clue about what's up in the "real" world of skiing and are best left at Gapicski.com.

anyways, I'll go ahead and stick it up and let the flamers flame away and once again contemplate calling it quits 'round these parts like so many more "old timers" from here i've heard say recently.

"The Turn": tonight for the the first time since the middle of last november here in slc, i am feeling, smelling, sensing the first minor wave of what i will call "the turn". Kind of like the first wave that is slightly bigger than what has come, but is way smaller than what is to come of a tsunami (sorry for the horribly bad analogy - it was all i could think of). here in slc, the air has cooled consistently this past week to a sweet feeling low of 75 degs at 11 pm as i type this (down from almost 90 degrees of last week) and it smells of the great salt lake (indicating a cooling, refreshing nw flow - the kind of flow in the winter will without a doubt yield 2-3' of blower bounty that alta is known for).

"The Turn" is like when the front wheel of your bike rolls over the final inch of uphill and all you've got left is miles upon beautifully, blazing fast, dust blowing, downhill miles after a sweat inducing, borderling puking uphill grind. it is like the half way point a long trail run when you make that 180 degree turn and all of a sudden, un-expectedly life looks completely different than it did a milli-second ago and is 10x better and your body feels 10x lighter and there is a new (second wind, induced) spring in your step. it is like pukering through the crux of a climb, pumped outta your gord, heart beating un-controllably fast and you know all you gotta do is stay focused and keep it together to the chains and all will be good. all incomposing, you've made it through the toughest part and all you've got to do is keep on keeping on - persever - and you will reap the bounty of the harvest.

i haven't been climbing super strong this year yet (unlike last year at this time) and have been "slightly" discouraged thinking and partially believing my body has succome to that devil on the shoulder known as "old age". couple that with the new teasers - which are almost as bad as the actual premeires themselves - and you have one "turning" soul. throw in some McReynolds pow turns in the Respect teaser and my soul has fully and completley made "the turn". add to it the coolness in the air and thoughts of beginning ski specific training and my mind and body aren't to far behind.

have YOU made the turn yet??? if not, how far are you from it?? your soul knows and it is surely closer than your mind or heart actually realize!!!
    You're jonesing to push some gaper off the High T, aren't you?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.