Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Turn"

Chance of snow above 9k in the sierra tonight.

Still to early for the turn, but not to early to dream!
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will..."

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    Looked out the window this afternoon and saw white stuff coming outta the sky! Okay, it was hail, but still.....
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

Friday Night: Rain showers likely before midnight, then a slight chance of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Snow level 12300 feet lowering to 10500 feet after midnight . Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38. Southwest wind 17 to 20 mph becoming north northwest 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
    Timpanogos baby, august utah snow to go with highs in the mid 70's in the valley
    /antijinx

Ahhhh I feel it! 39 degrees over night and a dusting of snow out the window this morning on Rose Knob!

Nice bump!! Was going to do it myself last night after walking out the door to smell The Lake and feel the coolness in the air indicating the first decent NW flow even if it is just the infancy of the season to come. Actually thought about grabbing a hoody. Felt so good, refreshing and rejuvenizing to cruise up to Molca Salsa with the windows down. Also, felt great, even if a little chilly, to head into work this morning with the windows down and the AC not on full blast for the first time since I can't remember when.

With snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow morn up at Alta and local weatherbugs saying no more 100 degree days, I can feel the bow of the ship beginning to change course. A noticeable shortening of the day while climbing last night coupled with having to plan alpine fun around temps more so than rain or snow are also good, first indicators for me and I'm having to do that beginning this week.

I like "The Turn" and enjoying every part of it as it occurs over the next 3 months from the first smell of the lake to the first face shot.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    I was just thinking about this thread a couple days ago; it was miserably hot, and I thought to myself that this is the time of year when the first chill finds it's way into the valley. Sure enough, last night a storm came through, cooled things down, and it's currently 62 degrees outside.

Aaaahhhh. Woke up this morning to a cool slice of heaven along the Great Salt Lake. No doubt, this is the beginning of the end of the blast furnace season, a turning. Life is too short not to enjoy.

Simply amazing. Here in Colorado it doesn't seem like summer ever made an appearance, and we're already talking about snow levels and fall arriving.

I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    Nice bump!! Was going to do it myself last night after walking out the door to smell

its a little early, but its been so chilly in the am, there is definitely a smell of fall in the air. was 50 at 9am this morning.
    I could go on, and on, and on...but who cares

Quote Originally Posted by ePiech View Post
    Aaaahhhh. Woke up this morning to a cool slice of heaven along the Great Salt Lake. No doubt, this is the beginning of the end of the blast furnace season, a turning. Life is too short not to enjoy.
    In San Diego, the last two weeks of August and the first two weeks of September are normally the hottest of the year. I am very jealous to read some of you guys feel that your summer season is cooling off already.
    As far as making the turn in my mind, I think about skiing everyday. I look at my skis every day. At least a few times a week, I talk skiing with the buddies and we make our plans for the upcoming season, but I have been slacking off on my training for the upcoming season to enjoy summer with the (teacher) wife. Once she goes back to work, the turn starts in earnest for me every year. Off the booze, back on the bowflex and running to get ready for winter surf first, then hopefully ski season late December. I am so stoked on this upcoming year, as it will be my sixth season back, so what is that, maybe 120 days in and I really feel this will be a huge year for me in what I step up to. Yep, I can't wait, but the turn, not yet in SoCal.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    Nice bump!! Was going to do it myself last night after walking out the door to smell The Lake and feel the coolness in the air indicating the first decent NW flow even if it is just the infancy of the season to come. Actually thought about grabbing a hoody. Felt so good, refreshing and rejuvenizing to cruise up to Molca Salsa with the windows down. Also, felt great, even if a little chilly, to head into work this morning with the windows down and the AC not on full blast for the first time since I can't remember when.
    Yo Crackhead, this is no turn, simply a lull in the heat.
    False start, it is early August for Christ sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Hey Buzz-----kill,

I was also thinking of this thread yesterday as the high in Seatown was 30F below the previous thursday. It's still probably ~100 days away for new snow around here but it's not to early to feel the turn.

Move upside and let the man go through...

No, it is turning. It is always in August. Most miss it. It is subtle. Certainly there are hot days still to come; the dog days and Indian Summer. Regardless, the turn is in August. If the switch has not turned yet the cosmic finger is upon it and ready to turn.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

I'm with Buzz on this...one.
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
    I'm with Buzz on this...one.
    there is a strong anti-turn contingency going here, I'm with buzz too. Its hot as fuck, I got a lot of bike riding still to do it.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Snow expected just below 10,000ft in the Tetons tonight!

early next week, snow showers above 10k feet in the cascades

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Crinkle View Post
    there is a strong anti-turn contingency going here, I'm with buzz too. Its hot as fuck, I got a lot of bike riding still to do it.
    See, I not the only one!

Yup, me too. Been off a few weeks and MRI on back Monday am. I need a but more healing time and then some good rides. It will come and we will have a nice long powfilled season folks. Just not yet.

warm in the CO high country today but we've had our first dusting on the high peaks already. I've go to where I look forward to the bumping of this thread. I'm ready, knee is 75% and all I need now is some white ribbon runs. Lets do this!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    warm in the CO high country today
    Really? It was downright cold today in CB, at least for a sunny early August day. Like almost wanted a hoodie in the early afternoon kind of chilly. Couldn't help but notice the Aspen leaves sounded dry and ready to start turning soon when the wind was blowing, too.

Great thread, love the anticipation at this time of year. I bet my Powder mag will show up any day now...

it was frosty in Aspen early this morning. Since we are 4 weeks from the leaf change, I would say "the turn" is here!!!

Summer's Sweet Corn

The turn... nope - still making turns!

Yesterday found me rising early to make the trek to Carson Pass. A little hiking through the wildflowers to Winnemucca Lake, towards the goal... summer corn. We stopped several times to eye lines and speculate on vertical, connectivity, and fall line character. Should we try the steep, narrow fall line patch? Perhaps the broad winged "bat patch?" Hey - maybe that crescent chute holds snow behind the rock... We settled on a wide longish patch with a straight fall line leading to right fall line. There were a couple tracks already there - perhaps the morning patrol? At any rate, it was our secret pow stash (ok corn) for the whole afternoon, and we lapped it mercilessly. Who knew summer corn could be so tasty, sweet, consistent? By August, I'd expect starchy half rotten kernels, but these were crisp, exploding in sugary bursts - turn after turn and lap after lap!

So, while I understand the turn feeling you all are after, I haven't made the turn. One season must end for the next to begin - day 49 and counting...

In SLC this year, the summer heat block was short arriving and was quick to break. Yesterday and today have felt more like September than early August. Sure, the heat's going to come back, but once the first storm drops out of the NW, winter just starts to feel inevitable. Not only is this little cool spell refreshing, it's kinda motivating because with that feeling of winter being around the corner comes a tiny bit urgency again around getting out for riding, hiking and camping.

I'm down.

It's snowing in Utah: [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165384"]http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165384[/ame]

Hitting the low 40's in south lake with 30's coming before August is out.

It's Hienz ketchup time: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq_5QZDpY1Y"]YouTube - 1980 Heinz Ketchup Anticipation commercial[/ame]

How you doing ? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_vssdys8lk"]YouTube - Matt Le Blanc - Heinz Ketchup Commercial[/ame]
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

It's certainly been a cold couple of days out in Wyoming. The last two mornings felt like the upper 30's, and it never got warmer then the mid-50's yesterday. I spent the last two days out in the rain and clouds, but the sky cleared for a little while last night. It was a brief reprieve from the wet hours, but no where near long enough to dry us out and let us soak up the sun. It was long enough, however, to reveal a dusting of snow on the high summits of the Tetons. Not a lot of the white stuff, certainly not enough to last more then 24 hours. But it was more then enough to remind me how much winter means to me, and give me that giddy feeling which I've felt every fall since I was a kid. The juices are flowing now; future descents and winter plans are flooding my mind as I write this. I have felt "the turn!" Enjoy the next couple months of warmth everyone, for cold and snow are coming soon, and by God, I'll be ready!!!!
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake