Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Turn"

Quote Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
    (I just go the OK to buy a Soli Sunday Monday)
    Cool, getting mine on Sept. 1.
    The rest of your post is stupid, yep, I said STOOOPID!

California has officially turned, as have I.

We are using blankets nights of late when normally this time of year we simply feel we cannot get naked enough or open enough windows.

Also I sold my fully so it is safe to say I have had to turn.

This year the turn feels different though. Like the Earth is changing and the seasons with it. Who knows, but climate change is for sure going down right here and now.

Xover, this was a great thread......

As for my "turn" this year, it came when i decided not to renew my lease here in NYC and head out west this fall........luckily the summer is flying by and the fall is almost here......i am definitely getting ancy to head out to the wild wild west.....

Signs that we've finally made the turn...

It's dark when I get up in the morning.

More and more sunset viewing on my evening bike rides.

The swamp cooler actually gets turned off at night.

Pumpkins in the farmer's field by my office.

It's only a matter of time before the leaves start to fall and the first smell of snow is in the air. After this blistering summer, I'm SO ready. Bring on the fall!

It turned a few days ago, you can smell fall in the air.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Cool, getting mine on Sept. 1.
    The rest of your post is stupid, yep, I said STOOOPID!
    maybe stoopid but mark my post. no winter until late Dec. Im just jinxed that way.
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Still no "turn" in Minnesota, usually comes on or shortly after Labor Day. I'm longing for the temps that allow us to open up the house and enjoy resonable sleeping temps. Nothing better than going to bed with the window open, hearing the loons early in the morning, and staying in bed just a little extra because the rooms is a little cool.

But, today we're back into the 90s for the 22nd day, dew points in the 60's making this feel like Africa, and having to carry way too much water on my runs. Guess I'll have to be content with skiing on unfrozen water for a little while yet. Here's wishing everyone a speedy "turn".

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by mnflyfish View Post
    Still no "turn" in Minnesota, usually comes on or shortly after Labor Day. I'm longing for the temps that allow us to open up the house and enjoy resonable sleeping temps. Nothing better than going to bed with the window open, hearing the loons early in the morning, and staying in bed just a little extra because the rooms is a little cool.

But, today we're back into the 90s for the 22nd day, dew points in the 60's making this feel like Africa, and having to carry way too much water on my runs. Guess I'll have to be content with skiing on unfrozen water for a little while yet. Here's wishing everyone a speedy "turn".

Jay
    This is a great thread. I as well have felt "the turn" in seasons past. However, Like mflyfish, I live in MN too, and we don't get the turn as early as everyone else round here does. But when it does occur, it's grand. I love the beautiful temps in the evening, the quiet nights on Lake Superior, and the cool sleeping temps as well. But I think my favorite part of the year is, indeed, The Turn.

The best part about "the turn" for me is busting out my favorite fleece for the first time. This isn't just about expanding my wardrobe (I don't do shorts and short sleeves very well), but it means that the new ski equipment is on the walls at the shops, the ski movies have shipped out, and lastly...that snow isn't too far off.

I really don't think I ever made the turn away this summer. I've been watching ski videos nearly once a week, or at least looking through old TR's on here all summer. When I was teaching at Lake Owen (skate camp in northern WI) I wasn't thinking so much about learning new grinds, I was working on working on backflips, corks, and lincoln loops into the foam pit.

But for shits and giggles sake, if I had a turn it was 3 weeks ago in Big Sky when I saw what I was going to be skiing this winter.

i haven't been climbing super strong this year yet (unlike last year at this time) and have been "slightly" discouraged thinking and partially believing my body has succome to that devil on the shoulder known as "old age".
    Some would call that 'Making the turn'.

But yes, I did have similar thoughts to this, just yesterday. The chill is in the air. The countdowns are starting. 26 days til the mini-maggots are back in school (not that I'm excited about that or anything). First turns typically come in the first week of November here, less than 90 days away. Once labor day hits, everything about SLT becomes a little easier to deal with. The convoys of Norcal tourists are replaced with numerous motor homes as the fall senior invasion begins. The hiking and mountain biking go from really good to really really good.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The turn happened to me this morning when I woke up (I sleep with my window open) and was cold. I could feel the beginnings of fall in the air. I absolutely love this time of year. Pow mag buyers guide comes out, college football is just around the corner and the promise of a new ski season is on the horizon.
    Thanks Shane

THERE IS NO FUKING TURN YET BIATCHES CALM DOWN ALL OF YOU!!

Points on their own sitting way up high

Was that two years ago Kirkwood was open the weekend before Halloween? I would love to see that again...I've been biking my ass off and am feeling so ready....

Quote Originally Posted by skimoore View Post
    Was that two years ago Kirkwood was open the weekend before Halloween? I would love to see that again...I've been biking my ass off and am feeling so ready....
    3 years ago. that was the Fall of '04. Remember it well because that early opening in October gave me a few surprise powder days before my early November ACL surgery.

(October is only 2 months from now)

I led a 7 day backpacking trip last week in the Powderhorn Wilderness. Most of the time, we were between 10,000 and 12,000 feet. It got cold one night while I was sleeping outside- cold to the point where I had a dream about it snowing on my face as I looked up at flakes falling down. I woke up to a cold mist of rain comming down on me. It was probably in the high 30s.

Thats what I love about spending time in the mountains at this time of year- i always envision winter taking grasp of the high mountain peaks on at a time, and then slowly creeping down into each valley and through the canyons and eventually to Boulder.

We had a big conversation about quivers the other day... the stoke is on.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm going to go get my first set of fat skis tomorrow. I hit the turn Sunday when I saw the Wasatch for the first time, then Monday when I went up the LCC for the first time. I hit the turn hard.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

For me The Turn hits that first evening that I'm out walking the nature conservancy near my house and I can feel that cool damp air pooling around my shins. The kind that has a very distinct layer but now and then sort of rises up and gives just that slight chill to my core. Waiting for a cool day may not happen until later in September, but that cool air close to the ground is the first sign that real change is coming. Not long after that will come those cooler nights where the air gets heavy, leaving a thick layer of condensation on windows in the morning, regardless of the humidity that stays around during the day. Fog starts to linger over the marshes and low land almost every morning, and I wake up to the calls of sandhill cranes and canadian geese taking their young on daily training flights preparing for the coming migration.

The first maple leaves will start changing around that time. Although I'm still wearing shorts and I probably have one golf tournament still on the schedule, my brain will have pretty much directed its focus on the coming winter. Hunting season is coming and is one of the last diversions left to keep the obsession with skiing at bay. By mid November that obsession becomes manifested as ski mags and snow reports from mountain maggots feed the mental frenzy. At that point, all I can do is blow out the building frustration at the gym getting my legs in shape for the season to come and praying for an early and lasting snowfall.

The Turn hasn't come yet, but I can feel it just around the bend.
    Last edited by WhiteHunter; 08-08-2007 at 08:34 PM.

38 degrees at my place in W. Vail this morning...chilly indeed. Made the turn about two weeks ago...really looking forward to snow starting to fly, this summer thing is over johnny.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    ' Hope this works --

http://powdermag.com/currentissue/intro_sept/

Welcome home. Tom Bie

a personal favorite
    That needed to make another appearance in this thread. One of the better Powder intros since I started reading the mag 5 or 6 years ago.
    Still no sign of the turn in Jersey, just in case anyone is wondering.
    "The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists."

August 1st, the turn has been made....of course, in europe there really is no turn. the glacier is always there, it's just a matter of will.

ripz - that saas fee? I miss summer up there - lotta laughs away from the skiing
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

^^He's not posting now with the whole 'We've got 100 cm of fresh' crap that's going on. It's not even 40 inches. Give us a break.

Oh. and

please post pics.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDaddy View Post
    Winter wont come to the Wasatch this year! maybe in 08 but I predict dry and warm through Dec 30th

Dem crazy baldheads de know not what de say
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno