Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Turn"

Thumbs up

That intro was likely one of the best since the Casmiro era - thanks for reminding me how cool it is.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

saw 6 geese flying south this morning, must be a sign of the turn.

OK, today in the PNW, summer broke.

It didn't snap so much as squish under a damp wall rising over it.

You can smell it coming, taste it here and feel the debris of summer dissolve into a humus for imagining the coming winter.

All the burnt static was covered by a cool cloud of drizzle. Alder leaves crunched under feet on the driveway this morning and my relief billows like a spinnaker unleashed.

I can sleep again and despite the hysteria of the final hours of debugging and fixing the next digital behemoth, there's a relaxation sifting in between the grains of time.

Time to break out the red wine, make pesto with the fresh basil and enjoy the rest of the garden's bounty.

Whatever chaos it was, fall washes it away. And I for one am really glad of that.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

thumbs up xover thru busta et al, buncha winter freaks we are...

its funny to feel the turn in non skicountry- you wonder, how close is the next guy whose got a permagrin for the same reason?

its nice to jump into those graymatter deep'n white files even when the dog days come back to bite'cha....

turns are life & the years keep turnin faster-the unweighting and the being right down in it- 'long about now we're ready to set up for the next one and its gonna be good...

slightly related- we just named our bran'new boy kid Turner

Thumbs up

We slept w/ all the windows open last nite and I actually woke up brrrrr cold this morning!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Nice thoughts everyone--and super stoke-inducing summer snow shots, Funken.

As anyone who knows me can affirm; I detest heat and I hate summer. Anything I can do to move summer out of the way as quickly as possible so that I can get on with real life is fine by me.

For years, I've done little summer ski trips to Hood and have summer-skied regularly in the high Wasatch in an attempt to cope with the dog days. Making regular turns on the cold stuff helps me make it through. Somewhat.

Well...this year, I accidentally learned something about how to make summer seem like only a few days' minor nuisance. In the process, I think I might have actually altered the laws of time and space. I don't think I broke them, but, I'm sure I bent them pretty good. I swear the so-called "days" between Memorial Day and today were actually little time warps. They didn't feel like days. They felt like mach-speed 'moments'. It has been a little bit unnerving.

What happened is this year, before the season ended, I sketched out a trip to SA and bought the tickets to lock in the dates. Never has a summer passed so quickly. Trying to prepare for being away from work and family for a long trip has been the best summer avoidance therapy I could ever have hoped for. I felt "the turn" before my first bead of summer sweat. If this trip works out as well as I anticipate, this will become the regular summer "turn" for me.

Suddenly, summer seems so simply surmountable. Seeya soon sudamerica!

Summer sucks and makes me grumpy. On that note, this morning while participating in the sufferfest where I paid $30 to beat my body to hell and run at altitude for many miles, I noticed that the trees are starting to turn color up in the higher elevations. Good sign indeed. Now I know it has nothing to do with whether or not we'll have a big snow year or whether or not we'll get some big snows earlier than normal, but it does show that we are indeed getting closer to that magic moment(s).

The City Market in Gunnison is currently sporting Halloween candy in the seasonal aisle. I wish it was Halloween, I'm always skiing by Halloween.

^^^Nice. City Market initiates "the turn". Guess that means X-mas is right around the corner - better go work on my list.

the turn

i know the turn is in the air when pre season football starts. i know the turn is in the air when i'm not longer running/walking in straight lines but doing imaginary turns. let it snow.

Nice X-man - hitting a nerve with that post. well said.

Indeed, indeed - wore a hoody almost the entire day in ahhspen

That Tom Bie intro kicks fucking ass !
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Since a few months I"ve been riding my bike to work (35km round trip) due to a TGR post (cheers guys). Got back to running also. Best of all, after nearly 5 years lay off of bouldering (chronic elbow tendonitis), last week had me in Fontainebleau, pulling slopers again.

So essentially after about 4-5 years of fucking around, I can climb again (taking it easy of course). I'm losing weight due to running and cycling and getting into better physical shape also. I'm starting to feel good about myself after way, way, way too long.

And along with that, I'm just back from 3 weeks summer holidays i.e. we are now officially heading for the winter. Hehe.

All in all, fuck yeah, I'm feeling "the turn".

Very nice, X!

My turn. This weekend, the water from the hose of my camelbak was colder than the rest in the container. My fingers also got cold enough for it to be difficult to tie the shoes...

YES! Bring on the winter!

on friday night i wore jeans and a fleece for the first time in several months...and was glad that I did. Its starting to get cold at night again.

Nice thread, missed it before - certain serendipity in my stumbling across it tonight:

Today was the day I turned. Spent this morning looking at 07 clothing, I'm starting to feel the yearn.

As for summer coming to a close -- not in this part of the country. L.A. is actually hotter in September and October than it is all summer - then, suddenly, one day in late October, every year, it really TURNS.

in honor of the turn i think someone in utah needs to host a bbq this weekend. yay for grilled meat

Bump because of the chill in the air. Woke up and jumped on the bike this morning to go pick up my car. It felt so good to have that little nip in the air again. People have been talking about a chance for snow this weekend and the wind has sort of confirmed that as it's always the prelude to a storm.

"I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Today I was driving down the street and I saw a tree showing significant, beautiful, orange coloring.

That made me happy!

Sprite
    (and that's not even in VT...I'm talking in Stamford, CT)
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

It's pouring in the Puget Sound....
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Day before yesterday I had frost on the windshield. The wind turned to come from the SW last nite and became a constant breeze pouring off the mountains like it does from Sept. thru May. And the Aspen are gearing up quite nicely.

I was working up at the top of BCC this morning and it was brisk. Soon....

25 cm has fallen along highway 93 north of Lake Louise. Heavy Snowfall Warning still in effect for Cnd Rockies near Banff.

Gear is being gathered by the front door.

I wore a jacket to work for the first time in months yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo
    25 cm has fallen along highway 93 north of Lake Louise. Heavy Snowfall Warning still in effect for Cnd Rockies near Banff.

Gear is being gathered by the front door.
    Jealous...

I can't wear sandals when I walk the dog in the morning anymore.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."