Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Turn"

The turn has turned... First snow in Spokane in September since 1926 is predicted for this weekend.

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/n...ZrIxDVRdKE7duQ

For me the turn is when I start going to the Ski and Snowboard forum first, instead of Padded Room. Not very poetic, I grant you.

Fuck. Too hot

Bring on the turn

Please
    . . .

Pffft, not even close buddy. The sweltering heat has yet to sit on us for 30 days straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

canal ain't even open yet...... can't be fall if summer ain't even started.

heard the august cicadas up in the adk though.. getting there..

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Pffft, not even close buddy.
    Maybe not "The Turn" yet, but 5+ weeks past the Solstice and the days are just that much shorter, the nights that much longer, and the mornings that much cooler.
    Doesn't take much at 6500', I have felt the difference.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I am at 25' elevation and the heat of Summer that comes mid August through September is still a few weeks away. Then it cools off in October and the next 2 months are as nice as it gets anywhere but in Coronado.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

The uncertainty of the covid ski world this winter has made my excitement in anticipation of the turn essentially non-existent compared to years past.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    The uncertainty of the covid ski world this winter has made my excitement in anticipation of the turn essentially non-existent compared to years past.
    The excitement will still come. This thread just needs to go back to sleep for a while longer.

Hang in there.

Been thinking about the turn this past week

I believe we are in , what is statistically the hottest week in SLC... shit starts to gradually cool off in August

Perhaps the arrival of some monsoonal precipitation in the afternoons has elicited the feeling

In 4 weeks highs will be in the upper 80s and we may get light snow up high

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Maybe not "The Turn" yet, but 5+ weeks past the Solstice and the days are just that much shorter, the nights that much longer, and the mornings that much cooler.
    Doesn't take much at 6500', I have felt the difference.
    both Houston and boston, the two places I watch daily weather have lost 30 minutes of daylight.

august first they really start losing daylight at over 2 minutes daily and increasing. it's still dam hot in august; but at the point summer has lost the battle and fall and winter are winning imo.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    I haven't posted alot here this summer, not because I don't have anything worthy of posting - but more so because I'm truly tired of the "jack-ass-ed-ness" that takes over this place in the summer and the recent influx of new fucks that have'nt a fuckin' clue about what's up in the "real" world of skiing and are best left at Gapicski.com.

anyways, I'll go ahead and stick it up and let the flamers flame away and once again contemplate calling it quits 'round these parts like so many more "old timers" from here i've heard say recently.

"The Turn": tonight for the the first time since the middle of last november here in slc, i am feeling, smelling, sensing the first minor wave of what i will call "the turn". Kind of like the first wave that is slightly bigger than what has come, but is way smaller than what is to come of a tsunami (sorry for the horribly bad analogy - it was all i could think of). here in slc, the air has cooled consistently this past week to a sweet feeling low of 75 degs at 11 pm as i type this (down from almost 90 degrees of last week) and it smells of the great salt lake (indicating a cooling, refreshing nw flow - the kind of flow in the winter will without a doubt yield 2-3' of blower bounty that alta is known for).

"The Turn" is like when the front wheel of your bike rolls over the final inch of uphill and all you've got left is miles upon beautifully, blazing fast, dust blowing, downhill miles after a sweat inducing, borderling puking uphill grind. it is like the half way point a long trail run when you make that 180 degree turn and all of a sudden, un-expectedly life looks completely different than it did a milli-second ago and is 10x better and your body feels 10x lighter and there is a new (second wind, induced) spring in your step. it is like pukering through the crux of a climb, pumped outta your gord, heart beating un-controllably fast and you know all you gotta do is stay focused and keep it together to the chains and all will be good. all incomposing, you've made it through the toughest part and all you've got to do is keep on keeping on - persever - and you will reap the bounty of the harvest.

i haven't been climbing super strong this year yet (unlike last year at this time) and have been "slightly" discouraged thinking and partially believing my body has succome to that devil on the shoulder known as "old age". couple that with the new teasers - which are almost as bad as the actual premeires themselves - and you have one "turning" soul. throw in some McReynolds pow turns in the Respect teaser and my soul has fully and completley made "the turn". add to it the coolness in the air and thoughts of beginning ski specific training and my mind and body aren't to far behind.

have YOU made the turn yet??? if not, how far are you from it?? your soul knows and it is surely closer than your mind or heart actually realize!!!
    sometimes ,
    some of you guys drive me crazy -

we might as well call the Summer solstice 'The Turn' ...

so I went back to Xover's op. and
    you are not actually that far off :
    Xover felt the heat ease the beginning of August - though he related 'The Turn' to reaching the top of a long bike climb And anticipating a long downhill (!) ;

around here, the turn can't happen until after Labor Day and the Summer visitors start to fade...

enjoy your 'Turn' -
    skiing ! has been one of the Gifts of my life and a source of great Joy !

I will see you on the hill !

thanks... skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 07-30-2020 at 06:36 AM.

the leaves aint turnin yet the blossoms are just now falling
    embrace the gape
    and believe

The leaves on some of the low brush here turn yellow about this time every year, as well as the emergence of the grasshoppers.
    Last edited by rideit; 07-29-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_142311.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	593.5 KB 
ID:	335743

bought my first apple imported from italy in anticipation for the turn.
    flavor is sour and "mealy" maybe a lil too early
    the green up high is still very thick here.... soon things will change
    things i see so far,
    there are more wasps around and the morning light is already different

41F when we left the trailhead for a run this morning.

Flora starting to take on that autumn color and smell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	118400069_10102245532751190_68220228941596650_o.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	626.2 KB 
ID:	338549

Last week I bought some bindings which means mounting some skis this week. Always the sign for me.

That is a nice photo and where I would like to be with my pups now. I have a pair of new skis and bindings sitting in the office for me to look at each day since last April. With all the uncertainty of a season, I have not been motivated to mount them.

39* at 2700' N. I da ho, actually had frost on the pool toys, last week for the popup pool
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Snow forecasted above 6k for 2moro in western MT. Guess I better get the new wood stove put in(seeing as how it's our only heat source) and cut some wood.

Sept long weekend, before kids, an alpine trek would usually involve a cm or 2 of snow from a quick cold front. It was 4C at 420m last night. At least 2wks early. Bring it!

It’s Happening.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

45° in Nederland CO at 9am at the trailhead.

Snowing at my house in Big Sky right now.

It’s August...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters