Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Turn"

Ok, bring the turn

I live in the south, and it warms up early and cools off late. I have made the turn though. each summer i always go through a skiing dry spell where all I can do is think about skiing, daydream about it, and watch movies. This is usually when i buy new gear. That takes place in June. Recently It has been raining non stop where I live in North Georgia(14 inches of rain in 5 days). We were almost flooded. After the front moved through it cleared off. It got windy, there was no humidity, and it dipped to about 50 degrees last night. It feels incredible. I am aching to make turns. I check this forum multiple times each day and cannot wait for winter.

All of you guys in the northeast or the west- you are incredibly lucky. Do not ever take it for granted. Im a jong and I dont have many posts, but I would do anything to live in slc or denver and be able to drive less than 2 hours to ski spectacular terrain and powder.
    Hamme one dem beers

Quote Originally Posted by WALKER TEXAS RANGER View Post
    Im a jong and I dont have many posts, but I would do anything to live in slc or denver and be able to drive less than 2 hours to ski spectacular terrain and powder.

How bout actually moving? So you would do anything other than move? cause if you didnt know thats all it takes...

Today was the REAL first day of it in Salem, Or.

Quote Originally Posted by WALKER TEXAS RANGER View Post
    I live in the south, and it warms up early and cools off late. I have made the turn though. each summer i always go through a skiing dry spell where all I can do is think about skiing, daydream about it, and watch movies. This is usually when i buy new gear. That takes place in June. Recently It has been raining non stop where I live in North Georgia(14 inches of rain in 5 days). We were almost flooded. After the front moved through it cleared off. It got windy, there was no humidity, and it dipped to about 50 degrees last night. It feels incredible. I am aching to make turns. I check this forum multiple times each day and cannot wait for winter.

All of you guys in the northeast or the west- you are incredibly lucky. Do not ever take it for granted. Im a jong and I dont have many posts, but I would do anything to live in slc or denver and be able to drive less than 2 hours to ski spectacular terrain and powder.
    .... i just returned from a most important trip to Ass-ville at the whirlwind end of a week and i gotta say that on this past Sunday morn (and for that fact, this morning) i felt the SE parts of our great nation make "The Turn".

my trip went from a butter knife coated with maple syrup trying to cut through the 80 deg heat and 99.9% humidity all day friday to the rains of change on saturday to "The Turn" ..... magnificent; simply magnificent!!!

i don't need to tell you 'cause you already know, but your great locale as well as the similar locales in very close surrounding states are going to go off like no other in the next few weeks to a month!!!!! only difference is that we will have a frosting top of white to make the greens, yellows and few reds/oranges stick out all the more. you on the other hand will have all the colors of the spectrum 'cept the white to make it all the more vibrant ..... allthough i gotta admit, saturday night i thought Mt. Mitch might be getting sum!!!!

p.s. won't be long now baby jedi; won't be long now .... just endure
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    How bout actually moving? So you would do anything other than move? cause if you didnt know thats all it takes...

haha, believe me. I am moving the second the opportunity arises. I cant just pack up now and take off because
    1. I'm 19
    2. I'm in school
    3. I have a scholarship that pays for me to go to school in Georgia for free

Beginning next winter I'm going to try to plan my schedule so that I take winters off and work in at ski resorts. I'm pretty well set on Alta at the moment
    Hamme one dem beers

I hope that after this turn tomorrow it stays 55 degrees and sunny until the middle of Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I hope that after this turn tomorrow it stays 55 degrees and sunny until the middle of Dec.
    You are dead to me now.

I don't know why, I'm just not feeling it yet.

today in truckee felt like "the turn" (finally) for me. started last Sat night @ the Cottonwood when they put up the snow-board (basically, you pick a date/square for $5 when you predict the first foot of snow will accumulate on their deck), then a slight frost Sun morning and a slight chance of snow in the forecast tonight and this coming w/e. bring it!

Yup. Drove through 108 in Gilroy on Saturday. The south bay prolly stayed below 68 today. Don't think I'll be seeing 108 for a while. On top of that, I didn't ski at all this month. Time to put the summer wax on and wait for winter

Also, my skilease came together yesterday, and we met today. The countdown is on.

With all the gay rights promotion lately...I had no idea that many people were "turning???" Welp! to each his/her own

X-dog!, ready to make turns Thursday? Rock skis baby!

In the 40's overnite here in the midatlantic, and I drop my tax shit off at the CPA today. That's my official time to turn. Alta, J-hole, Stowe all have some snow in the forecast.

bump.....

Started feeling the turn after the temps dropped from the 90's to the low 60's here in Seatown this past week, and this morning there was the distinct smell of fall in the air.

It's coming.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Felt it here in Bend early last week, just as the heat built up into the 90's. Typical for here. Most miss it and are still deep in summer but it's there none the less. Angle of the sun is different, days noticably shorter. The time nears.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Don't make me unsubscribe from this classic thread. Still feeling the summer love... it's high bike-shred season.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Don't make me unsubscribe from this classic thread. Still feeling the summer love... it's high bike-shred season.
    The turn is the best time to ride, still knowing that "it" isn't far off. Last night racing at Solitude I definitely felt the turn.

Don't get me wrong, not wishing summer away at all and really hoping it comes back in force for our backpacking trip all next week, as opposed to the 6-7K snow level expected this weekend. I'm with Jtrue- feeling the turn just adds another layer of excitement to the summer time activities.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Big flight of geese heading South this morning. I'm not ready to put the bike(s) away yet either and with months of riding in my legs this is the best time of year (well fall really, when the dust settles and the track gets firm and tacky). Still, it is coming and that DOES add another level of excitement.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

word! it can turn in october or november for all i care.

we've had snow up high about 3 times in August, including last night. BRING IT!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I haven't seen the snow up top here in Summit, but I know it has been there. The turn is definitely here. I'm still stoked to ride my bike for a few more months, but I'm starting to think about how I'm gonna pay for my pass this year and getting my self prepared for the snow. I hope it is a better year than last year.

summer love in the skiing forum? ...ok

Wow, well I am one of those "new jack-asses" on these forums I guess but I'll do my best to keep the high standards of this awesome forum and the threads like this that show me what it's really about.

I've been living in Hawaii for the past 12 years, came back only twice in that time to get a few turns in but now I am back for good, caught the last few weeks of Kirkwood last season and the Stoke still hasn't left me, the game has completely changed since I was here... new skis, styles and gear has got me refreshing the TahoeWeatherDiscussion every day. So The Turn for me has been a long one this summer and with each degree that it drops I wait in severe anticipation... yeah I got it bad.

still hot as balls in the south, but Im living at Alta this winter so fkna! this semester of school is much easier knowing that I will be rewarded for my work in the form of pow and faceshots