Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Road biking Tuscany . . . WWMG?

I think I may have a week to kill in Europe in late October and was thinking of spending a week road biking in Tuscany. I am thinking 40-100 mile days, country roads, sunflowers, wine, and cool places to stay. My vision is to travel very light (aka pack a skirt/sandles/t-shirt and bike stuff) and stay in hostels (or cheap hotels).

Anybody done this? Any route suggestions? Any internet resource or book suggestions? Should I check out a different European destination?

Thanks in advance for the ideas/suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie
    I think I may have a week to kill in Europe in late October and was thinking of spending a week road biking in Tuscany. I am thinking 40-100 mile days, country roads, sunflowers, wine, and cool places to stay.
    If you DON'T do this I will kick your ass almost as hard as I kicked cancer's.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

A friend stayed on Lake Como and did day trips, but it wasn't cheap. I saw pics, and it was real nice. Also, consider staying in Florence and doing day trips by train (well equipped for bikes). Good roadie rentals in town.
    Girona, Spain is another cool place I'd like to do. Lance's Euro base for training, and home to a lot of other serious roadies. The NY Times ran an article about it specifically for bikers about a year ago - check the archives.

i was almost going to do the same thing a few weeks ago, but ended up going to southwest france instead. in my searches i came across http://www.florencebybike.it/ who has good info and rents nice bikes too if you need. florence would be a great base and check out the 'itinerary' page on the above for some nice looking rides. good luck!

This is so cool.

I actually have some friends that did some riding around there, so I may be able to get you some info. Standby...
    It's idomatic, beatch.

When I lived there, I always used a MTB instead so I could explore more options (plus urban assault on European cities is REALLY fun). I agree with basing out of Florence (one of my favorite cities in Italy). You can take the train to Pisa / Livorno and check out the Med as well (eat on the beach or as close as you can get; bringing a bike on the train is VERY easy). Sienna is really worth riding to, great trip from Florence. I worked in the mountains North West of Florence for many years and always took a bike with me; the small town of Sestola at the base of Mt Cimone is a good ride as well (be ready to climb!). Be careful with the weather that time of year; it could be really mild and sunny or cold and rainy, just be prepared. If you are taking the train from the North, a stop in Verona is well worth the time as well. Verona itself is a GREAT small city and very historic (think Romeo and Joliet); the riding is spectacular. A nice road ride is to go around Lago di Garda, Awesome area.

Man, I want to go back. Have fun!!!!!
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Did you ever know that you're my heeeeerrrroooooooo!!!!!

Holy shit, this trip would rock very hard. I'm with Plakespear, you simply must do this. It's a moral imperative.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    You'll have a great time, I'm sure it's gorgeous that time of year. I know a photographer who goes back every year to shoot. The people, scenery, and food... delish.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I spent a month doing this.....it is sweet. We'll have to talk once I am back kellie (aug 14th).

I really liked the chill areas up north west: Cinque Terra, Pisa, Monalcino Alta, Luca.

You will never feel so safe around cars on your bicycles....so much respect, it is awesome.

gotta run.....going to get married.
    Donjoy to the World!

The Chianti Road out of Sienna (through Chianti) is a nice loop and would make a great and beautiful day ride. I noticed the pavement was painted up in spots like the Tour de France, so I surmised the Tour d'Italia must've come through there as well.

Plus there are several vineries where you can stop for a taste!

Florence is awesome and not to be missed.
    Cortona, Sienna, Anghearre (sp?) are very cool midevil towns.

Have Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane
    A friend stayed on Lake Como and did day trips,
    Don't plan on biking in Como in october: rain! Tuscany is much warmer and dryer that time of year.

I did this on my honeymoon with my wife.

ABSOLUTE best place to stay is right here.....

Castangeto Carducci. Epic rides, epic climbs, to flats on the beach. There's the italian season opener right there in town. Awesome bike shop. Can ride Elba. Never do the same ride twice. Killer towns. Awesome hotel.

You want to DEFINATELY stay at the zi martino hotel the whole entire time. Just do it. Best accomodations we had in italy (small, but large rooms, nice laid back folk, etc.) because of the awesome staff, etc.

http://www.cinghiale.com/travelhelp.htm

What else...ride elba one day, if you have time. Do the long Volterra loop....um...everyone there is super cool.

http://zimartino.com/

That's the hotel.

here's the bike shop.

http://www.ciclosport.it/gb/index.html

Um, here's some photos....
    Last edited by jed peters; 08-03-2006 at 06:02 PM.

hey kellie,

i'm planning on doing some tripping about that time as well. could be game for a european bike ride if you are interested in company.

(but you do know that skiing will be full on at that time, right.)

Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toad
    hey kellie,

i'm planning on doing some tripping about that time as well. could be game for a european bike ride if you are interested in company.

(but you do know that skiing will be full on at that time, right.)
    Leave it to us to have to go to Italy to actually hang out! PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie
    Leave it to us to have to go to Italy to actually hang out! PM sent.
    do you alaska kids ever go to work?

awesome idea kellie- you need to do this trip- it sounds awesome!

Dear Kellie,

If you get a chance, please fix Prudhoe Bay before you go on vacation. That'd be great. Thanks!

A
    It's idomatic, beatch.

at the risk of sounding very un-core, if you want to soak up the scenery and enjoy, do you really want to do a 100 mile day?
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Bumping this old thread as we are in the final stages of booking a self-guided tour of Tuscany for this Fall via an outfitter and are trying to figure out if upgrading from the hybrid bikes to actual road bikes is worth it. FWIW, we will be riding 25-50 miles/day from Florence>Siena>Pisa.

Are you a cyclist that rides a road bike? If so yes, but if you don’t ride a lot, then it won’t matter. 25-50 per day is nothing.
    That said, I’m shipping my road bike over.

Edit to add that reading this thread was like going back in time. Plakespear? Woah.

Edit to also add that my sister has done these trips about 15 times, and the company’s bikes they get aren’t really hybrids, they’re more like less-steeply-angled road bikes. They rent those, (they’re not hard core, but avid cyclists), and they work fine. Pics? Company you’re using?
    Last edited by plugboots; 02-20-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Are you a cyclist that rides a road bike? If so yes, but if you don’t ride a lot, then it won’t matter. 25-50 per day is nothing.
    That said, I’m shipping my road bike over.

Edit to add that reading this thread was like going back in time. Plakespear? Woah.

Edit to also add that my sister has done these trips about 15 times, and the company’s bikes they get aren’t really hybrids, they’re more like less-steeply-angled road bikes. They rent those, (they’re not hard core, but avid cyclists), and they work fine. Pics? Company you’re using?
    Thanks for the reply. Our group is mixed but all ride road bikes.

We are planning on going with Cyclomundo.

Hmm. Kinda hard to tell from the website pics:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 2.37.25 PM.png
Views: 369
Size:  33.6 KB
    and info, but from your description, I'd upgrade or select the road bike, (they say racing, I think), and bring your own saddle, pedals and shoes along with the usual helmet, gloves etc. You're riding on roads, it's Italy, you all have road bikes, people hang out in lycra all the time there, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Hmm. Kinda hard to tell from the website pics:
    and info, but from your description, I'd upgrade or select the road bike, (they say racing, I think), and bring your own saddle, pedals and shoes along with the usual helmet, gloves etc. You're riding on roads, it's Italy, you all have road bikes, people hang out in lycra all the time there, etc.
    Thanks, plug. I just sent off the booking request for the 'racing' bikes.

Wear bright clothes, bike together, stay close. I am in Tuscany [Chianti region] every summer...every year there is a gnarly accident involving a cyclist.

Besides that, prepare to drink tons of wine and eat more pasta and pizza than you ever thought was possible.

Trip booked for late Sept/early October. The tour operator said the 'hybrid' bikes are required given the number of miles on dirt/gravel roads. Now the next question is what shoe? Walking around medieval villages in stiff MTB shoes seems like torture but riding 35-45 miles in sneakers day after day seems just as challenging. Any thoughts?

Too bad about the bike choice frankly, but so what. I put slides in my jersey for stuff like this, but I'd have have speedplay road cleats which are almost impossible to walk in. Something light like oofos or whatever, and slides so you can keep your socks on.