West VA Maggots?

Thing 2 & I are taking a roadtrip next week to Cass WV to go train riding and to the New River for some rafting. Any hints, tips, beer offers, etc?
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Man, I miss that wonderfull part of our country. Enjoy!

Not sure what is going on at Snoeshoe lately, but you may find something of interest up there.

Maybe someone can remind me(us) of the great place for breakfast that we would always hit when we went climbing at the new.
    SLOWER TRAFFIC
    KEEP RIGHT
    http://shifter102.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nohillsnearby
    Thing 2 & I are taking a roadtrip next week to Cass WV to go train riding and to the New River for some rafting. Any hints, tips, beer offers, etc?
    I am not from WV but close enough to tell you this. Visit the Canaan Valley go to timberline, Rent or bring your MTBs, take the 7 dollar lift ride to the top. Go explore the surrounding area.

http://www.timberlineresort.com/summer/activities.asp

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...69337021CeBQRi

Just my 2 cents.

You'll be pretty close to WV's state highpoint - you oughta go check it out.

if the weather is clear, the views are supposed to be unbelievable..

-steve

What outfitter are you using? Fayetteville is a pretty cool town, lots of folks head there in the summer for the rafting season to supplement the assortment of climbers, boaters, mt bikers that live there. Excellent rock climbing opportunities in the NRG and surrounding areas. As for food -breakfast at the Cathedral Cafe is a tradition, Pies 'N Pints is great for post-river pizza and microbrews, Dirty Ernie's for kick-ass barbecue. Sedona Grill is nice to grab dinner and drinks, and several of the New River outfitters have pretty cool bars -ACE, Rivermen, etc.

Note: CAUTION while driving on Rt. 19 - the area is NOTORIOUS for speedtraps. The Summersville and Fayetteville police have taken it upon themselves to raise the local tax base, particularly preying on out-of-staters . Stay on or under the speed limits at all times!
    http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/...y=Fayetteville

The scenic railroad at Cass is not far from Snowshoe resort, which has a nice village with bars and resturaunts and more importantly, epic DH and XC mountain biking. Definitely worth the trip if you ride!http://www.snowshoemtn.com

Feel free to pm me w/ any other questions. If you're up in Morgantown, definitely hit me up for beers!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by jibco

Maybe someone can remind me(us) of the great place for breakfast that we would always hit when we went climbing at the new.

Gotta be the Cathedral Cafe...
    Montani Semper Liberi

If you find yourself anywhere near Elkins make sure to go to The Cheat River Inn. Fantastic food and really cool cabins right on the edge of one of the best fly-fishing rivers in the country, it's worth going out of your way for. Hell, I spent my honeymoon there.

Yes, I spent my honeymoon in West By God Virginia.

Man, I miss it too.

And my wife leave tommorow around 5 am for 11 days in WV as well, seeing family, friends and all. I get to stay here work.

And you are not to far from Elkins at all and Ice's recommendation is a very good one.

There are a ton of things to check out.

http://www.westvirginia.com/
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Cass isn't especially close to any of the places mentioned above, though you could easily hit them on your way/way back. Snowshoe's about 20 miles from Cass on Rt 66 and is cool this time of year...plenty to do and drink up there. If you feel like spending some money, The Red Fox is excellent, pricey but worth every penny. You're in a pretty isolated part of the state there, so any cool towns will be at least an hour drive. You can go by Greenbank and check out the huge satellites, sounds lame, but they're pretty interesting. You can drive up the Scenic Highway which has some amazing views. I'm not sure of the route number, but just head south on 219 and you can't miss it.

If you're gonna drive as far as Elkins, it's worth continuing on towards Canaan Valley. You've got Seneca Rocks, Dolly Sods and Spruce Knob all in that same area, and past CV is Davis, WV. Cool little town with a couple nice local restaurants (Siriani's and Mutleys...sp?)

I imagine you know this, but the Cass Scenic Railroad ride is a lot of fun. The ride to Bald Knob is pretty long, but it's really nice up there. Great views and an interesting, almost high alpine environment that looks out of place for the region.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

PS, I'm in Utah these days, otherwise I'd gladly meet up w/ you for some beers.

PPS, shit, I missed the part about rafting. Yeah, Fayetteville is a great little town. Your rafting guide can point you in the right direction as far as food and drink are concerned.
    Last edited by bagtagley; 08-03-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Close is a relative term IMO

Not close to anything? I guess it is all relative as hell, I drive just shy of 20 miles into work each day. That is close as far as I am concerned.

An hour, that is nothing too.

I second going to continuing on towards Canaan Valley. You've got Seneca Rocks, Dolly Sods and Spruce Knob all in that same area, and past CV is Davis, WV.

Seneca is where I learned how to lead climb. Canaan Valley is some of the most beautiful areas in WV and Dolly Sods and Spruce Knob will take you back into history and another world. A very cool experience.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    Not close to anything? I guess it is all relative as hell, I drive just shy of 20 miles into work each day. That is close as far as I am concerned.

An hour, that is nothing too.
    I do too, and it blows. Plus, you know 20 miles on those roads is a lot different than the 20 you and I are driving.

The drive from Cass to Elkins, while only an hour plus, is a pain in the ass. If I was in Cass, Snowshoe is probably the furthest I'd go. However, this time of year, I wouldn't even make it to Cass...the riding at Snowshoe this time of year is, how you say?...Bella!

Maybe it's just me, but driving in the west is different than back east. Long drives just seem easier here.

go check out summersville lake.
    if its got tits or wheels...it will give you trouble..

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB
    What outfitter are you using? Fayetteville is a pretty cool town, lots of folks head there in the summer for the rafting season to supplement the assortment of climbers, boaters, mt bikers that live there. Excellent rock climbing opportunities in the NRG and surrounding areas. As for food -breakfast at the Cathedral Cafe is a tradition, Pies 'N Pints is great for post-river pizza and microbrews, Dirty Ernie's for kick-ass barbecue. Sedona Grill is nice to grab dinner and drinks, and several of the New River outfitters have pretty cool bars -ACE, Rivermen, etc.

Note: CAUTION while driving on Rt. 19 - the area is NOTORIOUS for speedtraps. The Summersville and Fayetteville police have taken it upon themselves to raise the local tax base, particularly preying on out-of-staters . Stay on or under the speed limits at all times!
    http://www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/...y=Fayetteville

The scenic railroad at Cass is not far from Snowshoe resort, which has a nice village with bars and resturaunts and more importantly, epic DH and XC mountain biking. Definitely worth the trip if you ride!http://www.snowshoemtn.com

Feel free to pm me w/ any other questions. If you're up in Morgantown, definitely hit me up for beers!
    ACE looks like the outfitter I'm going to use for rafting. Planning on driving to Snowshoe on Tuesday (~8 hour drive), staying the night at Snowshoe, hitting Cass for the 5 hour tour (Thing 2 loves trains) and then heading to Fayetteville area after the ride. May stop to mtn bike, but my fatass isn't in great shape. Stay the night in the River area, do the raft on Thursday, stay over again and head back to my cornfield on Friday.

You all have lots of good tips for me, wish I could spend more time in the area, but we're squeezing this in before the start of school.

Pick one, can't miss: Cranberry Glades. Dolly Sods. Spruce Knob. Seneca Rocks.

Coolest taxpayer-funded tour (outside of DC) at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.

Visit the nuke-proof former post-apocalypse bunker-home of the US Government at The Greenbriar Hotel.

Climb the via ferrata and cross the Indiana Jones-ish bridge at Nelson Rocks Preserve.

Tasty WV trout at the Elk River Touring Center's Inn.
    Nevermore, however weary, should one faint by the way who gains the blessings of one mountain day; whatever his fate, long life, short life, stormy or calm, he is rich forever. -- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    Pick one, can't miss: Cranberry Glades. Dolly Sods. Spruce Knob. Seneca Rocks.

Coolest taxpayer-funded tour (outside of DC) at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.

Visit the nuke-proof former post-apocalypse bunker-home of the US Government at The Greenbriar Hotel.

Climb the via ferrata and cross the Indiana Jones-ish bridge at Nelson Rocks Preserve.

Tasty WV trout at the Elk River Touring Center's Inn.
    Cool! Thanks, printed out maps for several of these.

Bumpity-bump. Made a reservation for the Via Ferrata thing at Nelson Rock for this weekend, on Sunday. Prolly staying before and after back up in PA, at Hidden Valley... unless yinz would advise otherwise.

I was down at Spruce Knob last Fall, and love that whole area. Did a separate camping trip in the snow at Dolly Sods. Our group had a good time and a few tasty beers in Davis at some burrito place. For this coming trip, it'll be me and the new ladyfriend... so sleeping at a condo back in PA is more likely than getting wasted in Davis and passing out in the back of my 4Runner.

So help me out with strategery, fine collective. What should we see or do around those parts on Memorial Day weekend? Good eateries? Beers I need to consume in large quantities?
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief