Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Some ski weights...

Got a scale today that is, presumably, accurate to within 0.2 pounds. I thought I'd play around and weigh the skis at hand. Various questions about ski weights have been posted over the time I've been here, so I figured this might help someone out.

I figured the scale might not be accurate in an absolute sense, but it should be OK on a relative basis; therefore, I first weighed myself, then weighed myself with the bindings (I had extra unmounted bindings), and finally weighed myself with the bindings + skis.

Bindings only:
    • 2.6# - Dynafit Comforts w/ brakes
    • 4.6# - Medium Fritschis w/ brakes (Freeride / Freeride Plus)
    • 4.2# - Salomon 997 Drivers w/ brakes

Skis only:
    • 5.4# - Dynafit D712 (170cm)
    • 8.2# - Volkl Explosiv (Buddha 03-04 180cm)
    • 8.2# - Salomon Pocket Rocket (185cm)
    • 9.2# - Volkl G40 Pro (190cm)
    • 9.2# - Volkl Gotamas ('05-06 190cm)
    • 9.4# - K2 Seth Vicious ('05-06 179cm)
    • 11.8# - Volant Spatulas (186cm)

Skis + bindings:
    • 15.4# - Volkl Explosiv (Wizard 190cm) + 977 Equipe (I didn't have an unmounted pair of 977 Equipes to weigh) [davep's measurement, below, of 957 Equipes @ 5.5# means these Wizards would be 9.9#]

boots:
    • 6.1# - Dynafit TLT4Pro (27) w/ Dynafit thermo liners
    • 7.6# - Red/red Scarpa Denalis (UK8/8.5) w/ lightweight Intuition thermo liners (*NOT* XTs or TTs)
    • 7.6# - '05-'06 Garmont MegaRides (26) w/ beefier Intuitions + Raichle tongues + booster straps
    Last edited by upallnight; 07-31-2006 at 09:05 PM.

nice work
    I suppose Ill cross post this other thread about ski weights that always took me an hour or more to remember what the stupid thread was titled.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35656

uan, could you add some boot weights as well?

now to add a couple more tgr searchable words

weight weigh

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman
    nice work
    I suppose Ill cross post this other thread about ski weights that always took me an hour or more to remember what the stupid thread was titled.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35656

uan, could you add some boot weights as well?

now to add a couple more tgr searchable words

weight weigh
    pechelman...that's a link to a good post. i think the poster took the info from the couloir guide. i believe that those weights are manufacturers' stated weights. i'm hoping to get actual measured weights. (am i wrong?)

also, couloir's methodology (taking the ski weight then dividing by length to get a weight per 100cm) is useful for comparison, but it does result in some problems.

i'll try to weigh the boots i have on-hand later today, but i don't have any stock liners.

mega-rides(25.5)= 6.5 pounds
    168 inbigs+freerides= 11.5

i measured these a while back but unless something fell off it should still be the same.

179’s mounted w/ comforts --- 9lbs 7oz

188 bro’s mounted w/ classics – 10lbs 11.5 oz

188 bro’s w/ 914’s – 13lbs 15oz

***no brakes on either of the dynafits.

APD: What year and stiffness are the Bros (apparently the weights vary)?

Good info! Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze

188 bro’s mounted w/ classics – 10lbs 11.5 oz

***no brakes on either of the dynafits.
    Softs or Stiffs? How do you like em'?
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

the classics are on the stiffs from first year production and the 914's are on stiffs from 05-06. they are the ones i attempted to speed along the decambering process.

the 179's are stiffs as well but i'm told they will be the softs of next year.

i weighed all my bc gear last year and can't seem to find all the info. i had lots of skis, ropes and boots. i wish i knew where the info was. here are the ones i found on my computer:

60m 7.5mm mammut rope – 5lbs 6oz

105’ 6mm acc cord – 1lb 15oz

20m 8mm beal rope – 1lb 10oz

BD shirk axe – 1lb 8oz

Ridge rest sleeping pad (reg) – 1lb 1oz

BD Sabertooth crampon 2lbs 10oz

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains
    Softs or Stiffs? How do you like em'?

stiffs. i have quite a few reviews floating around but in short, they do everything quite well. i get out on the big name skis at the resorts during the demo season but i always prefer my bros. besides, i haven't found anything better that i've wanted to bring in the bc with me yet. it's hard to find a lite weight to quality ski that floats in the soft and holds an edge on icy steeps.

^^^^Thanks
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

some skis i've weighed recently on a postal scale (all skis flat, weights per pair, in grams)

Volkl gotama 190 - 4450
    atomic rex 177 - 3500
    atomic teledaddy 173 - 3600
    rossi b4 178 - 4000
    nordica beast 177 - 3800
    volkl g4 178 - 3800
    soft bro 188 - 3600

old sally bindings, with mounting hardware (I was curious to see how much more the metal heel on an equipe weighs):
    957 composites - 2075
    957 equipe - 2495

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by upallnight
    Skis only:
    • 5.4# - Dynafit D712 (170cm)
    • 8.2# - Volkl Explosiv (Buddha 03-04 180cm)
    • 8.2# - Salomon Pocket Rocket (185cm)
    • 9.2# - Volkl G40 Pro (190cm)
    • 9.2# - Volkl Gotamas ('05-06 190cm)
    • 9.4# - K2 Seth Vicious ('05-06 179cm)
    • 11.8# - Volant Spatulas (186cm)
    Spatulas WIN!!!
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by davep
    some skis i've weighed recently on a postal scale (all skis flat, weights per pair, in grams)

Volkl gotama 190 - 4450
    atomic rex 177 - 3500
    atomic teledaddy 173 - 3600
    rossi b4 178 - 4000
    nordica beast 177 - 3800
    volkl g4 178 - 3800
    soft bro 188 - 3600

old sally bindings, with mounting hardware (I was curious to see how much more the metal heel on an equipe weighs):
    957 composites - 2075
    957 equipe - 2495
    cool. what year gotama? that weight sounds a bit higher than the weight i cam up with, but i wonder if there's any difference between the '05-06 & prior wood sidewall versions.

pechelman...that's a link to a good post. i think the poster took the info from the couloir guide. i believe that those weights are manufacturers' stated weights. i'm hoping to get actual measured weights. (am i wrong?)
    Graham mentioned in another thread that, for their Gear Guide, all were actual weights done by Couloir themselves, with the exceptions of some track-like skis and some skis that didn't arrive by the time the issue came out. Notably absent (and therefore the stated weight in the Gear Guide is from the mfg specs, not Couloir's) were the entire Goode line. Some other posts elsewhere have noted that Goode actual weights don't necessarily correspond to stated (optimistically light) weights, but that's no surprise. Anyway, not much call for Goodes around these here parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate
    Graham mentioned in another thread that, for their Gear Guide, all were actual weights done by Couloir themselves, with the exceptions of some track-like skis and some skis that didn't arrive by the time the issue came out. Notably absent (and therefore the stated weight in the Gear Guide is from the mfg specs, not Couloir's) were the entire Goode line. Some other posts elsewhere have noted that Goode actual weights don't necessarily correspond to stated (optimistically light) weights, but that's no surprise. Anyway, not much call for Goodes around these here parts.
    Thanks for politely telling me I am wrong!

Seriously...good info. I still think their method can cause some problems when extrapolating the weight to a size other than the exact one they measured, but it's the best effort I've ever seen at coming up with an apples-to-apples comparison.

cool. what year gotama? that weight sounds a bit higher than the weight i cam up with, but i wonder if there's any difference between the '05-06 & prior wood sidewall versions.
    Those are the 04/05 w/ wood sidewalls. and a nice sidewall crack to boot

Just did a few more comparisons:

Scarpa Denalis (UK8/8.5) w/ lightweight Intuition thermo liners: 7.6#
    Garmont MegaRides (26) w/ beefier Intuitions + Raichel tongues + booster straps: 7.6#
    Dynafit TLT4Pro (27) w/ Dynafit thermo liners: 6.1#

997 Drivers w/ all hardware & brakes: 4.2#

I'll edit the first post to add this info.
    Last edited by upallnight; 07-31-2006 at 09:05 PM.

UAN, you have two different weights for the 997 bindings. Does the 3.8 weight not include the brakes?

997 Drivers w/ all hardware: 3.8#
    &
    4.2# - Salomon 997 Drivers w/ brakes
    Davep has the 957 composit @ 2075 grams or 4.6 pounds. I would have thought the drivers would be heavier than the composits.
    Last edited by manderson; 07-31-2006 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manderson
    UAN, you have two different weights for the 997 bindings. Does the 3.8 weight not include the brakes?
    sorry -- typo from when i was copying and pasting some stuff. fixed it above.

Quote Originally Posted by manderson
    Davep has the 957 composit @ 2075 grams or 4.6 pounds. I would have thought the drivers would be heavier than the composits.

another thread to cross post in this one about weights (in an attempt to have everything accessible from ONE thread)

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...t=goode+carbon

Maybe someone can cross paste those posts into one thread for a semi-sticky.
    Cause this shit is gonna get asked a thousand times here soon...
    It was the loss of info like this that got everyone so pissed when powmag's Danieldude fucked things up.

yeah..i'm hoping we can get it all together, a la marshal's recommended skis posts.

we need to get some standardization about methods that folks use...and weighing w/o bindings as best as can be done.

courtesy of damien sanders on another thread

'07 Big Daddies are right at 5 lb
    180 P+ are 5.5lb
    180 Snowrangers at 4.125 lb.

UAN-

I'm glad you're educating yourself, since you've had such a problem gauging the weight of things in the past. Good Work!!

-aaron

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    UAN-

I'm glad you're educating yourself, since you've had such a problem gauging the weight of things in the past. Good Work!!

-aaron

wow thanks for all YOUR contributions aaron.
    Im sure we all appreciate your presence here.