Upper Body Armor Sizing

My ever so sensible mother has decreed that this year's premature Christmas present for her boys is some body armor to be used for skiing and biking.

After having searched the archives, it seems that the 661 Pressure Suit is the Maggots' favorite. Unless this has changed - suggestions are welcome - I would like to know what size I should get. I'm 6'3'' and weigh about 180 lbs.

Many thanks!
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Oooh. I like the looks of their N8-2 or N8-1, depending on whether you want elbow/forearm protection or not. The N8-1 is a lot like my Dainese slalom jacket, except I don't have chest protection (never really needed it skiing or boarding, but you never know - would be good on a motorcycle track day).

Dainese's stuff runs small - I guess b/c they make it for skinny little Italians. But judging by 661's site, you should fit in a L since you are kind of skinny. Don't take my advice though, since I've never tried their stuff on.

One suggestion for any protective gear: Wear a base layer that is very light underneath. I really like my Nike Sphere shirts that are dimpled like a golf ball. The dimples keep it from sticking to my skin and getting clammy underneath the back protector portion of the gear. Also, spraying the foam part of the back protector with Lysol or Febreeze periodically will prevent stink. Be very careful washing this stuff - I only wash by hand.

If you ever have had any lower back problems, the ones with kidney belts are awesome. They keep the protector in place, provide warmth on your lower back, and give you some support.

I actually have two protectors. One is back only and the other is the slalom jacket. I mostly wear just the back protector, unless I'm competing in something where I'm going to hit either gates or other competitors with my arms. I'd probably wear it also if I were trying to chase certain maggots around off-piste.

Any other views?

I'm 6'2" 190 and a medium assault suit fits me slightly big.

It's probably easier for guys to fit by recommendation, but I need to try stuff like that on.

Anyway, what armor I'd recommend would go first by what fits you best and second by what your price range is. I like the Dainese best, but if price is a concern I think the 661 is a good option. I had the Azonic Z-1 and just replaced it - the connector straps were not durable at all and the elbows tended to shift around, and shoulder protection was minimal. I wore my Dainese WAVE jacket today for the first time and have no complaints.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Thanks for the info. I've decided that the 661 pressure suit is what I need. However, I would still like to know how their sizing really works ... which is rather difficult since no shop in the Boston area seems to have it in stock.

Should I get a Large or a Medium? The dudes at the bike shop say Large ("What? 6'3''? Dude, you need a large for sure. 100% sure.").

You should be able to call or look on the website for 661 and get some chest/shoulder measurements. I know rockgardn had this on their site. It's a common issue so I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out if you can't find it.

But nothing beats trying the stuff on in person. If you have a bike shop nearby that carries DH stuff, they might have a jacket you could try. They're pretty common.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Yeah the 661 was weird on me. I'm a large in Rockgardn and Azonic. I'm a large according to the chart, but the large 661 was huge, and the medium was still on the bigger size. FWIW I like my Rockgardn Flak Jacket a lot more than the 661.

Unless you're skiing something tight and rocky where you could forsee cartwheeling over rock, a full jacket of body army is way overkill not to mention sweaty.
    For everyday use, I just rock a back protector and padded shorts, but a full on pressure suit can give a lot of peace of mind.

Oh, and padded shorts are a far better investment than a jacket. They are way more comfortable, and can actually absorb a lot more of the impact from a fall (or so it seems to me). They're cheaper too, so if your mommy's getting you anything, tell her to get some padded shorts.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins
    Unless you're skiing something tight and rocky where you could forsee cartwheeling over rock, a full jacket of body army is way overkill not to mention sweaty.
    For everyday use, I just rock a back protector and padded shorts, but a full on pressure suit can give a lot of peace of mind.

Oh, and padded shorts are a far better investment than a jacket. They are way more comfortable, and can actually absorb a lot more of the impact from a fall (or so it seems to me). They're cheaper too, so if your mommy's getting you anything, tell her to get some padded shorts.
    He said he's using it for biking too. Get Dainese or whatever else has a zip off spine protector and it's perfect for both. Just a spine protector doesn't do you much good for biking.
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl
    He said he's using it for biking too. Get Dainese or whatever else has a zip off spine protector and it's perfect for both. Just a spine protector doesn't do you much good for biking.
    Oh, I'm smart.

And a random dear diary entry:

What I would really love to see is a good body armor top with a zip off spine protector that will let you use just the back protector once its zipped off.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins
    Oh, I'm smart.

And a random dear diary entry:

What I would really love to see is a good body armor top with a zip off spine protector that will let you use just the back protector once its zipped off.
    That's what I was talking about. Take a look at the Dainese Wave. I just bought mine a few weeks ago, tried the zip off spine protector under my ski jacket and it feels very comfy. Stays right in place with just the kidney belt and a jacket on top. Zipped into the jacket it's also excellent - particularly an improvement for shoulder protection.

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl
    That's what I was talking about. Take a look at the Dainese Wave. I just bought mine a few weeks ago, tried the zip off spine protector under my ski jacket and it feels very comfy. Stays right in place with just the kidney belt and a jacket on top. Zipped into the jacket it's also excellent - particularly an improvement for shoulder protection.
    Sweet, I will look into that. That makes so much more sense than the dumb 661 suits, where the back protector is completly useless once its off.

Go with the Dainese, or check out Beast Gear up in Vancouver (I think). I went with the Beast Gear. It has more protection than both the Dainese and the 661, fits better than the 661 and has a removable spine protection, and kidney belt as well. Plus the Beast gear is must cheaper than the Dainese.
    you have to shoot something, cut something, or burn something every day for redneck consideration