Thread: Burton Fish

Burton Fish

Yo, I´m thinking about getting one of those since I can make a pretty good deal. Anyone has one/ever rode one? I suppose its WICKED! on powder but how´s the general performance on icy slopes or hard ground?
    Relativ geschickt schickt Bo schicke Grüße an die Schickeria - ihr habt auch SCHICKE SCHIA!
    BOOYAKASHAAA!!!

from what my friends tell me the fish is the shit in powder and especially in the deep trees, but it's super tough to stick hucks because it has such a short tail.

As for other conditions they say it sucks. you can't be mounted that far back and ride hardpack/ crud very effectively.

Well, Board is probably out on his today, but I know he loves his in snow, but not too much on the hard.

So WTF does that sig mean. Some kinda soccer cheer?

The sig is just German rap. Doesn´t mean too much, just sounds funny. Something like: "Bo sends relatively smart greetings to the high society - and you got nice skis!" Hm, obviously not funny in English. To find out about the booyakashaa, download some Ali G.: http://www.lando.co.uk/
    Relativ geschickt schickt Bo schicke Grüße an die Schickeria - ihr habt auch SCHICKE SCHIA!
    BOOYAKASHAAA!!!

My girlfriend has one. I'd equate it to the Spatula of snowboarding. It absolutely rips in the pow but is completely unstable on hard pack. She only rides it on deep days or in the BC.

Tech Talk JONG!!!

Originally posted by slim
    My girlfriend has one. I'd equate it to the Spatula of snowboarding. It absolutely rips in the pow but is completely unstable on hard pack. She only rides it on deep days or in the BC.
    I just got back from a trip w/ a friend who rides one of these. He seemed to have the same feeling. Nimble and tons of float in powder, slow as on groomed (I can attest to the last bit )

Hmmm, I'm having a good time on packed/groomed on the fish. Ive got about 5 days on it at Kirkwood, mostly last week where it hasn't snowed in a couple of weeks nor have most aspects gotten warm and wet in the day and refrozen at nite so I haven't had it on the iciest of surfaces yet. I dont have a good way to quantify speed and turn size but I was going pretty good and carving lots and not disapointed. I rode it in some bumps and I think it might be fun in those too.

I dont think the board is particularly torsionally soft to cause washing out in a turn but because of the width of the front half of the board I found it helped to put on a thicker sock to snug up the boot and moved the front binder as far as possible towards the toe edge to improve front toe leverage and pressure during toe side turn initiation. I might move the binder back toward the center to see if it is OK. So, small feet and soft boot/binders that can't lever might be not so good on firm? Maybe a riser under the binders might help or a strap around the highback?

The flex on the tail half of the 156HD seems kinda stiff and that is maybe why it carves well for me. Sometimes when I feel a little slip up front I load up the rear foot to get into the carve and just ride it. I have a chance to ride a MD later and compare. Riding switch on firm, turns are easier initiate. I slammed good once riding switch due to the tail not rising automatically over a powder lump and another time nosepress (on the tail) reverting when the tail knifed into firm snow and grabbed.

After riding the fish other boards with short tails and pin/taper shapes (but not such wide noses) from Steepwater, Prior, Winterstick etc look like a lot of fun too. Over at Couloir there is a good discussion.

If I had not got a good deal on this board I would not have bought it. I guessed it had potential for a lot of fun and different riding style and if I didnt like it I'd sell it. I'll keep it.

I'm riding last years stiff 156HD Fish (150-180lbs), last years 32 Prion boots size 10.5, Burton Mission binders, stance wise nearly 0 deg. back and about 9 front. Back and front binders mounted at the second position from the tail end. I'm 155lbs 6'1".

Where you going to ride it -D-?

That´s some pretty good information, thanks. I guess I won´t get one because I ride for like 20 days a year and theres no reason to have a powder and an allround board. Since I´m from Germany, I mostly go to Austria, Switzerland and France. Right now, I´m still using my first board, the Rossignol Strato, Vans Boots, Switch bindings. I´m thinking about getting a new one because the board is waaay too narrow, toes and heels hit the snow, too soft...: the dude in shop just didn´t know what he was selling to me. And thats why I have to ride with a 30 and 45 degree angle on a freeride board, being pretty pissed.
    BOOYAKASHAAA!!!