anyone try this road saddle?

I'm still looking for a road saddle that doesn't kill my taint. I've been fit, etc., and have tried numerous different saddles of varying width and hardness, but still have big problems down below. I've tried:

Terry Fly
    Specialized Avatar (143, 155)
    Trico Split Rail
    Koobi Tri
    WTB Shadow V

Before I go try hornless saddles (which I am honestly considering - don't laugh), I've been reading up a bit on the Selle SMP Strike, which has a somewhat radical new design. I'm looking at the cheaper Selle SMP Strike TRK just to save cash, and don't care too much about the weight. (sorry for the ultra-big pic)...

Anyone try this saddle?
    Anyone else had this problem and if so, how'd you solve it?

Just looking to stay on the bike and keep training....
    Thanks.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Have you gotten a professional fit done on your bike?

I had this problem, pretty badly(enough that it would get in the way and talked to a doc about it) and switched from a fizik arione to a WTB Devo saddle. So far, with ~2 months on it and a lot of miles, and its been fine.

Just got in from five hours, and apart from soreness from old saddle sores, no numbness. In fact, I'm rubbing one out right this moment.

Seriously, your best bet would be to go the shop, sit on the trainer, and use those saddles for at least an hour. I know problems become more apparent on a trainer quicker than they do on a normal ride.

Also, different chamois work for different people. Your shorts have as much to do with comfort as your saddle does.

If you havent already, get a fit done, that might change your position a bit and help solve the problem.

Heres mine:

rotating saddles

I've had a pretty serious problem with it this year- but it's not a numbness thing, it's a sore/pressure ulcer thing. So if it's numbness you're looking to cure, best to stop reading my response. Anyways, it's kept me off the bike a lot in the past month. So what I've started doing is swapping out seats every few rides just to switch up the pressure points. I have two differently shaped seats for the road bike, and then I spend some time on the mtn bike so I have three different shapes chaffing my junk- that way one spot doesn't get overly worked. This probably isn't the best solution, but it's solved it for now. I do the same thing with chamois- always rotating brands/thread pattern to keep the chaffing under control. And I use handfuls of chamois butter. If you keep riding on the sores, it gets ugly- no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog
    Seriously, your best bet would be to go the shop, sit on the trainer, and use those saddles for at least an hour. I know problems become more apparent on a trainer quicker than they do on a normal ride.

Also, different chamois work for different people. Your shorts have as much to do with comfort as your saddle does.

If you havent already, get a fit done, that might change your position a bit and help solve the problem.
    I did get fit - and it did a little to help (adjusted stem angle and length, bar height, and cockpit length). But I've been swapping lots of saddles out, and though I've tried to maintain the original measurements, things feeld ifferent based on the different saddles. I may try a fitting from a different shop.

I've been stopping by my LBS, grabbing a couple different saddles at a time, and trying them out at home on rides. I like the trainer at the shop idea - might know right away what will and won't work.

Also have not considered the chamois - I found the one with the least padding is the best for me, but again, maybe I should try something different considering I still have perineal pain issues.

Got a somewhat lengthy training ride tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes...

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo
    I did get fit - and it did a little to help (adjusted stem angle and length, bar height, and cockpit length). But I've been swapping lots of saddles out, and though I've tried to maintain the original measurements, things feeld ifferent based on the different saddles. I may try a fitting from a different shop.

I've been stopping by my LBS, grabbing a couple different saddles at a time, and trying them out at home on rides. I like the trainer at the shop idea - might know right away what will and won't work.

Also have not considered the chamois - I found the one with the least padding is the best for me, but again, maybe I should try something different considering I still have perineal pain issues.

Got a somewhat lengthy training ride tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes...
    Definatley look at different chamois. And its not always about having more or less padding, but some have a softer padding, some are stiffer, etc. Higher end shorts from Assos, Castelli, Verge, Hincapie are all going to be a little different.

This is a tough one, because its not something that you can easily get advice from someone else. My roommate has run the old Flite saddle for years and never had an issue.

The WTB Devo was definately an upgrade from the Arione for me. I'll probably put it on my cross bike this fall and get one of those specialized toupe and put that on my road bike to see how it works out.

I tried one of those dedicated two split saddles(both sides are completely independent, I think it was a Kombi) and it was the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever ridden. Horrible.

And PJG--yeah, sores are bad. Reeeeally painful.

Maybe a well broken in Brooks saddle?

Also, try working in more standing up into your rides. I've made a conscious effort to get out of the saddle a bit more just to let things flow again.

Specialized avatar is crap compared to the Alias and Toupe. I'd give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    Specialized avatar is crap compared to the Alias and Toupe. I'd give them a try.
    I second that, the Toupe is the shit for me. Also, when I had numbness issues before I got the Toupe, I would make sure to stand up for 1 minute of every 10.

A couple of us at the shop have decided that the Specialized Toupe is the best saddle ever. It's a bit pricey but after a few minutes on it you won't care what it costs. I don't think I'd put it on a cross or mt bike but for road it's awesome.

Well, I've determined today that the Terry Fly is an ass-hatchet.

I'll put the toupe on my next to-try list from the LBS. Might get one of those noseless things just to try as well.

So noone has tried the SMP Strike?
    Last edited by peterslovo; 07-16-2006 at 01:29 PM.

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    I'm testing the Toupe right now. It's designed so that you only sit on your sit-bones. Although different to what you are used to, it's probably what you need. I like it so far.

Specialized Rival

If you like the Toupe on your road bike, you should try the Specialized Rival on your mountain bike. It is Specialized's highest end MTB saddle and has similar performance to the Toupe but is much more rugged and a bit heavier.

mad props for the toupe recommendation. i swallowed and forked the cash over and i couldn't be happier. first of all, i was pretty surprised i was a 130 fit (goes to show you can have small sit bones and still a big ass ). anyways, the thing f'in rocks and i love how you can sit forward or rearward and still get great support and comfort. who'd a thunk that little thing would be so comfy? and oh, it's light as a feather too which is nice when you're standing on your pedals on the hc col d' aubisque (tr to come in the next few days).

Not sure if it was published but there was a study done on measuring the oxygenated blood getting to your penis during riding on different saddles.

the specialized saddles won, by alot.

Most saddles, no matter how they are designed, suck. specialized actually put some thought into it.

glad you found the right saddle for you.

[QUOTE=lph]Not sure if it was published but there was a study done on measuring the oxygenated blood getting to your penis during riding on different saddles.

the specialized saddles won, by alot.

Most saddles, no matter how they are designed, suck. specialized actually put some thought into it.

Just saw this demonstration done live. It's amazing how some saddles almost completely shut down the blood flow!!! The demonstration showed that the penal blood flow can be reduced to almost nothing long before your shit goes numb!!!

The Toupe works great for helping to prevent blood flow restriction, and actually is very comfortable, even for my old ass.

Some LBS may let you demo the saddle.

Most nose less saddles suck cause you loose alot of bike control without it.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

I bought and smp strike evo the narrow one 235 gm padding. i had been ridding and selle san marco aspide rrowhead, fizik alliante carbon arionne and pave tried selleitalia and all the specialized saddles. No numbness with any but oh the chaffing ingrown hairs and other saddle soresdespite gooping the chamois. With the smp there is no perineal presssure no sharp edge as with some cut out saddles and just a good comfy fit. It combines a scooped saddle with a great cut out. I have one for my serrota legend ti sti and now for the scott cr1 team edition. I may buy one for my mountain bike next year. if the alliante had a cut out it would have been perfect. Try it youll like everything but the price best price now performance bike

Another vote for the toupe.

A couple of other guys from the shop also swear by Fizik. They use the amante(?) saddle. Apparently it is like having an extra couple of positions on the saddle since it is so long. DOn't know if I would recommend it for your issues though.
    Recently overheard: "Hey Ralph, what were you drinking that time that you set your face on fire?"

Quote Originally Posted by Oarhead
    Another vote for the toupe.

A couple of other guys from the shop also swear by Fizik. They use the amante(?) saddle. Apparently it is like having an extra couple of positions on the saddle since it is so long. DOn't know if I would recommend it for your issues though.
    Personal experience...I would stay away from the Fizik saddles. Yeah, the arione was great because it was long and had so many positions, but for my bony ass, it didnt work too well. I could win any game of roshambo after riding that saddle for more than an hour, though.

If I'm thinking of the same oxygenated blood article as lph, then the fiziks rated the lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier
    I second that, the Toupe is the shit for me. Also, when I had numbness issues before I got the Toupe, I would make sure to stand up for 1 minute of every 10.

I run these on my SS's and my CX bike. I love`em.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Well I am demoing the $219 Selle SMP Strike Pro from my LBS right now. Kudos to them for allowing me to "borrow" such a saddle. It is a very strange design, but so far, seems to work. Granted, it's been only a short and fast 10 mile sprint ride, but it went well. We'll see how a longer 20 miler does later today...

I'm also currently undergoing another bike fitting with them and they are slightly tweaking everything on a couple day basis as we try different positions.

I saw the Toupe firsthand finally. Looks like an ass-hatchet but I could definitely see how it might work - very hard saddle which seems to be the way to go. The 143 width just might work for me too. It's next on my list if the Selle SMP doesn't work out.

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo
    Well I am demoing the $219 Selle SMP Strike Pro from my LBS right now. Kudos to them for allowing me to "borrow" such a saddle.

I saw the Toupe firsthand finally. Looks like an ass-hatchet but I could definitely see how it might work - very hard saddle which seems to be the way to go. The 143 width just might work for me too. It's next on my list if the Selle SMP doesn't work out.

The toupe actually has just the right amount of flex. It appears too small and too hard, but once you mount on a post, you'll see it has a good flex pattern.

I'm sure the shop will have you sit on their "assometer" to determine the right size, but most people fit the 143.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.