Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Gold, post some TRs already.

Gaper Jeffey is generally a good guy, the pomposity is definitely out of character.

Sweet climb/ski Squirrel and Powstash; it's a worthy line. Nice TR.

In those pics - it really looks as steep as it skis.

Well done.

My MCL is almost healed up. Have to admit regrets on passing when Squirrel mentioned this trip.

Looks great! Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember
    This is exactly the kind of stuff that's inspiring me to make my first climb/descent but I'd be afraid of posting my own TR for fear of getting blasted for stating something incorrectly.
    Dont ever be afraid to post a TR. If somebody gave you shit you know there would be plenty in the community to stick up for you.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Quote Originally Posted by bcrider
    Dont ever be afraid to post a TR. If somebody gave you shit you know there would be plenty in the community to stick up for you.
    On a side note, I like you're new avatar, bcr.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    On a side note, I like you're new avatar, bcr.
    Finally somebody noticed.

I’m sofa-king-core I shave with a rusty whippet.

ps. the mrs thought I was a reeeeeal winner when I asked her to snap the pic. LOL
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    Gaper Jeffrey, lay off the hot sauce, eh? No need to be so pompous about it.
    A Squirrel-style pain train usually shuts people up pretty quickly...
    I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaper Jeffey
    With due respect, no way. The truly steep skiing on Cooper Spur is in the top 900vft (maybe even less than that). After that it mellows out. I corroborate that with this report:
    http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing...p?topic=3003.0

You can look in any guidebook to read the same thing.
    Have you skied the Cooper Spur Jeffey, or do you just read guidebooks?

very wellplayed gents very well played

now I can see why you are both such loud mouth braggarts in person.....

Superb TR. A ten on the stoke meter.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

riveting and inspiring TR!
    ...got a little queasy just reading about the falling boulder
    hat's off, big time!

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead
    Sounds bomber to me. Remember the crap we skied in the Tetons? The snow you had on Hood sounds waaaayyyyy better, and safer.
    I was thinking that the whole time. It went something like this:

"Heck, this is like lightly buttered Deer Valley style groomer spring corn special vs. that garbage slop I skied in the Tetons"

"Hey Squirrel - up, up, up we go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lani
    No ill will homies, way to get the goodness, always psyched to see the stoke!
    None taken mang. None taken. Welcome to the boards.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, ó no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

way to get after it guys I was hiking up around the copper spur ski area the day before I left the states. I really dig that area around hood river

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember
    Man, some of you guys are getting pretty harsh on some guys who put up a damn nice TR. It's okay to make corrections but how 'bout a little civility (oh yeah, this is the TGR site.....civility only occurs by mistake ). In spite of some technical mis-statements, all in all, a great TR. Great entertaining reading....FOR FREE!! This is exactly the kind of stuff that's inspiring me to make my first climb/descent but I'd be afraid of posting my own TR for fear of getting blasted for stating something incorrectly. Lighten up friend!
    No kidding. Not hard to politely correct someone after they spend the time taking shots in dangerous territory and then post pics with narration at no work to the onlookers. Powstash has to be one of the nicest/coolest guys on this board, so no need to bring on neg vibe.

Some constructive criticism though: In all seriousness fellas that was too late of a charge with the recent hot temps. July bids on Hood (rockfall city) should really start around 2-3am with summits around 9am. I guess you learned the lesson with Squirrel's near fatal blow.

Great TR. Tx. I'm getting all jazzed for next season.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CherryMoon
    No kidding. Not hard to politely correct someone after they spend the time taking shots in dangerous territory and then post pics with narration at no work to the onlookers. Powstash has to be one of the nicest/coolest guys on this board, so no need to bring on neg vibe.

Some constructive criticism though: In all seriousness fellas that was too late of a charge with the recent hot temps. July bids on Hood (rockfall city) should really start around 2-3am with summits around 9am. I guess you learned the lesson with Squirrel's near fatal blow.

Great TR. Tx. I'm getting all jazzed for next season.
    Cherry- thanks for the comments.

While some may not agree with our decision, those who know me & 'stash know that we normally err on the conservative side. I think Powstash got a little overdramatic on the rock description. To clarify, it happened toward the upper end of the lesser exposed flank. And not to downplay it- the boulder/rock was a decent size, though I doubt it would have done anything fatal. More than likely knocked me out for sure or maybe a broken bone or two. nothing to shy away from- but fatal seems a bit strong.

Looking back, we knew the risks of being late (and wanted to summit by 10)- though I can't say I'd change my decision looking back. The snow was about as perfect as I would have wanted it for the descent. We both had discussed the rockfall at length and felt that we were close enough to avoid any further potential rock fall and reach the summit quickly through various 'semi-safe' zones. We knew time was of the essence. As for temps, they were still rather cold for the main ascent. This gave us a little bit of confidence, but certainly not a solid backing knowing it would only get warmer. Most importantly, at the time the decision was made to proceed- we were both confident in trusting each other & the decision, our abilities, and the conditions. If it had been 30 minutes later- or if either of us felt a slight bit unsteady about it- I know we would have turned around. Teamwork would have to be a key ingredient as in any endeavor.

Both Powstash & I appreciate everyone's candid thoughts on the route and constructive criticism. Everyone views risk with a different eye. What's an acceptable risk to one may not be to another. I'm not advocating that our decision was the best at the time. We definitely pushed our luck (and limits) on this one. And I am certain we will apply this experience toward future ascents.

Thank you again for all your positive comments. Cheers!
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 07-13-2006 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinx
    Gold, post some TRs already.
    I've got to have something worth posting first! I'm working on it though. Hopefully I'll have something to put up in another week or so.

On GaperJeffrey, I assume he's a good guy, just came off a little rough with his comment. It's hard to measure people's voice inflections on the webernaut.
    Last edited by GoldMember; 07-13-2006 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrider
    Thanks! I'll put one up when I have one to put up. Hopefully in a little over a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Have you skied the Cooper Spur Jeffey, or do you just read guidebooks?
    Actually guys, I don't even ski. I just read internet message boards and spray like a pompous obnoxious ahole.

Sorry that my post came off rough. I thought this was a sweet report; the photos in it are some of the nicest steep skiing photos I've seen on Mt hood. And your kudos to PMR was spot on. That's a wondeful group who really has their stuff together.

As to angles, what you skied was definitely some spicey stuff--but I thought the sustained 50 degrees for 2500vert was out there. I'll definitely give you 50 or steeper for the top, and then low to mid 40s for 2000vft. Here's how Lou Dawson put it:

"Cooper Spur is a good example of D Scale and R Scale ratings, as most of the route is moderate terrain, but it starts with technical skiing in the 55 degree range"
    http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/rat...ng-system.html

Anyway, nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaper Jeffey
    Actually guys, I don't even ski. I just read internet message boards and spray like a pompous obnoxious ahole.
    From what I've seen, that describes most of us.

Sick TR!

No...wait...Super Sick!

PS. I know Squirrel, if he didn't feel comfortable up there, he'd charter a chopper to get home. And remember, hindsight is always 20/20, especially on a message board.

Did you see any Pandas?

Bump for the Stoke..

I'm up for some August turns. With the new boots and the fixed knee Squirrel99 will be unstoppable. (not that much has been slowing him down anyway)

WARNING! This thread is not yet rated.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Way to get it done Powstash and Squirrel. When I skied Super Gully this year we had to watch for rock fall as well. I had to step aside once for a rock headed right for me.

Bump b/c this looks like a lot of fun and it makes me want to ski NOW
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Bump for complete lack of asses or aliasses threatening to get lawyered up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Ironically, this descent might be pretty good this weekend if it's not too cloudy.

Or next week.

Fucking spring in Feb.