Frequent Heartburn?

Anyone here experience (or suffer from) more than just the occasional case of heartburn? I don't mean brought on by just a spicy meatball... Do you ever go through periods of days or even weeks where you seem to get it almost daily, no matter what you have been eating? If so, what are you doing or taking for it? I seem to be getting it all the time lately. At first I was taking Tums as needed, but quickly realized that they don't do much. Right now I take a Zantac about an hour before dinner, just to be safe, and it seems to help. I don't really want to go see a doctor about perscription medication unless nothing else works. I have not made any major changes in my diet lately. In fact, I am eating less spicy foods becasue of this. Is it just that I am getting older? Acid reflux disease? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

it is probably just the pregnancy. It goes away for most women once they baby's been delivered.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Ummm... yeah... but....
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

i get heartburn now and then. well, more now than then. i have found if i severly restrict my diet (no coffee, no alchohol, no tomato saucy stuff, no spicy food, low carb) it goes away, but that is no fun at all.

I use pepcid complete, gives me the immediate releif of a tums plus the long term releif of the pepcid/zantac stuff.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    Anyone here experience (or suffer from) more than just the occasional case of heartburn? I don't mean brought on by just a spicy meatball... Do you ever go through periods of days or even weeks where you seem to get it almost daily, no matter what you have been eating? If so, what are you doing or taking for it? I seem to be getting it all the time lately. At first I was taking Tums as needed, but quickly realized that they don't do much. Right now I take a Zantac about an hour before dinner, just to be safe, and it seems to help. I don't really want to go see a doctor about perscription medication unless nothing else works. I have not made any major changes in my diet lately. In fact, I am eating less spicy foods becasue of this. Is it just that I am getting older? Acid reflux disease? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Abpout a year ago, "sweets" (brownies, ice cream, etc) started giving me wicked heartburn. Before that, I had an iron stomach.

Anyway, I started taking Prilosec. One pill a day for two weeks is good for 3-4 months. It actually worked for me.
    "Holy Blower!" - Jeremy Jones

Yours doesn't sound "environmental" like fez so it could be GERD....could be h. pylori bacteria...could be nothing...

...go to a doctor (PCP or gastro) and get the h.pylori test...if that's what it is they'll give you some antibiotics and it'll clear out and be gone forever...if not you'll work with the doc and play around with diet and meds (if necessary) until you get the needed relief...

....any other symptoms? Like persistent coughing, horseness or more chronic pain in your esophagus (which would be the effects of stomach acid spitting up where it shouldn't)...

Quote Originally Posted by Corky
    ....any other symptoms? Like persistent coughing, horseness or more chronic pain in your esophagus (which would be the effects of stomach acid spitting up where it shouldn't)...
    No, not that come to mind. I do get some coughing/sneezing and throat irritation (the itchy feeling) related to my summertime allergies, but that's about it.

Go get that h. pylori test dood...

I bet yours is just a temporary thing...but if it turns into something more permanent send me a pm...I unfortunately know all about this crap

I have GERD (acid Reflux). The three meds are Nexium, Prilosec and Prevocid. I have been on 20mg. Prilosec daily for 3 years. The box says take it for 14 days straight, but the Doc says I will take 1/day for the rest of my life. Otherwise, cut down on coffee, fatty foods, tomato sauce, acidy foods like OJ, etc. Also, keep your weight down and exercise.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Start taking Prilosec OTC (over the counter) and see if that helps. It's a PPI drug, which is different than Zantac. Prilosec might bring you the relief that you're looking for.

Also - stay away from caffeine, high acid foods, chocolate, soda. I can snail mail you some more info from my office (I work in a gastroenterology office).

It would be worth seeing a gastroenterologist for an EGD (upper endoscopy). Like Schindlerpiste said, they'll be able to do a baseline exam, check out your esophagus, stomach and small bowel - then make suggestions on how to get you feeling better.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LAN
    It would be worth seeing a gastroenterologist for an EGD (upper endoscopy). Like Schindlerpiste said, they'll be able to do a baseline exam, check out your esophagus, stomach and small bowel - then make suggestions on how to get you feeling better.
    Wheeeeeeeeee!
    "Holy Blower!" - Jeremy Jones

I have been getting heartburn when I run. It started off as very minor and then this summer got really bad. Probably since I have been running more than ever this summer during training. It was bad enough that it would make me slow down and not want to run. I could swim and bike without any trouble. No symptoms at night or after meals, only when running.

Went to the doc and she gave me some nexium samples. Within 2 days it was 90% better and now all I have to do is take 1 whenever I know I'll be running, like pre-race breakfast and it is 100% better. I did some research and found that this is not all that uncommon among runners.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman
    I have been getting heartburn when I run. It started off as very minor and then this summer got really bad. Probably since I have been running more than ever this summer during training. It was bad enough that it would make me slow down and not want to run. I could swim and bike without any trouble. No symptoms at night or after meals, only when running.

Went to the doc and she gave me some nexium samples. Within 2 days it was 90% better and now all I have to do is take 1 whenever I know I'll be running, like pre-race breakfast and it is 100% better. I did some research and found that this is not all that uncommon among runners.

LAN - thanks! I'll PM you my address...

Vin- yeah, I noticed mine to get worse when I was playing softball (running in short bursts, bouncing around - I play in the infield).

I have been taking Zantac 75 for about a week - as needed, not daily - and it has seemed to have helped; symptoms are not as bad. I think if it continues I will go with the Prilosec OTC after the Zantac runs out as many of you have suggested, before taking the next step to a doctor.

I wonder - is it possible that I am having it so bad lately because the wife has it so bad lately too? She is 8 mos. pregnant. Could I just have 'sympathy' symptoms? I don't know though... it feels very real. I wonder too, if it is amplified by our eating habits, we eat when she wants to, sometimes strange times of the day and she sometimes craves strange foods. Perhaps that was enough of a subtle change in my diet to throw me off just enough...

Thanks all!

pm bagtagley, he never posts anymore but I know he reads the board. He went through at least a couple years of this and got through it finally, he'd be a good resource for you.