Santa Cruz s. swell pic/mini-tr

Drove down from SC from the bay on Tuesday night to catch some of the south swell that night and again the next AM. Cruised down Rt. 1 on a sunny evening which was a treat, grabbed a couple of nice waves right in front of Oneill's house between 7:30 and 9, then some tasty enchiladas down the street, crashed in my car in the 38th street lot above the hook, was first in the water at 5:15 and had it to myself before the pre-work 40+ crowd came in 30 minutes later, then grabbed a tasty breakfast burrito at chill out and cruised back up rt. 1 and was at work by 8:30. Definitely smaller than I was expecting, but fine for me because I suck and am out of surfing shape.

A little of this....

...gets you this by yourself for 30 minutes. Nice clean waist high long board waves are OK in my book any day of the week!

There were like 20 kiters out at Wadell Creek (sp?) on the way down Tuesday night - definitely a cool looking beach- these dudes were ripping! Wind and swell were perfect for these guys - they had a solid loop going and were not wasting 1 wave - everything was getting shredded. You were you out there, Alka?
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

nice - anytime you can get in the water is a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    You were you out there, Alka?
    Didn't kite that day, but probably was out at Sewer Peak those very same days. You camped about sneezing distance from my pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik
    Didn't kite that day, but probably was out at Sewer Peak those very same days. You camped about sneezing distance from my pad.
    I grabbed dinner at that taqueria down the street and a burrito at chill out on my way out. Nice hood...not bad for car camping either! Showers, bathroom, burritos...

That looks fantastic but one question....What is that thing in the wave? And did it have teeth or baleen?

hoods in june? is it still that cold?
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109
    hoods in june? is it still that cold?
    No - I was in a 3/4 and was fine. That is one of those 50-year-old-surf-everyday-at-5-am-and-wear-weird-headgear guys.

No - I was in a 3/4 and was fine. That is one of those 50-year-old-surf-everyday-at-5-am-and-wear-weird-headgear guys.
    Very nice pics. I have a hard time shooting surf pics because if it's good, I'm suiting up and getting wet until it's no longer good. Looks like you had a neat perspective from (a cliff?) above the break.

I've got to comment on your apt description of those older guys with weird headgear. We have two at my local break: Herky Jerky, a good but spastic longboarder, and Mr X, who rides like a late-middle-aged mutant ninja. Both wear unusual headgear; Mr X has been out lately in a neoprene sweatband a la AKPM.

nice pics

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti
    Mr X has been out lately in a neoprene sweatband a la AKPM.
    thank you for that wonderful mental image, LMFAO
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

- A. Solzhenitsyn

- A. Solzhenitsyn

wow! quadruple post by LB!

neoprene headbands are the raddest!

another s swell en route for next weekend

whoa drunker than I though.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Nice TR Gonzo! The Hook! Haven't heard anyone mention that in forerver. Grew up in Aptos - learned to surf at Manreesa and Cement Boat. Miss that area so much!
    Fightin' to save the motherfucking day...

That is one of those 50-year-old-surf-everyday-at-5-am-and-wear-weird-headgear guys.
    speaking of which....

- A. Solzhenitsyn

SuPu would fit right in at my home break. Seriously, Punani -- if you show up in Maine with a boat, I'll make sure you don't get beat up.

it was out of hand yesterday at linda mar. the headgear, that is. there were helmets, hoods, snow camo jungle hats, baseball hats, you name it. oh, and did i mention a dog? a freaking springer spaniel just swam 4 feet from me in a crowded longboard lineup 100+ yards from shore. soooo weird. a good norcal intro for my brother.

i smell a south swell!

I may be in SF this weekend.

If the prophesized south shows up, OB should pick it up, right?

the swell is pretty long interval.... having mixed results down here in the land of the rash guard. be advised....
    he fixes the cable?

firing at the point right now. report to come.

Gonzo, I think I was at the same place... my cousin took me to Capitola on Monday & Tues and we surfed the hook which I am assuming is the same place you were?

I am an EC surf JONG although every time I'm out there he stubbornly gets me on the big foam rental board and I spend the day paddling around and getting cream by waves. I'll probably have to move out there before I progress any further than standing up for more than 4 seconds.

Oh, and the fish tacos at the taqueria were fantastic. FINALLY.