Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin

these guys in the vid made the decision to run it, set up safety and.....they also made the split decisions on how to attempt a rescue.....a few of the guys got worked in the process....guess what? kayaking isn't the safest of sports when the limits are being pushed......sorry to end your day dream......
    Hmmmm...

First, please explain how they set up safety. Looks to me like they set up a videographer who happened to have a throw rope they were not especially good with. I don't recall anyone downstream. What was their "safety" gonna do, haul them up through the hole after they tangled themselves up?

This was not pushing the limits. It was people being clueless. There is a difference. Yeah, anyone and any team can screw up. Fine. Just call it what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift
    This was not pushing the limits. It was people being clueless. There is a difference. Yeah, anyone and any team can screw up. Fine. Just call it what it is though.
    Exactly right on!

Some of my thoughts are

1 This guy seems to be a habitual paddle tosser ( he did it earlier in the flic as well). You better be prepared to get a beatdown if your doing quasi "hero" moves like that. Paddle tossing is kin to salad tossing

2 There is NO excuse to have the guy dropping in on him. you gotta figure not only was the roped video guy able to see the whole picture the person shooting the flic we are watching was able to see the whole thing as well. AND the push and eddies above looked as though there would have been no prob stopping the next boat from peeling out to drop.

3 WTF was the guy going to do sliding down into the hole ? I cant tell if he was roped or not (prob not because he ran over to edge quickly and slid down) Not the greatest thing because if a hole is retentive and powerful enough to hold a swimmer and cartwheel a creekboat in it WTF is another body going to do in there.

Things like this happen But just learn from it and like was said before dont be clueless!

Holy Shit!.... That's not what the sales guy at LL Bean said would happen... Seriously, as a complete beginner, that is some sobering footage. I had no idea such a "small" fall would be able to do that! This should be required viewing by anyone entering the sport. It's given me a whole new fear and respect for the river, and I'll be sure to paddle carefully!

One question, though.... is there anyway to self rescue with or without the paddle... dive deep and push off rocks? Swim to the side? or is it just too powerful? (What about a CO 2 loaded vest like those for scuba... In case of an emergancy, pull rip cord and inflate?) Thanks for humoring my newbie questions.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

In regards to self-rescue, I've been taught that you might have a chance to escape the hole by diving and trying to swim under the upstream current. That did not look like a fun swim and regardless of how many rescuers there might be, this stunt sure as hell is not something I will be trying anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy
    Holy Shit!.... That's not what the sales guy at LL Bean said would happen... Seriously, as a complete beginner, that is some sobering footage. I had no idea such a "small" fall would be able to do that! This should be required viewing by anyone entering the sport. It's given me a whole new fear and respect for the river, and I'll be sure to paddle carefully!

One question, though.... is there anyway to self rescue with or without the paddle... dive deep and push off rocks? Swim to the side? or is it just too powerful? (What about a CO 2 loaded vest like those for scuba... In case of an emergancy, pull rip cord and inflate?) Thanks for humoring my newbie questions.

Swimming anywhere on the surface is usually a waste of energy, you most likely won't get anywhere. Your best best *if possible* is to dive deep in the hole and push of the boulder or wall creating the hydraulic or pull yourself along the bottom if there are rocks to grab onto. I'm thinkin that any type of inflated device attached to you is going to make you better hole bait.

jesus christ, that was scary to watch. and wrong on so many levels. i don't know if I could have made it out of that hole- a sobering thought.
    Old's Cool.