TR: Grizzly Peak 6/19

So being properly refueled and sufficiently bored I guess I should go ahead and post a TR before everyone starts posting poetry and flame wars. Although either one of those may be more interesting than this trip.

After cursory planning I met Leroy Jenkins at his house in Aspen and we headed up Lincoln Creek Road to Grizzly Peak. The hike in was uneventful and took us to the base of the chute and the NE Shoulder, which is where the real work begins.

Grizzly Lake with some dirty snow and beautiful ice blue water. Mtn Boy is one of the peaks in the background.

An unnamed(?) chute opposite Grizzly. Looks like fun when its filled in a bit more.

Leroy finally reaching some firmer snow about a 1/3rd the way up the NE Shoulder. We decided to climb the NE shoulder as it looked a mellower, more consistent angle. Sadly I forgot to take into account the earlier sunhit and spent the bottom third of the gully floundering through knee and hip deep postholes. Frustrating to say the least.

Making headway at last on the upper third of the gully.

Looking North from the top of the chute towards Indy Pass.

Leroy at the top

as we waited for these two to top out

Leroy harvesting the goods

Again...

And again...

Those runnels are getting kind big and I am sure Leroy has some gaperiffic pics of me negotiating the bigger ones at the bottom.

Leroy, I hope you had fun on your first BC tour that didn't involve ducking the ropes. I hope I made ya look good since I, how you say, suck at photography. Post any good pics you have and try and make me look good(I know its hard). PM me if have any questions about biglines or use the search function as I am sure there are multiple thread about it and even better sites for photo hosting. This may be my last TR for the summer, unless I get myself motivated to try La Plata next monday. But my poor dog and mtn bike have been giving me dirty looks and crying neglect so this may be it. Cheers.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

AWWWW SHIT. A very big thank you to joey for gapersitting me (and making me look all steezy). This trip was awesome. More pcitures to come once I figure out what the hell I'm doing.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

TRs are so much better than the current bullshit clogging the forum. That looks tasty.

To post the photos you have to hit the icon that looks like a mountain with the sun above it and insert that same image address in there. Nice pics either way.

Ok, I hope this works this time,

More pictures as promised:

Shot of the lake, just starting the bootpack up

Joey, actually not postholing, at the lower end of the climb

Obligatory Summit shot, castle peak is behind Joey's head, and you can see the bells in the distance. They are the furthest away, and on the right.

We had a freindly visitor, waiting for his owner,

Obligatory entrance shot,

Joey dropping in,

Tearing it up,

Continuing to kill it,

Dealing with the mank,

Repetitive shot of the lake and unnamed chute,

Milking the snow for all the vert its worth,

And finally, a really boring looking line, up and to lookers right on the ridge from the last pic.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Heh, I was with a group of three that skied the chute the day before you guys (see jrredho's TR), and I was looking at that NE chute but it seems like you guys got a little mired going up. Nice skiing though, way to get after it.

Good pics and a good TR!

Few more pictures since I finally figured out how to post them, and am finally contributing stoke. ok, you're right, i just wanted to see my first TR on the front page some more, its a comepltly shameless bump

The sun starting to warm things up,

And i just had to include these peaks,

This is what (wet) dreams are made of,

It looks like there is a dirt road that will let you drive almost to the base of this thing, so seriously, someone needs to get after this.

That looks sweet, I'd totally hit it.

Thanks for the TR guys. Much appreciated. What time did you ski?

Thumbs up

Some nice lines back there. Access to that area is very straightforward and easy. Camping trip may be in order soon. Thanks for putting these pics up guys. Good stuff in there.

I don't know how I missed this TR! It's great that you guys hit the Grizzly line! Super! But, yeah, runnels are forming on that it looks like! Still looks like a bit of good snow there. Do you guys know the name of the mountain you took pics of (Leroy's "wet" dream? ) You should go bag that one next. Seriously. Who says ski season is over?????

Joey- you should try for La Plata. When we skied it last week it was in better condition than your pics look like of Grizzly.... less runnels and less dirty snow, a few suncups but not too bad.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet
    Nice. Well trained mountain dogs are the coolest.

Not TOO well trained though. He kept triing to steal my food, but I can hardly get mad at dogs for that.

We left the summit at about ten I think, maybe a bit earlier. After checking some maps I am not sure if the peaks have official names. The lake on the right in the one picture is Petroleum and the one on the left is Anderson, but don't quote me on those. I believe they are 13'ers so one of the 13er guidebooks may have more info.

Ok, I just went and did some research on these peaks too. The road is actually just the continuation of the Lincoln creek road that goes to the Grizzly Peak trailhead. You can pretty much drive right to the base of these peaks. It would take maybe between two and three hours from Aspen, however the road gets a good bit gnarlier after the reservoir. I’ve been up there on a bike, and a good truck should be able to negotiate it fine, but I doubt something like an outback could handle it.

There are trails going up right up to each of the lakes, and the topos I looked at even called them 4 wheel drive trails, but I'm kinda dubious as to whether you could actually drive right up to the lakes. Regardless, the access is rediculously easy.

I don’t think either of the peaks in my pictures are named, but Larson Peak (which is actually about 1100 feet lower and much mellower looking, why does that get a name?) is just off camera to the right. If you want to check out the topo’s, they are on the border of the Indy Pass and New York Peak quadrangles.

Like a cool breeze on a hot day…this TR rocks!

so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Nice TR, glad you got it done. The amount of melt compared to two weeks ago is drastic.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

It is kinda drastic. The snow will stay in the chute for a while so it makes a fun snow climb into the beginning of July, but I doubt the skiing will be worth the hike in for much longer.