Let's go fly a kite! (with pics)

Well, it will be a lot cooler on skis, but until then a retired Prudhoe Bay airstrip will have to do . . . .

Love the midnight sun

It IS a lot funner on skis. I just started this winter. If you are ever out towards Boise, there is a sweet place about an hour from here called Fairfield with lots of snow and plenty of wind.

Edited for pic of the area am talking about.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 06-16-2006 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Isn't the idea to get airbourne?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Now, dig your heels in and start doing figure 8's in the power zone.

Enjoy the ride.

That's a big-ass kite to be flying with nothing holding you down and no harness! I'd say its a good thing you didn't end up getting slammed into that building.

Strap a mountain board on your feet and you could haul ass back and forth along the runway. You wouldn't even need a big kite for it.

Be careful.

Is there any cool sport that Kellie doesn't do??

Imagine the vert you could rack up with those kites pulling you uphill kellie!!
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

A friend of mine back in Maine has been using kites for the past few years. He is using them on frozen lakes and can generate amazing speeds. This year, just before the ice became unsafe, he hit 69.1 mph! He says it's unbelieveable and hopes to break 70 mph next year. Good luck with the kite it should be a blast. He has won several new kites in speed contests. If you have any questions or need any advice, PM and I can put you in touch w/ him.
    Ski Fast, Take Chances

smooooov

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Oh believe me, I have!

I just got the kite, so there's no snow to practice on nearby (although I'm sure I could go find a glacier somewhere) . . . I figured work is a good time to at least get used to the feel of it. The first night we went out, we had perfect wind heading straight down the runway - the tracks were funny to look at

Anyhow, next winter should be sweet. And maybe that will be the next step, Natty

Is there any cool sport that Kellie doesn't do??
    My thoughts exactly. Are you going to take it in the water this summer Kellie? A lake, Delta, or something? I know skiers who have virtually converted over to Kite Boarding....must be a good time.
    Donjoy to the World!

I bet that would be fun to pass the time up there during the winter. You might want to get a reallly bright headlamp though
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

speaking of flying kites, I saw these two dudes flying an old skool diamond shaped kite in this big open field at the park the other day. The kite's body was maybe 2' wide and 3' long, with a 5 or 6 foot tail. Anyway, it was hella windy (25+ mph) and these guys flying this thing just kept on paying out line for like 45 minutes straight. They would run out of line on one spool and tie another fresh spool to the end and kept paying it out. That fucker was so far out there that you could literally BARELY maintain visual contact with it. Had to be like 2000'+, it was seriously insane. They had to have broken some kind of world record doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat
    Are you going to take it in the water this summer Kellie? A lake, Delta, or something? I know skiers who have virtually converted over to Kite Boarding....must be a good time.
    I don't think this one is suited for water . . . it doesn't inflate (which I'm told water ones do). Plus, I need a drysuit before attempting any water activities in these parts, especially since the outdoor temps continue to hover in the 30's and the lakes still have ice on them Kiteboaring does seem like a cool thing to do here (arctic paradise), or on Turnagain Arm. Ski kiting up here in the winter could be interesting - there is an impressive array of sustrugi (?sp), but I suppose that could make it all the more interesting

So many sports, so little time

Especially in AK!
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum
    It IS a lot funner on skis. I just started this winter. If you are ever out towards Boise, there is a sweet place about an hour from here called Fairfield with lots of snow and plenty of wind.

Edited for pic of the area am talking about.
    Smokey Dome area?

what a great way to tour in that area.....looks like fun

Close. Other side of the highway. Downwinders can go 20 or 30 miles in an hour pretty easily so the touring is pretty cool. It's like setting up a shuttle for kayaking. Plus, you don't have to tack back to the car.
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellie
    I don't think this one is suited for water . . . it doesn't inflate (which I'm told water ones do).
    You can't relaunch the foil kites in water so you are right. The water compatible kites are called LEIs (leading edge inflatible). The are harder to setup though.

It might be cool to take it up to the willow side of hatchers pass
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Its good to see you found something to get the adrenalin pumping up there.

I still think you should BASE jump the antenna.

yeah, it's bad enough she already kicks our asses on the uphill. great- let's get her a kite!

kellie- your optimism has no bounds! now, I do have one burning question- do they serve Espresso Soup on the Bay?

Looks like fun Kellie!!!! That's one darned BIG kite I need one of those to help me go uphill so I can keep up with iskibc
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

I have a few buddies that are absolutely hooked- off to the Columbia Gorge almost every weekend year round.

One was telling me how $$$ it is right now to the rapid progression of the kites- that more proficient set ups coming out like every 6 mos.

Great for extended ski approaches... I want one!
    Move upside and let the man go through...