Always seem to be wonderin' why
    there's nothin' goin' down here

seems to me I could live my life
    A lot better than I think I am
    I guess that's why they call me

The workin' man

Well, they call me the workin' man
    I guess that's what I am

Big lights and sirens past the house. Turned radio on and it’s a guy drunk, suicidal and homicidal at the hospital parking lot, and it’s my old coworker Ben (who has a uniquely identifiable legal name). Old logger from the res…haven’t seen him in a few years… it took him so long to get good at our job and he finally got it, then imploded with calling in “sick” (drunk).
    Fucking so sad.

So fucking sad.

Lately every day a whole little family of fox kits has been exploring around my house. Little nature puppies looking for snacks. Born into the mortal danger of living right next a big busy highway.

One of the cops who aggressively harassed me for walking my dog at the neighborhood beach last year is retiring and has put in a job application where I work. High odds he will be a coworker soon.
    One day at a time. One day at a time.

It’s a clear crisp cinco de Mayo night for a campfire, looking at the same moon they look at in the desert outside Juarez.

Structure fire now on the radio, people inside, animals inside.
    God help us. Jesus help us.

Hey man slow down, chill, have some water and get some fresh air. You're sounding a bit wild but you can fight it off if you want to.

Saw the first girl I had sex with at the grocery store the other week. She now has lost most of her teeth, she is pushing 400lbs and was using one of those grocery store mobility scooters. She stood up so I could give her a hug.
    She’s as sweet of heart as she ever was, these 28 years have been very unkind to her. 2 disabled kids. It seems manifestly unjust, and I feel a depth of helplessness and discomfort I can’t properly convey in words.

Ok then lol.

I’m ok, I’m the eye of the storm.

I will sleep soundly in a soft bed with warm blankets, I will wake up without an alarm. I will ride my Honda into work and be Of Service, and then it will be a weekend.

My mom’s longtime friends living very rural, far afield, are now both quite disabled. She has some kind of longstanding neurodegenerative situation and now has trouble speaking clearly. He has not taken a day off working a firewood operation in the woods in decades, but has finally mostly succumbed to serious hip problems, and is jerry rigging systems to still run his machinery while barely able to walk. The area around them has become an odd incomprehensible mix of heinous methamphetamine desperation and big money vacation properties.
    I was up for Sunday dinner, there had been a giant house-rattling explosion up the way earlier in the day, but circumstances dictated they didn’t even call it in or go check on it.
    I found the whole of it totally unsettling.

The junk-hauler guy across the way has left the lights on in his work truck.
    I walked over to turn them off and noticed all his stupid aggressive signage and whatnot. Figure there are cameras. Dude will have to jump it tomorrow.
    20 years ago I could have just gone in and shut his lights off.
    Progress!

Stick to your own property G.

A bell 407 has overflown my house 2 laps now.
    Busy night at the trauma unit.

State police heading to the hospital for a blood draw.

It’s cinco de mayo all right. We’re doing this.

People want writing, well I’m fucking writing.
    What do you want to know?

Did Kurt Vonnegut ever have to flirt with a surly disgusting portly dispatcher to get himself a proper lunch break? Doubtful.

A little bird crashed into my window this week.
    Dog and I went out to assess. He was stunned, but his wings and legs were ok, so I scooped him up and walked around with him for a bit. Made him a cozy lil nest in a flower pot with grass and leaves. Got a couple eggs and some egg shells leftover from breakfast and staged him up so he would wake up thinking he’d been hatched again anew.

Came back from a dog walk and he had departed.

I felt good about all of that.

The other night I had drunk too much coffee at work and was still wired at 2am. Heard swirling rounds of high speed chasery out the window, so I turned on the radio.
    Chasee did at least 30 minutes on a sparking rim, with the whole frothing county meathead pack chasing him around town and outskirts and back. Choice move at one point to pull into the entrance to the state prison, rally around the parking lot and back out. I listened to the supervisory directive to back off and let him rip southward toward the county line. Disappointed chasers followed all the way to the line and turned back. White guy with dreads in a buick. He got away. Good show.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    A little bird crashed into my window this week.
    Dog and I went out to assess. He was stunned, but his wings and legs were ok, so I scooped him up and walked around with him for a bit. Made him a cozy lil nest in a flower pot with grass and leaves. Got a couple eggs and some egg shells leftover from breakfast and staged him up so he would wake up thinking he’d been hatched again anew.

Came back from a dog walk and he had departed.

I felt good about all of that.
    This does seem decidedly better than the firebombing of Dresden. Well done, sir.

We’re too backwater for Greyhound here, so we have this other seedy outfit called Indian Trails. It arrives and departs at 2am, so often when I’m leaving work there will be some drifter settling in for the long wait in our vestibule.
    The other day a guy got dropped off by his lawyer, he had been acquitted.
    We talked for a bit. He got robbed on the Keweenaw Bay Indan Community reservation, and beat the shit out of the robber. Spent 7 months in jail, and won at trial. Now he’s headed back to Traverse City with the clothes on his back to try to put his life back together. His dad may get him a job picking grapes at a vineyard.

Wife just accepted a 39% paybump. Which puts her up 400% year over year. And the new gig is as platinum from a stability perspective as they come in her industry. Fuck yes I'm drinking awesome vintage Vouvray tonight.

Sadly she wants to buy a house where she doesn't have to work in the office. I offered to move into a shed in the backyard. But she vetoed that.

salt of the earth criminals in the UP!

Anyone else get melancholy some nights thinking of their friends who died too young? At one point in time it was a death every few months. One after the other, and all dying skiing, biking, base jumping, etc. Some of their deaths seem almost romantic compared to the deaths of recent friends though. One died skiing a classic chute in Chamonix, one was a poet who hung himself in a barn on a ranch in central Montana, or more often than not, they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time while trying an epic adventure. All the deaths at the time seemed horrible and tragic at the time, they didn't seem remotely romantic then. In retrospect the quickness of their deaths and them not being married and having no kids (well most of them - some did) seems like a good way to go now - although I wish they were all alive of course.

But I'm old now and now friends don't die in the mountains much, they die after years of brutal cancer and other common human ailments that will soon happen to me or you. One just had a heart attack and left two young kids. He wasn't even 50. Domestic drudgery deaths are the worst, I'd rather die doing something stupid in the mountains. Anyways, I miss all those guys and I've got another "Live Like ___" bumper sticker to collect this month, maybe I'll see some of ya at the party in MT. Bands will be playing, beer will be drunk, and i'll wish i didn't forget to call him recently.

Well written. Sorry about your friend. Bridger person?
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Jeebus. IAS took the “post as much as you can” literally.

I did it. I posted as much as I could.

Knee beer turns to knee coffee.
    Moon becomes sun.
    Sirens and helicopters turn to roaring commuters and mine trucks.
    This one log smolders on, he is survivor of the logs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FE44D79-722B-4A7F-9FD7-197B90F58BD9.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	873.6 KB 
ID:	415496

Sorry I missed all that last night. Tell me you weren't up all night J.

I read a thing once, the person was somewhere gritty in New York, the El overhead, vacant lots and heavy traffic and weeds and trash and broken glass, and a pack of dogs came running by. They ran right through traffic, and one of them got pegged by a car and went flying and spun off and slid to a crumpled landing, heaved a last breath and died.

The person expected the other dogs to stop, to circle back and check on their buddy, maybe try to help somehow, but they just kept running like they didn't even notice and disappeared off into the distance, running and yapping and barking. He thought they'd care, and maybe they did, but they were busy running and looking for something to eat or fuck or fight, so they just kept going.

That's just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Sorry I missed all that last night. Tell me you weren't up all night J.

I read a thing once, the person was somewhere gritty in New York, the El overhead, vacant lots and heavy traffic and weeds and trash and broken glass, and a pack of dogs came running by. They ran right through traffic, and one of them got pegged by a car and went flying and spun off and slid to a crumpled landing, heaved a last breath and died.

The person expected the other dogs to stop, to circle back and check on their buddy, maybe try to help somehow, but they just kept running like they didn't even notice and disappeared off into the distance, running and yapping and barking. He thought they'd care, and maybe they did, but they were busy running and looking for something to eat or fuck or fight, so they just kept going.

That's just how it is.
    Sums up life, no?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It does often seem like that to me.