Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picture Stoke

Picture Stoke

Alright, Time for you boater mags to post some pics of yourself. Here's my latest one from this weekend. This is the last drop on Lake Fork of the Gunnison. Awesome river.

Last edited by Storm11; 06-12-2006 at 11:27 AM.

Sweet pic man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Somehow wandered onto the board from Cali....Bridge Creek, California.

Conundrum, contact me if you are still selling the mafia.

http://jscreekin.blogspot.com

Dude, I have been watching your blog for quite awhile. It fucking rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by jscreekin
    Conundrum, contact me if you are still selling the mafia.

http://jscreekin.blogspot.com
    Dude, that is a cool blog.

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I was damn tired last night when I checked my pm's and kind of forgot until now. Check yer box-pm sent.
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Thanks for the props on the blog guys, it's a great area to paddle and live, except there really aren't many paddlers in the area. Our local season is wrapping up this week, so things are slowing down around here. Have fun on the water...

Lake Fork

Storm is the Lake Fork run quality? Class III? Is it worth the drive or just hit it on the way to CB?

Thanks
    Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes

Quote Originally Posted by 420Powderpimp
    Storm is the Lake Fork run quality? Class III? Is it worth the drive or just hit it on the way to CB?

Thanks
    Yes. I think it's worth the drive. It's short, but it's one of my new favorite runs. We did it on a high day, so it was rated (according to CRC) class IV with a V-. Supposedly, the 7 mile section of class II above it has some really nice play waves, but we didn't have time to do it. Red Bridge actually looks kinda boring from the road (you can road scout EVERYTHING.) but it boats a lot more fun than it appears. There's awesome wave trains, sweet squirt lines and some awesome rapids. At current level, it's considered Class III, but I would say there are going to be 3 maybe four solid Class IV rapids. The first one is a river wide hole called Surpirse Ledge...you'll know it when you see it on the shuttle. It's hard to see on river hence the name. I snuck it far river right, but my buddy blew his line and went right down the gut and it boated better than my sneak line. Rattle Snake (the V-) was awesome. It's pushy and bigger than it appears. Avoid the wood seive on river right at top and the undercut wall on the left at bottom. A swim here would suck because of the wall at the bottom, plus the runout is a little manky. Third is a cool little chute that has some big waves, and some holes to avoid, but is pretty easy and muy divertido. The last drop is the one in my picture. Run it right down the gut off the ski jump pour over, avoid river right at all costs. It's an awesome run.

If you're going from Durango, there's a 'secret' way to get there... when you're on the road from Montrose to Gunny, as you're driving along Blue Mesa, there's a little road called "Lake City Cutoff". It's a dirt road, but smooth the whole way. From here, it's about 20ish miles and will take you directly to the put in. You'll cross Red Bridge, turn right and the put in is the campground a couple hundred yards upstream from the bridge. The take out is at the end of the same road, but to the left of the bridge.
    Last edited by Storm11; 06-12-2006 at 04:59 PM.

North of South, South of North, West of East

Best one of me so far, tail end of a C-III hole on the Nantahala River in NC.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Upper Rustic on the Poudre - I'm still a bit of a gaper boater - note the "Oh Shit, hold on!" look...

Is your first name Abe?

No, but everyone calls me Abe

Murtaugh Canyon on the Snake, 1,500 cfs last fall, Lets Make a Deal (Door 4.5)

Same day, Opium Hole

Upper Youghiogheny ,MD .Release level

Follow link for slideshow. Reminder of why you dont screw off in a eddy next to a big hole. Nail the Boof and get sucked into a beatdown

http://img461.

Quote Originally Posted by FunHoggy
    Upper Youghiogheny ,MD .Release level

Follow link for slideshow. Reminder of why you dont screw off in a eddy next to a big hole. Nail the Boof and get sucked into a beatdown

http://img461.

Ahhh! The classic National Falls beatdown.... And the best part (besides having the audience there to cheer for your pummeling) is that you stuck the boof!

Not that I know ANYTHING about getting worked in that hole...

Last edited by MarsB; 06-16-2006 at 12:34 PM. Reason: added carnage pics
    Montani Semper Liberi

Stink doin' some flatwater cartwheels...

Me sucking as usual...the mystery move..on a small wave...
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    I'm going to start by punching myself in the nuts.

fun little drop on Laurel Creek a few months ago
    Montani Semper Liberi

Me at the Fibark rodeo out in Colorado.

Me back in the day. We thought this was a first D on a super obscure run in Idaho, turns out some other guys had run it a few years before. Only runs a few days a year...

Hey Rootskier-

Is that the little P, if so do you have any more pics?

Yes, I'm not sure...and do I know you? If you live in Moscow or paddle with people who do, I am sure we at least have friends in common.

I guess there are more pics somewhere....finding them is another matter entirely. They might just be film, and I don't have a scanner.

I can tell you about it, though: some really cool bedrock drops (pictured one probably the best), some heinous boulder chokers, and a super steep gorge we portaged due to the whole 'unknown' factor and it was early March when days are short, plus an absolutely heinous paddle out through overhanging trees (from my understanding, this is pretty typical of all Potlatch/lower Clearwater drainage runs).

I would probably give 'er again though and try and run more of it including the gorge...this was probably 5 years ago or more.

Yours truly on Brennans Wave in the heat of summer

getting some right-side brace practice from Mike Tyson:
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow
    Yours truly on Brennans Wave in the heat of summer

I love the flames.