Bottom Bracket Question????

I've got a clanging noise coming from my bottom bracket on my roadie. It seems to be getting worse.
    I have Durace 10 speed so its the one piece bottom bracket. Can't figure the noise out.

Any suggestions????

Thanks for your help!

Nothing's loose? Chainrings, BB, etc...
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

remove, clean, lube (where you should) and re-assemble

usually takes care of 50% of the problems with most gear.

thats assuming Viva's solution didn't work

tighten your waterbottle cages and relube your seatpost, so long as its not cf.

I'm always amazed how often noises I think are something else are coming from the seatpost and bottle cages.

clean the saddle/seatpost bolts and rails too. check handlebar/stem

alot of times its the crainring bolts for this sort of noise.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

another to throw on the pile, do you have a pump on your downtube, sometimes they vibrate and it is tough to pinpoint and can sound like the bottom bracket, this was my example
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

And..... a few more ideas; make sure the pedals are tight, and the rear skewer is snug.

Another possible noise maker could be your front hub; if you have Kryssium sl's the cartridge bearings often make creaking and knocking noises that sometimes seem to come from the bb. Frames often act like speakers and amplify and project noises.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

and yet two more ideas....

I just had the non-drive side bearing fail on a external BB (like the 10 speed) and it made some noise due to the play. Good news - they're not too expensive (~$45)

Chain - a tight link can do strange things.
    I think I'm going mad.

Are you sure it's the bottom bracket? Isolate the noise = first step to diagnosis.

With bike on workstand (or have helped hold it up by seat), pull the chain off to the inside of the middle chainring so it rests on the BB shell. Turn the crank by hand -- with your fingers on the crank arm, not on the pedal -- feel for roughness and/or play in the BB bearings.

If you can't find anything wrong in the BB itself, check all the other possible things that can loosen up as mentioned in the posts above.

BB noises I've had are usually creaks/squeaks from the BB cups having a little "wiggle" in the threads in the frame, even if properly tightened. Greasing the threads works some of the time to fix this, but I just use teflon tape on the BB cup threads now, which has worked 100% of the time for me to stop creaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Everyone,

Thanks for all your help. I still can't figure out what the hell it is but i'm going to get it torn apart this weekend when I have time to get her on the stand.

Thanks again!