Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    Awesome! The Record was one of the first albums I got. Senior year of HS it was in heavy rotation on our way to Nordic ski meets. Made a good friend the first week of college as he came to investigate who was playing fear.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    GG was a shitty artist.
    I see what you did there.

My brother saw GG and ended up mostly hiding in the hallway with everyone else as GG menaced the crowd with some bucket of assumedly hepatitis laden felch that he would spray into the crowd. Another friend's band opened for them and said GG was a pretty nice guy, and would get ready for a show by eating a box of ex-lax. All in all, not a bad business plan; get paid up front, learn three chords, play all of 6 minutes, escape before the police shut the place down. The crowd gets a story to tell and GG moves onto the next town.

Even if he was still alive and playing, definitely straight to video. Blood, sweat and beer are fine, but I am just not punk enough for shit.

Another story: I had just gotten GG Allin: Dirty Love Songs double lp from Wax Trax in Denver back in '85. You know, the one with the cover that folds out into a poster of him pulling his pud for all the youngs girls to drool over. I was playing it in my room, my mom happened to be listening outside the door. At the moment that GG belted out some particularly misogynist line, she burst through the door, ripped the needle off the record and smashed the record over her knee. At that moment, my mother was more punk rock than GG. I still have the other record.

And finally, I think GG lost his punk cred when he didn't make good on his promise to kill himself on stage. He became more of a circus act than anything. And then he died like a hippie rock star of a heroin overdose. A disappointing ending to a promising legacy..... So, no, punk didn't die with GG; it died when bands like Green day, Rancid, Operation Ivy, Offspring all brought punk fashion to the mainstream with little more oomph than Air Supply. It died when Van's warped tour figured out how to turn DIY into millions of dollars. And I hate to say this, because I love everything Nirvana has done both pre and post fame, but it died when Nevermind knocked Michael Jackson off of the charts.

I am more metal with a side of punk, so guilty on the GD, Offspring, Pennywise fronts. Like a lot of the crossover stuff...big DRI fan since Dealing With It (one of all time fave albums). But like Mr Milano said, It's what's inside of your head not the length of your hair.

Punk elitism is stupid.

Johnny rotten supports Donald Trump? Is that punk?

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-w...p-brexit-vote/
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    And finally, I think GG lost his punk cred when he didn't make good on his promise to kill himself on stage. He became more of a circus act than anything. And then he died like a hippie rock star of a heroin overdose. A disappointing ending to a promising legacy..... So, no, punk didn't die with GG; it died when bands like Green day, Rancid, Operation Ivy, Offspring all brought punk fashion to the mainstream with little more oomph than Air Supply. It died when Van's warped tour figured out how to turn DIY into millions of dollars. And I hate to say this, because I love everything Nirvana has done both pre and post fame, but it died when Nevermind knocked Michael Jackson off of the charts.
    I'll add when Hot Topics showed up in every Mall in the USA.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    GG was a shitty artist.
    Now that there is comedy.

A few years ago I had the pleasure of planning a bachelor party for a buddy and a fellow maggot. We went DH mountain biking, drank beer, got dinner in downtown Denver, then took him to a punk show.

The headliner was Dillinger Four, who a few of us had heard of, but nobody really knew or listened to, but they were playing that day, so what the hell. The venue was Summit Music Hall, a somewhat dingy little place that hosts primarily metal and punk shows, holds about 1000 people, and unlike most of Denver's smaller venues that are old converted theaters with tiered main floors, the flat wide open floor promotes moshing. 24oz PBRs are the currency of choice.

We walk in just as the last opener, a local Denver band, gets onstage. Most of us are being lame, drinking PBRs in the back. Our mid-60s friend that listens to primarily downtempo electronic, folk, and bluegrass disappears, then 10-minutes later comes back witha shit-eating grin and proclaims "Dudes, the mosh pit is going off!" So we join in and have a good time.

About halfway through the set, a rather large, middle-aged, overweight gentleman with no shirt on comes on stage and gives the drummer a shoulder massage. A little odd. He then moves towards the front of the stage and occasionally yells random things in the microphone - clearly VERY inebriated. I'm wondering what kind of poor life decisions lead to being a middle-aged drunk guy yelling shit into the mic during a concert by a Denver punk band that never made it, but the music was good and the band shrugged it off, so whatever.

Dillinger Four comes on. Turns out, random large drunk guy is the bassist for D4. Also turns out, he didn't switch to water in between sets. They fumble through a couple of songs as drunk shirtless bassist attempts to play, occasionally fretting the right note, occasionally picking the right string, but rarely at the same time.

The crowd was fairly active this particular night to begin with, with a fair number of empty beer cans and plastic cups flying around throughout the evening. The barrage intensified as the crowd began to realize how wasted this guy was. Random projectiles diminished while fire towards stage right intensified. Some ceased firing blanks and began launching live ordinance, tossing cans before finishing the beer in them.

Shortly Drunk Bassist decides that being shirtless is not enough. He pulls down his pants and continues to attempt to play in his tighty whiteys, pants around his ankles. A well meaning groupie/friend comes out and kneels in front of him, trying to pull his pants back up (from a distance it looks like she's blowing him) as fire intensifies further. She succeeds in getting his pants back on, but that lasts only a few seconds and bam, they're back around his ankles.

It doesn't take long for gravity to take over and the bassist takes an unintentional dive off the side of the stage. The band stops, apologizes and drags the guy into the back. A few minutes later they come back out, sans bassist, and inform us they're going to try a few songs without a bass guitar. Halfway through the first one, bassist returns, this time completely naked. He doesn't even bother with the guitar this time, instead just strumming his wang as if it was the guitar.

Predictably, artillery retaliation from the crowd is swift and severe. At this point, one of our friends, who happens to be insanely athletically talented, mutters "Fuck this shit!" and underhand lobs a half full 24oz PBR from a solid 50ft out. It laser beams onstage and nails the bassist dead square in the forehead. He stumbles and falls as the salvo continues. I don't recall which hit was the final blow, but eventually the dude takes a header right into the drumset and the band finally gave up and concluded the show early.

tl:dr I planned a bachelor party where a fat middle aged guy showed us his dick.

The bachelor party with the strippers and a backcountry sounds a little more fun.

Still, there's something to be said for a chaotic shitshow of a show. Good story

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Agreed lame way to go out on heroin. Onstage suicide would've been the most gnar way to end.

I saw the murder junkies play a few years ago at Hanks Saloon. The show ended with Dino sticking his drumsticks up his ass.

90's lo-fi brought some good stuff:

^GOod shit!

Keep em coming

What's this thread without The Cramps. Anyone on here get to see them live? I was born in the wrong era
    Caught 'em live at First Avenue (Mpls) back in the mid/late eighties. Poison Ivy fucking killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Caught 'em live at First Avenue (Mpls) back in the mid/late eighties. Poison Ivy fucking killed it.
    Damn that must have permanently changed the hard wiring of your brain!

^^^ yeah, it weakened me. Then Nashville Pussy delivered the fatal blow.

https://youtu.be/gjsW69fj88Q

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    ^^^ yeah, it weakened me. Then Nashville Pussy delivered the fatal blow.

https://youtu.be/gjsW69fj88Q
    Ah! I sorta had a chance to see Nashville Pussy like a year ago w/ Unknown Hinson but way too far of a drive

Nashville Pussy put on a helluva show. Lots of Jack Daniels...
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Cool article on NPR this AM: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...ing-about-food

I got to see Shonen Knife play a few months ago. Awesome show. If they come to your area check em out!

Cleaning the basement this weekend and found an old stash of albums. Haven't had a turntable in 20 years but still listen to most of these electronically.

First up, one of my favorite albums of all time. Used to have a denim jacket that I painted this album cover on. Cut the sleeves off the jacket and wore it over the mandatory black motorcycle jacket.

Green vinyl!

Old girlfriend gave me this, supposedly a first pressing. The google says, kind of, sort of, not really.

Swiped this from a college radio station. This is one that I would like to listen to. Interview with Hustler Du mixed in with songs from the album. Actually listened to the album on my way to work this morning, it stands the test of time.

And a few 45s. Blue vinyl from JFA, red vinyl from minor threat, and a couple other discord issues. Price tags still in place.