Thread: Hooray for Beer and Bogart

Hooray for Beer and Bogart

Due to a long dry spell on the herbage front(my intoxicant of choice) thanks to no reliable connections here in the land of the rich and famous I have spent the last month rekindling my love affair with alcohol. I may never turn my back on a drug(especially weed) but booze is like an old friend, always there when you need it and it never gets old. I may be wasted right now but I know what I know and I know I love booze. And I just finished watching Casablance for the first time with my GF. Bogart is the man. I miss the days when smart people got shitty drunk and dressed up in impeccably tailored suits to do it. Alcoholism with class. Out on the town I must head, my barstool at Ricks is calling my name.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Casablanca is a great movie. But Rick drank brandy, not beer. Hooray for brandy and Bogart?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear
    Casablanca is a great movie. But Rick drank brandy, not beer. Hooray for brandy and Bogart?
    Very true. Beer was just what I happen to be drinking tonight. I do love Brandy though. The last year or so I started really liking Calvados(apple Brandy) that is some good shit, save the Couvasier and Remy for the wannabe's. I might just go pour a snifter of it right now. Thanks for the tip.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

For another alchohol + Tuxedos and Evening wear fare, take a look at the Thin Man series with Dick Powel and Myrna Loy.

Nora "How many have you had so far Nicky"
    Nick "Um...Five. I think."
    Nora "Waiter, I'd like five martinis please, just line them up right here in front of me as I've got some catching up to do."
    Good runs when you get them.

"What hit me?"
    "The last martini. How about a pick-me-up?
    I love the Thin Man

it's Mumm Cordon Rouge for all your good times.. rick says "Here, here, drink up, we'll never finish the other 3"

For business and bad times it's bourbon (w/Sr Ferrari, etc.) and there's some brandy in there too.
    Last edited by cj001f; 06-06-2006 at 01:10 AM.
    Elvis has left the building

[QUOTE=cj001f]...I love the Thin Man
    ...QUOTE]

Got to see all six of them on the big screen last year at a local art house in Seattle called the Grand Illusion. One of them hadn't been shown for many years and the GI scored a vault print directly from the studio.
    That was a fun three weeks.

FYI, all six are out on DVD in a box-set now. http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=WBD067399
    Good runs when you get them.