PSA: Int Mountaineering offered at Lake Tahoe Com. College

PSA: I am advising northern California Maggots that an Intermediate Mountaineering class will be offered at Lake Tahoe Community College in South Lake Tahoe in July. I want to take the course and am making this PSA because when the course was offered last summer, we didn't get enough students to make the course go.

This course might be to basic for many maggots, but for others it offers a relatively inexpensive way to get some mountaineering skills.

The main advantage of this course is that you get great instruction at a cheaper rate than if you took the course with a guide. The fee will be at least $50 for CA residents. The cost is much more if you are not a CA resident. Northern NV residents get a good neighbor discount. There will be an additional cost to cover the expenses of the trip, but it should still be cheaper than a four day trip with a guide service.

The head instructor is Rick Newberry. He is on patrol at Kirkwood in the winter and a rep for BCA. He has guided for commercial guide services before, but he is not certified. The student instructro ratio is 6:1 with a max of 12 students.

Rick is trying to arrange the overnight to be on the N side of Shasta, but it might also be in the Desolation Wilderness or the Eastern Sierra.

You will need overnight camping gear and good boots. You will be able to rent the other gear you need, which will depend on wear the trip goes.

The prerequisite for the couse is Beggining Mountaineering, WLD 117A, which meets Mondays, 6/25-7/17. You can also register for Int Mountaineering with the instructors approval of your previous experience, which should include basic rock climbing, snow travel with an ice axe, and cross country backpacking.

The schedule for Int Mountaineering is as follows:

Lecture: Mondays (7/17 & 7/31) 0600PM-0850PM Room: E106

Trip: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (7/24-7/27)

Course Description WLD 117B Intermediate Mountaineering

This field-based course is designed to provide students with necessary, advanced information to travel safely in wilderness areas. Topics include mountaineering, cross country backpacking, rock climbing, glacier travel techniques, peak ascents, and glissading. Much of the instruction occurs during a field expedition. Instruction will be both classroom and field-based.

You can register online starting 6/6 at: http://www.ltcc.edu/
    It might be more complicated for first time students who have not registered before.

It's probably dirt cheap for cali residents too. I took my avy1 course there and it only cost around $15.