Page 765 of 776 FirstFirst ... 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 ... LastLast
Results 19,101 to 19,125 of 19379
    In CA just hire Team Brown. No questions asked, just like in MX.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I do it in a less racist way, but I recommend that my clients make their popcorn disappear before I get involved.

It usually only has a tiny bit of asbestos in it, and wet scraping won't result in breathing any of it, but I still can't touch it without an full loony asbestos certified cleanup, which is $$$$.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

It's easy to get it tested as well. Just take a sample, ship it to a lab, and you'll have the results in a few days (and it's confidential). Last time I sent some popcorn was about a year ago, and it came back Chrysotile 3%, Friable. Considering I've seen lino/vinyl backing as high as 50%, that's not too bad.

Yea, easy enough but I had a 1 month old kid and wall to wall carpet and vaulted ceilings, asbestos test came back positive. I wasn’t going to fuck around and have asbestos fibers imbedded in the carpet for my kid to crawl on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, you can't scrape it while you're living in the building.

Ya, still have the popcorn ceilings in this early '70's home. No roof leaks/ceiling stains, so it took a fresh coat of ceiling paint just fine. Might not be modern chic, but not worth my time to remove.

Man I used to spray that shit up there all day long for a while. Fortunately it didn't take me long to get fired.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Man I used to spray that shit up there all day long for a while. Fortunately it didn't take me long to get fired.
    That’s great. Guy did you a massive favor!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    It's easy to get it tested as well. Just take a sample, ship it to a lab, and you'll have the results in a few days (and it's confidential). Last time I sent some popcorn was about a year ago, and it came back Chrysotile 3%, Friable. Considering I've seen lino/vinyl backing as high as 50%, that's not too bad.
    Got a lab recommendation? My parents' place has a stupid amount of popcorn, and they probably had it tested when they moved in, but at this point my dad's memory isn't a reliable source of info.

I was hoping to tackle removing some of it next spring, but I'm not an asbestos fan.

Also, did someone say water damage?
    (See also: I really hope that doesn't have significant asbestos in it)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211125_065943.jpeg 
Views:	139 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	393979

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Got a lab recommendation? My parents' place has a stupid amount of popcorn, and they probably had it tested when they moved in, but at this point my dad's memory isn't a reliable source of info.

I was hoping to tackle removing some of it next spring, but I'm not an asbestos fan.

(See also: I really hope that doesn't have significant asbestos in it)Click image for larger version. 

Get a mold test
    Wear a mask and goggles and gloves
    Get a disposable paint suit onsie
    Place plastic on floor
    Spray popcorn with water mist.
    Scrape with big scraper onto plastic
    Throw everything out including onsie and gloves
    Let it dry
    Sand and rough it up
    Put goggles, gloves and mask back on
    Paint with kilz
    Let it dry and apply second finish coat with color
    Use a good nap like purdy
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (0/2)

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Ya, still have the popcorn ceilings in this early '70's home. No roof leaks/ceiling stains, so it took a fresh coat of ceiling paint just fine. Might not be modern chic, but not worth my time to remove.
    The only bummer with painting it is that then you can never scrape it. It's there forever now unless you cover it with drywall mud, or new sheetrock, or remove it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    The only bummer with painting it is that then you can never scrape it. It's there forever now unless you cover it with drywall mud, or new sheetrock, or remove it entirely.
    May be so, but this ceiling was painted a few times already before I moved in. I would be surprised if there are many left from that era that haven't been coated at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    It's a crapshoot, but even when painted, I've had good luck with the following:

Aggressively run a wallpaper perforated on the popcorn & soak with a garden sprayer. Do this multiple times over a few days. Then soak it one more time as you scrape it with a drywall knife.

I'll leave it up to ya'll to figure out the OSHA guidelines, what professional remediation looks like and the differences in concerns between a contractor and a homeowner.

Got a lab recommendation?
    Western Analytical Lab https://www.asbestostesting.com

To add to whyturn's list:

If there's a forced air furnace, turn it off. Cover all heating vents and the cold air return with plastic, and tape.

Doing one room at a time and sealing the room off from the rest of the building is a good idea. Open window with a box fan drawing outward it isn't a bad idea either (depending on what's out there). The pros have to filter it, but wet popcorn isn't going to float around much.

If you're disturbing friable material, spend the money on a good mask: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...ochure-pdf.pdf

Double bag and tape all of the removed material. If you're doing it the legal way (by taking it to a facility that accepts hazmat) it must be labeled as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    There it is officer, there's the house that hurt me.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bellingham.../home/15812749

This house is so full of WTF. We've seen some other houses in this neighborhood (Bellingham Tweed Twenties), and they were all pretty funky, like everyone in the neighborhood was raised by wolves, then came into money in their teens and decided to build a house, but this one takes the cake.
    Went pending after 5 days...time to admit I have no idea what's going on with this housing market

Went pending after 5 days...time to admit I have no idea what's going on with this housing market
    Nice aerial photos of the neighborhood. Some kook did you a favor in scooping that one up. I didn't like the looks of the inside at all. Lots of stuff to fix to my non expert eye.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Nice aerial photos of the neighborhood. Some kook did you a favor in scooping that one up. I didn't like the looks of the inside at all. Lots of stuff to fix to my non expert eye.
    Oh yeah, totally agree. My comment was more along the lines of "who the hell was in a hurry to jump on that pile of bad decisions?"

I don't see popcorn here, just an absolutely absurd amount of mud applied by a fucking idiot.

IMO, it's just desperation. Most of the new listings for better properties are above a lot of people's budgets, so they're fighting over the garbage.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I remodeled a condo this year for a client that had popcorn everywhere. Use visqueen for the floors and painter plastic to cover the walls. Spray it down with a pump sprayer of water with palmolive dish soap. Let it soak in each section for about 15 minutes. Don't do more than say 30sf at a time. Big scraper. Put on some good tunes. Embrace the suck for 3 or 4 days. Texture. Paint.

I don’t know how the people accomplished it, but having all the popcorn and orange peel smoothed out in my home was one of the best investments. So much of home maintenance and repair is invisible and this is instant gratification.
    Anyone doing a remodel or repainting should strongly consider it.
    iirc It wasn’t really that expensive relatively speaking either
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    IMO, it's just desperation. Most of the new listings for better properties are above a lot of people's budgets, so they're fighting over the garbage.
    Despite the great advice we've gotten on this front, we sometimes feel a little desperate ourselves, but not _that_ desperate. That house was messed up.

I talked to an agent in Waldport, OR this weekend. He said decent properties in the Waldport/ Yachats/ Seal Rock areas are going under contract in 3-5 days. Hyperbole?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I talked to an agent in Waldport, OR this weekend. He said decent properties in the Waldport/ Yachats/ Seal Rock areas are going under contract in 3-5 days. Hyperbole?
    I haven't done any looking out there, but we're definitely seeing that in Bellingham: houses hit the market on Wednesday and have offer review dates on Monday.

I haven't done any looking out there, but we're definitely seeing that in Bellingham: houses hit the market on Wednesday and have offer review dates on Monday.
    I did a few RE transactions for family and friends in 2016-2018 and it seemed like it was that way back then. Now anything under $800k has gone full retard in San Diego. I can not even begin to wrap my head around market prices now and I am so glad I don't have to deal with that issue anymore. To the mags buying...vibes.