Page 412 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 ... LastLast
Results 10,276 to 10,300 of 27076
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    If only there was a local source of timber in your area....
    Yes, you rang?

But seriously. In areas where timber was scarce--like in the Plains during the pioneer days--they used sod. Maybe its time to consider building with other materials.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Those pesky code regulations tend to be limiting in terms of options.
    Live Free or Die

A buddy is building a place and builder ordered all materials at the start 3 months ago before dirt work started. My buddy was just told he was lucky and there is now a 6 mo delay on trusses but his are on the way. Northern MT for his house.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I know, and most people here dismiss it because they're the ones driving this bullshit.
    Lol.

Come to a all white ski forum and think otherwise?

Please.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I think lumber is up more like +150% from precovid. I think they've now come down 40% or so from the top but still out of control
    One of the homebuilders I spk with said the cost of lumber is adding an ave of $16k more in material costs per home right now
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Past couple of weeks lumber futures have tanked. The high wasn't demand driven like most assume. It was a temporary lack of supply due to COVID. They are still higher than 2019 levels but coming down quick.
    I hope that trend continues. Seems like as winter comes, home construction will taper off, and the building supply chain will normalize. Unless of course the COVID/Flu tsunami hits, and then who knows?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Yes, you rang?

But seriously. In areas where timber was scarce--like in the Plains during the pioneer days--they used sod. Maybe its time to consider building with other materials.
    Bricks made with straw and mud. Time to get old school!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Un-reinforced masonry is definitely the building material of choice for such seismically stable areas as the PNW and California.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Bricks made with straw and mud. Time to get old school!
    fuck yeah ! I washed all the dishes in the automagic DW by hand, tomorrow I go out and beat clothing on a rock
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Un-reinforced masonry is definitely the building material of choice for such seismically stable areas as the PNW and California.
    that's whats the straw is for..... reinforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    buddy of mine was a lumber trader in Vancover, he told me about buying a truck load just out of Coos bay in Oregon , pays to truck it to Williams lake BC, it sits for 2 months, the market turns around he sells it to a guy in oregon 25 miles from where it was milled which sounds like a huge waste but the customer got his product, my buddy made his % ... everyone was happy

told me about buying a truckload on one phone line and selling it to a guy on the the other phone line
    i thought the american dream was to add no value and take what’s mine off the top

That's the entire world's modern economy at this point.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I think lumber is up more like +150% from precovid. I think they've now come down 40% or so from the top but still out of control
    One of the homebuilders I spk with said the cost of lumber is adding an ave of $16k more in material costs per home right now
    Supply chain issues are a big issue for all trades right now. All costs are skyrocketing.

What a fucked up world.

My zip has gone from 0-2 active listings in August to 15 right now. I extended close to Oct 9 hoping it doesn’t crumble. Buyers seem motivated

I didnt look into it but saw something that said median home price in Bozeman jumped 88k in 1(!!) month.

Even the small town I moved to has been seeing crazy amounts of building and nothing is staying on the market for long. If I had any cash I'd be buying land outta town with trees and water. Then get a chainsaw mill and start cutting lumber to build while hoping my current property kept going up in value.

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    what lumber, where? Cme trades, I think, still
    Primarily, the deliverable species is Western Spruce- Pine-Fir, although other Western species also may be delivered: Hem-Fir, Engelmann Spruce and Lodgepole Pine. Mills must be located in the states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nevada or California, or the Canadian provinces of British Columbia or Alberta.
    theres a fair bit of production from the southern US now for softwood building lumber.

Hardwood lumber isn’t up much, imported exotics are weird, high quality softwoods are flat to down in price.

not a timber person, but a value adding purchaser

And out here there's currently a 6-8 week wait to get trusses delivered. Going to be a lot of houses that get "dried in" while they're still awfully moist inside this year.

Apparently if you have an old house in an expensive (relative to the town) neighborhood, vultures apparently think you’re destitute. I have said “put me on your no call list” seven times in four days. My roboblocker isn’t catching these because they are real local people calling.

Was just walking the dog and noticed this place that closed last month had it’s cabinets go bad or something. For 1.4M and 14 years old - I’d be pissed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6450.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	342072
    Live in a mixed age neighborhood, I’m on the bottom fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    ...I’m on the bottom fyi.
    NTTIAWWT

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Was just walking the dog and noticed this place that closed last month had it’s cabinets go bad or something. For 1.4M and 14 years old - I’d be pissed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6450.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	342072
    Live in a mixed age neighborhood, I’m on the bottom fyi.
    Holy shit that's an architectural nightmare.

This is the mid 2000 boom house here. 3,000 sqft and needs update because it was espresso wood and the stone is outdated. I kinda get it. Who’s going to tell them the windows are next.?
    House probably originally went for 820k in ‘06 then down to about 700k (if someone was selling in that spot at bottom) from a high of 920k on that run. To now doubled in 8-9 years. But another 80k now to make it tits I guess

They definitely have a bitch in the house, judging from the lawn of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Holy shit that's an architectural nightmare.
    It's just about maximizing square footage with setbacks I bet, it's more engineering than architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    They definitely have a bitch in the house, judging from the lawn of course.
    No one moved in yet. Straight to update construction but the yard was dialed in before placed on market. I’ll update if she’s spicy
    Nahh not going out like that