Page 306 of 316 FirstFirst ... 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 ... LastLast
Results 7,626 to 7,650 of 7876
    the difference between eastern wa & idaho geography is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    the difference between eastern wa & idaho geography is minimal.
    Thanks captain obvious. While we're at it, northern South Dakota is not much different than southern North Dakota. CA and NV around Lake Tahoe look very similar too. Seems like a lot of places touching each other are more alike than different.

Yes, flat as a pancake, dry sagebrush, cattle feedlots as far as the eye can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Thanks captain obvious. While we're at it, northern South Dakota is not much different than southern North Dakota. CA and NV around Lake Tahoe look very similar too. Seems like a lot of places touching each other are more alike than different.
    It's been argued here, to me, that eastern Montana is materially different from North Dakota and NoDak is materially different from Western Minnesota. I frankly don't know what is obvious to this circus of assclowns and what isn't and when someones postnig stupid shit that everyone already knows just to sick their own dick like the post Lskier made I responded to and when they aren't. But thanks for jumping down my neck, I can always depend on you to do that, just like jumping down my neck for having the temerity to call CT a shithole.

Just like I don't get why some people here see network effects/clustering for outdoor recreation (where it's imo, a negative mostly) is the greatest thing ever and you should move to Jackson/SummitCo/wherever the fuck, and those same people don't see network effects/clustering as valuable for making money or finding a spouse or making music things which are way more popular with way more people. But that's the tribal vibe that makes this place so stupid and so toxic so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    don't forget to throw in a few extra bucks for life coaching
    One stop shopping just got my life coach degree

Sent from my SM-J737V using TGR Forums mobile app

Is dunfree cracking?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    As someone who has lived in/around both, I would live in the greater SLC area over greater Seattle every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Western Washington blows. Shit weather(and FTR, it isn't the rain that bothers me, it's that there aren't any fucking seasons out here. Three weeks of high pressure doesn't constitute summer, just like 6 months of 50 degrees and drizzly isn't winter by any sane definition. The weather is damn near the same year round; it never gets hot, it never gets cold, it's fucking garbage), criminally overcrowded, regressive state taxes, entitled, aloof residents, shitty drivers, the list goes on.

As far as day-to-day livability goes, it's neck and neck with New Jersey. Congestion is rapidly making this area unlivable, and I have a 4 mile commute. Despite hellish, human-choked reality which confronts everyone who lives here anytime they venture outside the confines of their homes, every planner and city council member across the region is lining up to give a nice sloppy rimjob to any developer who wants to shoehorn more housing into a region that is already critically exceeded its human carrying capacity.

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer," and western Washington has a terminal case.
    It's everywhere, not just Seattle. I left there over 2 years ago after 20 years. It has changed a lot since then. But guess what, 20 years earlier it was changing, and 20 years before that. So has every single metro area. When you get back to SLC, it will have changed too. And it will continue to grow and change. But they have the best snow on Earth, so at least there's that.

And for those that think it's the millenials or gen Z moving to mtn towns, um, no. It's boomers. Lots and lots of retiring boomers....with crap tons of cash. At least the ones I see here in Bend. They are of course driving Tesla's. I thought the East side of Seattle was electric car city. But I see tons of electric cars down here, and of course the Porsche Cayenne and Macan's and the fricking Range Rovers and more Audi Q whatever's than just about anything else. To be sure, there are lots of rednecks and their lifted trucks and monster M/T's that hardly ever see a dirt road except to park at the local parking lot at the hiking/biking trails. Subarus? Please! Those are for the hippies who never stopped smoking dope and never really had a white collar job.

The developers have their hands in the pockets of every single city council member out West. Probably out East, Mid-west and every direction in between. But it sounds like you are close to quitting your day job. Winter is around the corner, and you can at least ski some Cascade concrete. Or not. All the best.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by stradissimo View Post
    My company, which is on the east side, but still “Seattle”, just gave 13 electrical engineers the choice of relocating to Duluth GA (Atlanta exurb) or a severance package. Every single one took the severance. None of them are big time skiers or mountain bikers. They just like living up here with the slugs and snails.
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement given how shitty life in the Atlanta exurbs would be, at least to me. I fucking hate Atlanta. Most people who say they live in Atlanta don't even get to Atlanta more than a few times per year. They spend their lives in interminable traffic going from the suburb where they live to the suburb where they work to another suburb where their kids attend school to another suburb where their kids play soccer...all of which are 40 miles and a 3 hour drive to downtown Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement given how shitty life in the Atlanta exurbs would be, at least to me. I fucking hate Atlanta. Most people who say they live in Atlanta don't even get to Atlanta more than a few times per year. They spend their lives in interminable traffic going from the suburb where they live to the suburb where they work to another suburb where their kids attend school to another suburb where their kids play soccer...all of which are 40 miles and a 3 hour drive to downtown Atlanta.

You just described the Seattle Metro area as well. You never actually get where you're going out here, you get asymptotically closer to your destination as traffic gets worse and worse, and you either keel over from an aneurysm behind the wheel or say "fuck it, I'm going home, I'll order it online." And even if you don't drive, you're still making matters worse by supporting tech companies who haven't done a goddamn thing to make our lives better, despite blowing smoke up our asses constantly to that effect.

Nowhere is perfect, but some areas as less perfect than others.
    Set my compass North, I got Winter in my blood.

Luckily, we have a thread documenting how mountain town living solves these problems

It's funny to hear complaints about Seattle traffic and how it's gotten terrible the last few years. I lived there for 2 years, over 25 years ago, and the traffic was awful then.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

You just described the Seattle Metro area as well.
    He's described pretty much every major metro area in the US.

and they all have shitty traffic in some way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It's funny to hear complaints about Seattle traffic and how it's gotten terrible the last few years. I lived there for 2 years, over 25 years ago, and the traffic was awful then.
    Yep.

And Microsoft was the villain for ruining everything then.

How long have you been here Glade? I can see how the climate might get you down coming from somewhere with radically different weather. I know I couldn't abide the desert or mid west winters and wouldn't try to.

And honestly life is too short to live somewhere you really don't like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Real Estate Crash thread

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It’s a big metro city- always gonna have traffic. Add in the water lock preventing you from turning it into a Phoenix street grid for example. All true. But the traffic has really jumped the last bit. Like a lot. We were the most (or one of) influx states for a couple years.

I stayed in Denver driving thru a month ago. Drove the am commute from S Denver -> north I25 to Wyoming and it’s a noticeably more quick moving flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    And for those that think it's the millenials or gen Z moving to mtn towns, um, no. It's boomers. Lots and lots of retiring boomers....with crap tons of cash.
    That's everywhere too. Or at least anywhere desirable.

Millennials are future boomers.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Yep.

And Microsoft was the villain for ruining everything then.

How long have you been here Glade? I can see how the climate might get you down coming from somewhere with radically different weather. I know I couldn't abide the desert or mid west winters and wouldn't try to.

And honestly life is too short to live somewhere you really don't like.
    And Boeing before that, and commercial fishing before that, and gold fever before that, and of course those fuckheads Lewis & Clark who made it “cool” for people to head west. Fuck those fuckers!

And Don’t get me started on the First Nation people.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Eh, I do enjoy getting hyperbolic when I bitch and moan on here. After all, that's part of the fun of the place. Sometimes ya have to blow off some steam.

Related to potential tech crash
    Can anybody tell me why Facebook needs 40,000 employees? They don’t even provide content..

Let's take it back a step further: why does Facebook need to exist at all?

I don’t like people bagging on my hometown but gotta say I do get a kick out of your thoughts / vocab

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Related to potential tech crash
    Can anybody tell me why Facebook needs 40,000 employees? They don’t even provide content..
    You mean then picking up so much commerical space in Redmond in the last 18 months? I think some of it is related to Oculus but I don't think that can be all of it. Seems to be lots of space that's kind of all over

You just described the Seattle Metro area as well. You never actually get where you're going out here, you get asymptotically closer to your destination as traffic gets worse and worse, and you either keel over from an aneurysm behind the wheel or say "fuck it, I'm going home, I'll order it online." And even if you don't drive, you're still making matters worse by supporting tech companies who haven't done a goddamn thing to make our lives better, despite blowing smoke up our asses constantly to that effect.

Nowhere is perfect, but some areas as less perfect than others.
    Frankly it's gotten pretty intolerable even where I am (though not to Atlanta standards yet). I have just managed to organize my life in such a way that it has little impact on me (3 mile bike commute for the win!).

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Millennials can’t afford a primary residence. How they gonna by a 2nd home?
    Prime ski area real estate markets are supported by the entire planet, not the local millennials. Yea, appreciation may stagnate for a bit in an economic downturn, but everyone wants a piece. 08 saw a tiny dip and several years of very slow appreciation around CO highcountry. But the low-lands are going to continue to get hot and mountains are paradise.

Now, what about places that will cease to be viable ski areas due to climate change like the NE? Or places that will have less reliable and more marginal seasons like Tahoe? I would bet on CO mtn real estate over those places.

What did happen in 08 is new construction froze, remodels dried up, and all my contractor and construction buds who were buying everyone drinks were suddenly hard up. Actually, almost all of that group of friends and acquaintances either moved or switched their line of work over the following 2-3 years. Ironic that now that I have a place, I seem to know way less people who can work on it.

Hey Canada is talking about a 1% tax on foreign RE ownership eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Prime ski area markets are supported by the entire planet.
    yeah, the earth revolves around Aspen and Davos. everyone on the planet doesn't want a piece of your mountain paradise; as climate change reduces the number of feeder regions where people learn to ski the pipeline of people interested in skiing will go down and skiing will decrease. CO might be best of what remains, that's different.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    You mean then picking up so much commerical space in Redmond in the last 18 months? I think some of it is related to Oculus but I don't think that can be all of it. Seems to be lots of space that's kind of all over
    Yes, but, in general. I haven’t worked in the industry or at a company like that before. But when I look at the company from my prism I don’t see how they can support 40k especially with the issues mounting.