Page 885 of 1085 FirstFirst ... 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 ... LastLast
Results 22,101 to 22,125 of 27103
    Only a fool would start or buy a business in a mountain town these days that requires any sort of low wage worker. Either staff it yourself and keep it very small, or forget it.

all the edibles at the dispensary are packaged so you could safely eat the whole package
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I cut 15 mg dummies into fours. I'll even eat a quartered cube in halves spreading out the dosage throughout the full daytime hours. I often don't even realize I'm high but my anxiety is kept at bay. If I eat 15+ mg though......F I'm out and borderline retarded.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Only a fool would start or buy a business in a mountain town these days that requires any sort of low wage worker. Either staff it yourself and keep it very small, or forget it.

Like a food truck parked up on Teton Pass?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I think we went over this, but I approached WYDOT with this proposition in '99, they basically laughed me out of the room. Their response was basically "we want FEWER people to stop on top of the pass, not more...if we could, we wouldn't even allow parking up there". (Or something to that effect).
    You would have to do it illegally (psst...hey you, wanna buy a burrito??"
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Would you name it Teton High?

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    most people who go into business for themselves are fools
    anything is possible but people put up too many barriers to keep themselves from following through and accomplishing something

did I just piss away three hours of a perfectly good summer day working? yes

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Would you name it Teton High?
    Redskin Burgers would be a huge hit.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Redskin Burgers would be a huge hit.
    I believe today they are Commander Burgers

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I believe today they are Commander Burgers
    Twas in reference to Teton High, which is ironically now the Timberwolves. Which local right leaning folks really hate.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think we went over this, but I approached WYDOT with this proposition in '99, they basically laughed me out of the room. Their response was basically "we want FEWER people to stop on top of the pass, not more...if we could, we wouldn't even allow parking up there". (Or something to that effect).
    You would have to do it illegally (psst...hey you, wanna buy a burrito??"
    There ya go then. Burritos and maybe Sonoran dogs out the back of a car trunk or stealthy van living mobile.

Sonoran dogs could go big in some mountain towns up north.

How about a snowcat parked in the bottom of Rock Springs?

I'm not surprised about the FS stance on Teton Pass traffic. It's a shit show those gubment workers would rather not deal with I'm sure.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The rocksprings yurt is underutilized

I could see a good snack shack there.

Ok, I have another idea/question. Is there a good venue in Jackson or another mountain town where you could legally park a food truck and have regular business?

We have one here in flagstaff at our snow tubing park. That place cranks in the winter and there are no food concessions so they have a lot for the local food truck businesses.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Holy shit this thread is going places!

What is on a Sonoran hot dogs?

Layer a schmear of warm refried beans on the bottom of each roll followed by a bacon-wrapped dog. Top with the avocados, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos and a squiggly drizzle of Zesty Mayo. Garnish with some cilantro leaves and serve with your favorite hot sauce.
    I think this is what I'm gonna have for post bike ride dinners this week.

Real Estate Crash thread

they now have food truck nights here in May Park (east jackson) and by Melody ranch
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Holy shit this thread is going places!

I think this is what I'm gonna have for post bike ride dinners this week.
    Dude, they're so good. We do ours with pinto beans, enchilada sauce (red or green), chopped red onion, sour cream, cheese, bacon, salsa and avocado
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    they now have food truck nights here in May Park (east jackson) and by Melody ranch
    In the winter? I'm curious because I wonder if it would be possible to have a sustainable, year round food truck business in a place like JXN that's winter for 80% of the year.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    In the winter? I'm curious because I wonder if it would be possible to have a sustainable, year round food truck business in a place like JXN that's winter for 80% of the year.
    Sure, as long as you live in it.

I'll start charging 85$ for my bec's out of the promaster!^

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    There weren’t really any in town in the winter but Spoons Bistro formerly of Victor had a food truck parked at the Cody lot all winter, which was pretty great.
    skid luxury

As mentioned, it's a multi faceted challenge. This enables us to neatly package it as somebody else's problem. The STRs blame the WFHs, the WFHs blame the local employers wage scale, the local employers blame the Planning and Zoning Commission. The government blames the high cost of constructions. The developers blame the non-existent skilled labor pool.

Its just a fuckin' mountain town. I'm not sure it is too much different any Anytown USA. We got haves and have nots and the divide is getting bigger. You wanna try and create your utopia, lets hear it! Don't forget to let us know how you gonna pay for it.

Slightly OT. We had a bunch of flooding in Montana, it was in all the papers and a lot of people lost their asses.

Watching the news a woman who owns a bunch of STRs was whining that people are cancelling their stays this summer and its hurting her business and she needs the State to step in and help her out.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Yes, yes. The old F the government until my leveraged investment underperforms when the note call comes plea for help. She probably sounded pretty smart to her friends at the local brewery until the flood.

And these folks bitch at insurance prices because the houses are homes, not a business and house insurance is cheaper. Too bad house insurance doesn’t cover business interruption and income when there’s property damage like business insurance does. Capitalism stings sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Watching the news a woman who owns a bunch of STRs was whining that people are cancelling their stays this summer and its hurting her business and she needs the State to step in and help her out.
    She probably received a forgiven PPP Loan too. https://projects.propublica.org/coro...search?q=59715 Blows my mind what some locals around here were given.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Let me guess, puffy vest, yoga pants, concealed muffin top? Is she was half as smart, cool, and hot as she thinks she is....but yeah, perspective and awareness is not something we specialize in here in 'merica.

We had a similar issue during the East Troublesome Fires. STR pimps were actually asking the community to house their displaced vacationers.

So we used to call them "ski bums", now we call "the workforce". The amount of long term rentals available is close to zero in Grand County. They used to be called "landlords" now they are called "investors". Alterra is addressing their labor shortage by basically building a giant dorm up at the ski area.

All other employers could do the same thing, some are. In Winter Park, the business owners have gone a different route. They have convinced the town to pay STR pimps something like $1K per bedroom per month to rent their properties to employees of local business.