Page 516 of 1085 FirstFirst ... 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 ... LastLast
Results 12,876 to 12,900 of 27101
    He's breeding telepathic cyborgs that will be released into the general population to enslave humanity through 5G mind control. The receiver is in the vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    He's breeding telepathic cyborgs that will be released into the general population to enslave humanity through 5G mind control. The receiver is in the vaccine.
    I, for one, welcome our robot overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Name a better hedge on inflation? And don't say gold.

Danno, didn't you do dead tour before buying in Boulder?
    Equities. Why does it have to be complicated? Capitalism has history.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I saw Russell Brand do a youtube about this very thing. He thinks it's more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I saw Russell Brand do a youtube about this very thing. He thinks it's more complicated.
    A co-worker of mine has a buddy that owns around 1k acres of farmland central WA along the Columbia river. He gets a call from someone interested in his land. After some discussions over a period of time, it comes out that the group looking to buy the land is connected with Microsoft. Seems like this RE investment firm was wanting to buy the land for a server farmer. There is already a large server farm in Quincy, WA. Cheap electricity and land.

Out in Prineville, OR, about 45 miles NE of Bend is a huge group of massive server farms. One side of the hwy is Facebook, and on the other side is Apple. They keep expanding and adding hundreds of thousands of sq ft every few years. Again, cheap electricity and land. At night, just open the vents and let the cool air come in and save money on A/C.

But it all comes down to diversification. And maybe on Bill's death bed, he will achieve total enlightenment and will the land back to the original inhabitants of what is currently referred to as the USA?

https://www.farmlandriches.com/bill-gates-farmland/
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Well, given that gates foundation is most good for lowest buck, it might be just "hold, farm and ensure good land stewardship" as a hedge against dustbowling.

Reminds me a little of this stuff around multimillion acre landowners: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/u...-business.html

A lot also likely ties to water rights, as that's going to be an issue in the long term unless major desal capacity comes online.

Friend sent me "The One" house in LA video over the weekend....don't know if its been posted before....kinda sterile and museum-like. Looked the designer/builder up and seems he is in financial trouble and the investors want their money back. Still interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H2xmRseiDw

My wife wants us to sell, to grab the peak of this wave, and rent for a while. I tried to tell her that a bunch of message board experts don't have a consensus of whether this is peaking or not. She didn't buy it.

Some friends of ours sold in late Fall because they thought values were inflated. They rented for a while, and just scored jobs in a mountain town and are moving. So to her, that data point of 1 means we should try to do the same.

The zestimate on that friend's house (that closed in December) has already gone up ~$45,000 since they sold.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Vibes man.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My wife wants us to sell, to grab the peak of this wave, and rent for a while. I tried to tell her that a bunch of message board experts don't have a consensus of whether this is peaking or not. She didn't buy it.

Some friends of ours sold in late Fall because they thought values were inflated. They rented for a while, and just scored jobs in a mountain town and are moving. So to her, that data point of 1 means we should try to do the same.

The zestimate on that friend's house (that closed in December) has already gone up ~$45,000 since they sold.
    Is this the same wife that runs the A/C and furnace during the same 24-hour period?

++vibes, man.

Danno = fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Some friends of ours sold in late Fall because they thought values were inflated. They rented for a while, and just scored jobs in a mountain town and are moving. So to her, that data point of 1 means we should try to do the same..
    Don't tell her how I was jobless, sold out in 07 moved to he mountains, RE crashes 1 month later, drink beer / smoke/ ski forget to reinvest the money, miss the stock market crash, get back in RE 5 yrs later during a downturn

i like to point out my investment strategy was entirely arbitrary

I was just chasing tail/ skiing/ beer/ dope and my decisions lacked any merit

other than it worked
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Danno = fucked.
    I don’t know, sounds like he is being given a great way to get out of Boulder, but I guess he likes it there.
    I have a few friends who have attempted this strategy with varying levels of success.

That seems like a really backasswards way to go about that live transition. Why wouldn't you try and secure the jobs in the mountains first, then go about juggling the real estate? Whats a rental you need in the Repuklic gonna cost, $3K/month? Thats $36K a year gone while you pay no principal, are tax disadvantaged, and you have to move (possibly twice) based on non-factual speculation in a market that has historicals weathers down turns pretty well?

Sounds like a plan! May as well just start throwing $20s out the window while the heat is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Sounds like a plan! May as well just start throwing $20s out the window while the heat is on.
    That makes zero sense, come on. At least burn them in your Solo(TM) stove on the patio.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Friend sent me "The One" house in LA video over the weekend....don't know if its been posted before....kinda sterile and museum-like. Looked the designer/builder up and seems he is in financial trouble and the investors want their money back. Still interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H2xmRseiDw
    Well that's...large. I'm sure some sheik will buy that as their LA compound. If I had that coin I'd rather buy an island and a ski resort.
    BTW, an Indian billionaires house is bigger/more expensive. It's basically a private skyscraper: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antilia_(building)
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

That seems like a really backasswards way to go about that live transition. Why wouldn't you try and secure the jobs in the mountains first, then go about juggling the real estate? Whats a rental you need in the Repuklic gonna cost, $3K/month? Thats $36K a year gone while you pay no principal, are tax disadvantaged, and you have to move (possibly twice) based on non-factual speculation in a market that has historicals weathers down turns pretty well?

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 539
Size:  1,019.5 KB
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

YOLO and FOMO all wrapped into one. Go for it, and remember to invest the capital gains into BTC.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I am not a fan of your wife's idea as you will be throwing rent dollars in the toilet for how long before the market crashes? I don't know about your area but getting a rental around here is expensive with limited properties to choose from.

And some food for thought: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/im...?siteid=yhoof2
    Last edited by liv2ski; 04-12-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I agree overall but, not really sure where the tax disadvantage would be though.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I am not a fan of your wife's idea as you will be throwing rent dollars in the toilet for how long before the market crashes? I don't know about your area but getting a rental around here is expensive with limited properties to choose from.
    Not to mention the fact that selling your house and buying a new house can cost a lot of money in the long run. 6% to an agent, transfer fees etc.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I don't know about your area but getting a rental around here is expensive with limited properties to choose from.
    Not to mention hard as hell to qualify for. Especially with a dog. Just talked to a colleague who is trying to rent a house in Austin. She said it's about as tough as getting a mortgage these days. She even offered to pay the entire lease amount, cash, up front. Apparently there's a rental applicant list a mile long so it's getting brutal out there even to find a rental depending on where you are, and landlords are getting ultra-picky as I suppose they can be these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I agree overall but, not really sure where the tax disadvantage would be though.
    Home Mortgage Interest Deduction for most no?

Home Mortgage Interest Deduction for most no?

Pretty much a thing of the past for most thanks to SALT being limited to $10,000 by Tax Act of 2017. Of course Danno could keep his current home, and rent it out instead turning mtge interest and repairs into deductible expenses. This turns into leveraged investing(albeit at extraordinarily cheap rates) where they are borrowing to speculate on the real estate market.

Renting sucks big time and imho a purchased home is a place to live first and foremost. Making money on homes hasn't really worked out for me in the long run. The ROI has been pretty low over 29 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Pretty much a thing of the past for most thanks to SALT being limited to $10,000 by Tax Act of 2017. Of course Danno could keep his current home, and rent it out instead turning mtge interest and repairs into deductible expenses. This turns into leveraged investing(albeit at extraordinarily cheap rates) where they are borrowing to speculate on the real estate market.

Renting sucks big time and imho a purchased home is a place to live first and foremost. Making money on homes hasn't really worked out for me in the long run. The ROI has been pretty low over 29 years now.
    SALT (state and local taxes) is limited to 10k. You can still beat the standard deduction with interest paid, right? Which is what FG was asking?