Page 555 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 ... LastLast
Results 13,851 to 13,875 of 26884
    Let's face it, gents, a million bucks ain't what it used to be.

By a lot of those definitions I'm rich. And I dig it. I think maybe a good line to draw is rich vs wealthy. Wealthy is sustainable without having to work. Rich is you made or inherited some money but if you make a bad choice, quit working, have some bad luck, you might not be rich anymore. Danno, you have a few contradictory statements. You said being rich means you can buy a new car with cash but then went on to say being able to pass down $50-100k for a kids down payment doesn't make you rich. Confusing. Ultimately, I don't care how you define it.

I'll stand by Glade saying the US is a shithole and we should sterilize rich people while getting help from his family to buy a house is cunty.

But really posting on this here ski forum, I'm going with a SFB quote-"Face shots are a powerful currency, get paid."

Fred-I'm about two hours of dealing with the man then it's party like a rich kid time. I'm going to burn one down, hop on my sweet ass carbon bike and get a ride from the house, then I'm going to ride downtown to the pub and buy some pints for charity, then load the van up to get out of town for the weekend. Not sure where that puts me but it's well into the top 50%ers. Because it seems you're either rich or poor these days.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Since we're all so distracted, I think getting in a bidding war for a $135 million dollar ranch counts as rich.
    But what if their parents helped with the down payment? Does that mean they aren't rich any more?

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    By a lot of those definitions I'm rich. And I dig it. I think maybe a good line to draw is rich vs wealthy. Wealthy is sustainable without having to work. Rich is you made or inherited some money but if you make a bad choice, quit working, have some bad luck, you might not be rich anymore. Danno, you have a few contradictory statements. You said being rich means you can buy a new car with cash but then went on to say being able to pass down $50-100k for a kids down payment doesn't make you rich. Confusing. Ultimately, I don't care how you define it.

I'll stand by Glade saying the US is a shithole and we should sterilize rich people while getting help from his family to buy a house is cunty.

But really posting on this here ski forum, I'm going with a SFB quote-"Face shots are a powerful currency, get paid."

Fred-I'm about two hours of dealing with the man then it's party like a rich kid time. I'm going to burn one down, hop on my sweet ass carbon bike and get a ride from the house, then I'm going to ride downtown to the pub and buy some pints for charity, then load the van up to get out of town for the weekend. Not sure where that puts me but it's well into the top 50%ers. Because it seems you're either rich or poor these days.
    If you're a capable professional that's had some luck and made good moves, good chance you're in the top tier once you're 40+. That's not a bad thing! It likely means there's some level of meritocracy still out there in terms of work hard/get paid. It isn't shameful to have money. Just don't pretend like you don't have capital power well in excess of 90%+ of the population. The old money/super rich are another dimension entirely, but there aren't that many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

LOL. Ain't that the truth. If you have to ask how much it costs, you just want to know how much it costs because some noodnick forgot to put the price tag on it. Whether you can afford it, is an entirely different matter.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

By a lot of those definitions I'm rich. And I dig it. I think maybe a good line to draw is rich vs wealthy. Wealthy is sustainable without having to work. Rich is you made or inherited some money but if you make a bad choice, quit working, have some bad luck, you might not be rich anymore. Danno, you have a few contradictory statements. You said being rich means you can buy a new car with cash but then went on to say being able to pass down $50-100k for a kids down payment doesn't make you rich. Confusing.
    Contradictions on the TRGs? Unpossible. In any event, I was just throwing shit out there about a mindset. Someone who can walk in and slap 50 grand down on a new car without batting an eye is different than someone who throws 50 grand to their kid for a down payment. But I'll own the contradiction.

Ultimately, I don't care how you define it.
    Oh, my bad. Should have kept reading.

Personally, I think saying the US is a shithole and we should sterilize rich people is cunty, full stop. Has nothing to do with getting help from his family, that's pretty much irrelevant to me; maybe tone deaf, but it doesn't mean he's rich and it isn't what makes his statement cunty.

Can't argue with that. And I definitely don't get paid enough.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Rockefeller purchases for GTNP were $1.5 million or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Someone who can walk in and slap 50 grand down on a new car without batting an eye is different than someone who throws 50 grand to their kid for a down payment. But I'll own the contradiction.

Why is that different in your view?

Also, for those here who have extra disposable cash they'd like to unload, send it my way. I just committed to buying a new truck that'll be about $55K. Goddammit.

P. S. You can adopt me if you'd like to gift me 50 grand.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I would sacrifice $50k to help my kid buy a home over buying myself a car, cuz I ain't wealthy, just equity well off and equity means nothing to me. If the market tanked 50% tomorrow, I would be good with that, so my kids could afford nicer places than they can today.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Why is that different in your view?
    Because whether I feel I am flush enough with cash to plunk it down on a "luxury" (since one doesn't have to buy a $50k car to have reliable/comfortable transport), especially a depreciating asset, seems quite different from using that same amount of money to help my kid buy something that is not a luxury (yes, I realize one could argue that it is but permanent housing is different), is not inherently a depreciating asset, and may in fact help my kid move along the path to life success. One feels like being a baller, and the other feels like being a good parent.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Regardless, I don't have $50k to plunk down on a new car or a down payment on my kid's house (nor does she need it, she's 10).

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    If we want to argue semantics I'd argue that the 10% person isn't throwing 10% of their life's work (in terms of wealth) at their kid at any point other than possibly when they die.
    Really? A 65 yr old retiree on pension and SS who owns outright a small place in a town with a lower cost of living wouldnt toss their kid 10% of their net worth to help their kids family afford a house in a nicer neighborhood with good schools? I know i sure as shit would if i was that 65 yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Ive eaten some rich pussy inmy life it definately tastes better when there is five million in the bank to back it up
    Too much bickering in this thread for this to go unnoticed.

Thanks for the laugh, FF.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

My kids are gettin' university. That's it. After that, they are OFF THE PAYROLL.

Maybe they can convince their gramma to help them with the house crap.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Really? A 65 yr old retiree on pension and SS who owns outright a small place in a town with a lower cost of living wouldnt toss their kid 10% of their net worth to help their kids family afford a house in a nicer neighborhood with good schools? I know i sure as shit would if i was that 65 yr old.
    You realize pensions have a value right? So in your example, that retiree is giving their kid much much less than 10% of their net worth. Someone with a pension, social security, and a million bucks in the bank is not just worth a million, several times over that actually.

Another great example of how most of this board has zero idea how most of this country fares economically. But yeah, keep on keeping on with the examples of multimillionaires just being regular guys amiright?
    Live Free or Die

My kids are gettin' university. That's it. After that, they are OFF THE PAYROLL.

Maybe they can convince their gramma to help them with the house crap.

I told my girls we would pay for college and help with the house purchase, but not a fancy ass wedding for them and a practice husband. We all have priorities. And you guys with youngsters, start saving your money.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Because whether I feel I am flush enough with cash to plunk it down on a "luxury" (since one doesn't have to buy a $50k car to have reliable/comfortable transport), especially a depreciating asset, seems quite different from using that same amount of money to help my kid buy something that is not a luxury (yes, I realize one could argue that it is but permanent housing is different), is not inherently a depreciating asset, and may in fact help my kid move along the path to life success. One feels like being a baller, and the other feels like being a good parent.
    Right. I'm not making any kind of value judgement on the practice, or wading into this cesspool of a discussion on how it defines your economic status, but there's a clearly a huge difference between these two types of gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I told my girls we would pay for college and help with the house purchase,
    Well, of course you did - because you're rich.

Personally, I think saying the US is a shithole and we should sterilize rich people is cunty, full stop. Has nothing to do with getting help from his family, that's pretty much irrelevant to me; maybe tone deaf, but it doesn't mean he's rich and it isn't what makes his statement cunty.

Sure it does. Unless his family moved from another country bringing their wealth with them, they live in a country where they were able to generate wealth and pass that wealth onto the next generation-yeah, fuck the US right? Maybe they could have done that in any other country but it's not like the US didn't allow them to make money or realize gains on real estate and pass those gains onto future generations. It's like making a cunt cake topped in dooshy glazed frosting. Whether or not that passing of wealth makes him rich, I guess we can debate the definition of "rich" rest of the day. When a third of the country doesn't own their primary residence and half the country can't write a check for $1,000 in an emergency, I would put that on the richer side of poor and certainly tone deaf.

More on real estate, the apartments across the street were listed yesterday for $1.8m. 10 small units on about .25 acres. Five separate California plate cars showed up for the open house. Didn't see any locals. Will be a nice little investment property for a rich out of state investor. I'm sure rent won't go up for anyone living there.

Well, of course you did - because you're rich.

When I was a kid, we thought ‘rich’ were people who didn’t have to buy the discount cereal in bags. They actually bought the fancy-pants name brand stuff in boxes.
    And they went to restaurants more than once a month.
    And didn’t water down the dish soap to make it go farther.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    You realize pensions have a value right? So in your example, that retiree is giving their kid much much less than 10% of their net worth. Someone with a pension, social security, and a million bucks in the bank is not just worth a million, several times over that actually.

Another great example of how most of this board has zero idea how most of this country fares economically. But yeah, keep on keeping on with the examples of multimillionaires just being regular guys amiright?
    Damn, so the average government pension collector is nearly a millionaire without any other assets by your calculation. Easily over a millionaire if you are counting their SS checks as well, which you would have to in order to be consistent in your fucked up Net Worth calculation. Also would need to factor in all future wages from part time jobs that many retirees hold down too. I mean hell, while we are at it, lets add in the cost of government supplied health insurance too!

Point is, it is not outrageous to think that someone with a $1mil net worth would be OK with a $900k net worth if they were able to give their kids and grandkids a better opportunity at a better life through helping them purchase a home in a nice area with good schools.

who knew all the retired teachers and cops and firefighters, living off their pensions, were baller rich millionaires!

Personally, I think saying the US is a shithole and we should sterilize rich people is cunty, full stop.
    I'll stand by those statements until the day I die. Better to be a cunt with a true-bearing ethical compass than whatever it is that the detestable "people" (and I use that term loosely, most of you are subhuman in my mind) who populate this place call themselves.

who knew all the retired teachers and cops and firefighters, living off their pensions, were baller rich millionaires!
    i had no idea my grandpa was ballin so hard off his USPS pension. Shredded calves and million dollar net worth garaunteed!