Page 531 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 ... LastLast
Results 13,251 to 13,275 of 26884
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    https://www.hcn.org/articles/water-a...sts-water-wars

The Southern Nevada Water Authority estimates that the Las Vegas metropolitan area has eight square miles of “nonfunctional turf” – grass that no one ever walks on except the person who cuts it. Removing it would reduce the region’s water consumption by 15%.
    Much of LA has the same water source. Colorado River

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    This story is both a hilarious parody of the tech industry, and a sad state of affairs for any sucker they catch.

Disrupting real estate with timeshares!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/skyrocket...113203301.html
    Art Shirk should be their General Counsel.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/water-a...sts-water-wars

The Southern Nevada Water Authority estimates that the Las Vegas metropolitan area has eight square miles of “nonfunctional turf” – grass that no one ever walks on except the person who cuts it. Removing it would reduce the region’s water consumption by 15%.
    Las Vegas and similar places should start taxing grass by the square foot and provide tax credits with the money for putting in hardscape / low water use landscaping.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Las Vegas and similar places should start taxing grass by the square foot and provide tax credits with the money for putting in hardscape / low water use landscaping.
    In simple terms, most water districts have not figured out how to monetize conservation. They need water consumption to pay the bills. The small district for which I'm treasurer does a bit better. We allow 25K gallons per residence per quarter at a flat fee. But for reference, my house (family of 2) used 2K and we don't do anything special to conserve. We have AirBnBs than can use up to 1K a day (I think). Activity like 20 showers per day etc.

Hopefully, we are going to go, as a County, on restrictions this summer. Our drought plan calls for terminating irrigation rights for backyard grass and increasing our overage fees. People will bitch. We will see what Denver Water and Northern do down in the front range.

In other news, I believe this in the last hurdle for Chimney Hollow https://coloradosun.com/2021/04/21/c...nd-settlement/

The way I understand it, the large front range water diverters have plenty of water rights from way back. They just need more buckets and tunnels to take the water. Currently, they don't get to divert all the water they own because of infrastructure limitations.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    In simple terms, most water districts have not figured out how to monetize conservation. They need water consumption to pay the bills. The small district for which I'm treasurer does a bit better. We allow 25K gallons per residence per quarter at a flat fee. But for reference, my house (family of 2) used 2K and we don't do anything special to conserve. We have AirBnBs than can use up to 1K a day (I think). Activity like 20 showers per day etc.

Hopefully, we are going to go, as a County, on restrictions this summer. Our drought plan calls for terminating irrigation rights for backyard grass and increasing our overage fees. People will bitch. We will see what Denver Water and Northern do down in the front range.
    hows that gonna work?
    seems to me if you take or terminate irragation rights and piss people off
    there will be litigation
    which costs $$$ in my experience
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    hows that gonna work?
    seems to me if you take or terminate irragation rights and piss people off
    there will be litigation
    which costs $$$ in my experience
    It is part of the Colorado River Drought Contingency Plan. Basically, once the owners of the water agree to collectively restrict usage, the homeowners of a water district don't have much recourse. They don't have any water rights legally speaking, the district does...or at least that's how the Water Buffalo explained it.

That's why charging on pure consumption vs. a set quota is better. Use less water, pay less money.

It is part of the Colorado River Drought Contingency Plan. Basically, once the owners of the water agree to collectively restrict usage, the homeowners of a water district don't have much recourse. They don't have any water rights legally speaking, the district does...or at least that's how the Water Buffalo explained it.
    Yeah, I've definitely seen water restrictions here in the past and I wouldn't be surprised to see them this summer given the extremely dry summer in '20 and sitting at like 70% snowpack currently. Already heard of some wells getting dry last month. Need a big monsoon this summer.

Well, it's a start toward reality. Maybe another half million dollar price drop and they might get some offers.

https://www.redfin.com/OR/Bend/63270...9udW1iZXI9MA==
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Yeah, I've definitely seen water restrictions here in the past and I wouldn't be surprised to see them this summer given the extremely dry summer in '20 and sitting at like 70% snowpack currently. Already heard of some wells getting dry last month. Need a big monsoon this summer.
    Maybe just an atmospheric river would do. Or, better yet, a series of moist cold fronts that drop a few feet of snow.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The median sale price of an existing home in the U.S. was $313,000 in February, up nearly 16 percent from a year earlier, when a 3 to 5 percent annual increase is considered healthy.

Nationwide, housing inventory was at a record-low 1.03 million units at the end of February, down 29.5 percent from a year earlier, a record decline.

Homes sold in an average of 20 days, a record speed, when 60 days is typical.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/22/r...smid=url-share

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    The median sale price of an existing home in the U.S. was $313,000 in February, up nearly 16 percent from a year earlier, when a 3 to 5 percent annual increase is considered healthy.

Nationwide, housing inventory was at a record-low 1.03 million units at the end of February, down 29.5 percent from a year earlier, a record decline.

That's insane.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post

Just talked to a co-worker who is based in Boise. He moved from Central CA. They are renting while they have a home built. There cost when done will be about $560k for a 2000 sq ft home. The builder said he would buy them out. Buddy said, thanks but no. They could probably sell it for over $700k, maybe even $750k. Houses a year ago in their neighborhood where their house is being built were going for about $500k.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Just talked to a co-worker who is based in Boise. He moved from Central CA. They are renting while they have a home built. There cost when done will be about $560k for a 2000 sq ft home. The builder said he would buy them out. Buddy said, thanks but no. They could probably sell it for over $700k, maybe even $750k. Houses a year ago in their neighborhood where their house is being built were going for about $500k.
    And in 2009, you could have picked up a foreclosure for pocket change.

And in 2009, you could have picked up a foreclosure for pocket change.
    ha! My aunt and uncle picked up a foreclosure here in Bend back in 2010 for a song. It's now worth about 300% more.

This could be my neighborhood as well. When I bought my foreclosure house in 2013 the 3/2 ~1800sf houses here were going for around $300-350k. The last few remaining vacant lots are now being built on (specs, around 2500sf) and they are going for $900k+. On one of them they just raised the price (again) by $20k because why not?

Look at this lunacy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-04-22 09-12-41.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	372403
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

was in boise 20 something years ago and didn't know what the appeal was then
    can't imagine it being any different than denver an over hyped mid west city built on a grid pattern?

and the lack of water is all made up if it was a seriously problem why does everyone have irrigated turf grass? blows my mind absolutely stupid in a place like vegas or the front range even stupider that people are putting in irrigated "lawns" at 9,000 ft where I live wtf????? ain't natural and there is no reason for it

Or it isn't made up, but rich assholes think it's someone else's problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    can't imagine it being any different than denver an over hyped mid west city built on a grid pattern?
    That’s exactly what I though of Boise. Midwestern town.

ha! My aunt and uncle picked up a foreclosure here in Bend back in 2010 for a song. It's now worth about 300% more.
    Yeah. To go back in time to Florida, Reno, and, yeah, Boise. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    was in boise 20 something years ago and didn't know what the appeal was then

and the lack of water is all made up if it was a seriously problem why does everyone have irrigated turf grass? blows my mind absolutely stupid in a place like vegas or the front range even stupider that people are putting in irrigated "lawns" at 9,000 ft where I live wtf????? ain't natural and there is no reason for it
    At one point Boise was a nice, mellow, low key, low cost place to raise a family. My brother came close to pulling the trigger to move their for a job in the banking industry about 20 years ago. I think he regrets staying in Portland and not moving.

In terms of water irrigation of those big lawns, it looks like Vegas is trying to get away from that. Better late than never, but it is not a big enough step, IMO.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...ss-grass-water

Las Vegas went a record 240 days without measurable rainfall last year. Water officials in the dry region, according to reports, are now asking the Nevada Legislature for a first-in-the-nation policy banning grass that nobody walks on.

The Southern Nevada Water Authority estimates there are almost 8 square miles of "nonfunctional turf" in the metro area – grass that no one ever walks on or otherwise uses in street medians, housing developments and office parks.

They say this ornamental grass requires four times as much water as drought-tolerant landscaping like cactus and other succulents. By ripping it out, they estimate the region can reduce annual water consumption by roughly 15% and save about 14 gallons per person per day.

Lack of water in the west is a great problem, it's job security for me!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

At one point Boise was a nice, mellow, low key, low cost place to raise a family. My brother came close to pulling the trigger to move their for a job in the banking industry about 20 years ago. I think he regrets staying in Portland and not moving.

In terms of water irrigation of those big lawns, it looks like Vegas is trying to get away from that. Better late than never, but it is not a big enough step, IMO.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...ss-grass-water
    Well, ok, then there's the golf courses, fountains, pools, and massive hotels sucking away at the Colorado to fuel every vice known to man.

Well, ok, then there's the golf courses, fountains, pools, and massive hotels sucking away at the Colorado to fuel every vice known to man.
    Fortunately, all the alcohol consumed in Vegas comes from somewhere else. So need to tap the water for that function. But yeah, the amount of water used for fountains and golf courses in Vegas is crazy.