Page 510 of 1084 FirstFirst ... 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 ... LastLast
Results 12,726 to 12,750 of 27076
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Mrs Hatch's team found out an employee was working remotely from Iraq the past year. That was a problem.
    That's an extreme example, but for most companies, "Work From Home" will not mean "Work From Anywhere"
    Just curious, but what are the problems in that type of situation?

I'd like to do some remote work from places like Tuscany, the Alps, and the Canadian Rockies... so I'm gathering information.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Mrs Hatch's team found out an employee was working remotely from Iraq the past year. That was a problem.
    That's an extreme example, but for most companies, "Work From Home" will not mean "Work From Anywhere"
    A family friend's friend moved to Spain without telling anyone at work, just adjusted their schedule to call in for meetings when needed. I forgot how it became an issue, I think something simple like a lunch/dinner they were asked to attend with a week's notice.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

I'd like to do some remote work from places like Tuscany, the Alps, and the Canadian Rockies... so I'm gathering information.
    Taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Real Estate Crash thread

Among other things, taxes, employment law, etc. Looking to hire our first person to work remotely from just a different state. HR is not amused (they’ll get over it). I should tell them I’m looking to hire somebody who is international, and use the out of state candidate as a fallback just to realign their perspective a bit.
    focus.

Well, there's the time difference thingy. If you are in the Alps, you can get your morning ski tour and/or lift served in with no stress. If your HQ is WC based, then you will become a night owl, and probably be too tired to ski in the morning when you are just shutting down your computer.

Wife worked with both Asia and Europe. So either it was a late evening conf. call with Hong Kong or an early morning call with Lausanne or Amsterdam.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I think there are tax/insurance/etc implications if employed in one country but primarily residing and working in another. Several international companies I've dealt with directly employ staff from smaller, regional offices instead of the mothership.

Edit: Covered in posts above.

Insurance, taxes, and employment law varies by state. It can be a pain. International especially. Liability, work comp, and health insurance to name a few. Not insurmountable but many insurance companies are not filed in certain states so there is some admin headache and cost of switching policies to accommodate new states or when the out of state employee starts complaining that a regional plan has 0 in network docs where the employee lives. Many states are cracking down on calling employees 1099s so that loophole is also going away for many employers.

There has been a lot of overlooking going on for WFH for Covid but as things calm down, that is changing.

I'm hoping to be able to remain full remote, but I would remain in state so I don't think that piece would be a problem.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Good info, all... wouldn't be "residing" in any of these places - likely be 3-6 month stints with most time spent "home."

I suppose I should talk to my HR about it initially...

Staying in state is generally pretty easy. Moving states can be tricky.

skared-some states have time and industry requirements, WA for example. Depending on industry and how long you'll be working in the state, your employer may have to purchase a WA work comp policy. Generally there is not additional cost, just admin and AP time to set it up. Other states are similar. Also check your health insurance if that is something important to you. Who knows, your employer may already have employees there and then it's really easy but I'm sure HR will bitch anyway. They typically do.

And man, that Michigan zillow house Mustonen posted is cool. That's easily a $1m house in certain neighborhoods here. Cause I was on zillow I checked my house. Up 10% in the last 30 days if you can trust zillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Staying in state is generally pretty easy. Moving states can be tricky.

skared-some states have time and industry requirements, WA for example. Depending on industry and how long you'll be working in the state, your employer may have to purchase a WA work comp policy. Generally there is not additional cost, just admin and AP time to set it up. Other states are similar. Also check your health insurance if that is something important to you. Who knows, your employer may already have employees there and then it's really easy but I'm sure HR will bitch anyway. They typically do.

And man, that Michigan zillow house Mustonen posted is cool. That's easily a $1m house in certain neighborhoods here. Cause I was on zillow I checked my house. Up 10% in the last 30 days if you can trust zillow.
    We do have employees basically all over the place - including Canada, a lot of Europe, etc... maybe that'll make thing more possible.

my house went up something like $50k in the last 30 days, wtf.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Security was #1 - taxes & employment law were peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    my house went up something like $50k in the last 30 days, wtf.
    Time to sell and move to Texas and reap the rewards.

I want a bunch of So Californians to move to Texas.

junior is working in Texas but he doesnt actually have to live there amongst Texans for the win

he did like the scene in Austin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Good info, all... wouldn't be "residing" in any of these places - likely be 3-6 month stints with most time spent "home."

I suppose I should talk to my HR about it initially...
    If it's just vacation you probably won't have an issue. I spent a month working from BC in 2019 and a month from Scotland in 2018 and have coworkers that regularly do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    If it's just vacation you probably won't have an issue. I spent a month working from BC in 2019 and a month from Scotland in 2018 and have coworkers that regularly do the same.
    That's what I'm thinking... at what point in time do complications arise?

I was just looking a Craigslist to see what rentals were doing where I own and there were none available???? I have never seen that before. What was available a few miles away was pretty damn expensive. I would hate to have to move these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post

Here’s a house that just popped up. Crazy how much prices have gone up....easily 30-50% more than this house would have been listed for a year ago. This market is absurd.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...06473922_zpid/
    Damn. Here's what you could get with that money in Ogden: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11997514_zpid/

Real Estate Crash thread

That's what I'm thinking... at what point in time do complications arise?
    I’d first check any WFH or telework policies your company has. If there are none or they don’t address where or how you work just do it for a few weeks and play ignorant / ask forgiveness later If it’s an issue.

Although you may come off as a dick trying to keep it a secret if your boss finds out.

Also keep in mind connectivity/bandwidth issues you may run into in another country especially if your expected to video conference. Tethering to your cell may be pricey. Myanmar wouldn’t be great to work from right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Time to sell and move to Texas and reap the rewards.

Everything's bigger in Texas. Then you go to Alaska, and realize how small everything is in Texas.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

My company has let us know there are tax problems for them if we're outside the US. So...go quietly for a week or two and don't tell anyone. Iraq in particular is under embargo (I think?), so probably even more serious issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Damn. Here's what you could get with that money in Ogden: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11997514_zpid/
    Spend $25k to upgrade the kitchen and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I've apparently been reading this thread to much, because all I can think of when looking at that house is it would cost at least double the 265k to build that today.
    Yeah, one thing I don't understand is how sometimes I'll be looking at houses in cheaper areas like the Midwest and there will be a house that's obviously a flip selling for like $200k when other houses in the neighborhood are selling for $150k or whatever. How is it worthwhile to do 3-6 months of remodeling for $50k?