Page 232 of 1085 FirstFirst ... 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,800 of 27108
    Holy crap! If Edwards & Avon are on the "outer edge of the I-70 cluster fuck" then I really must be a country bumpkin! I've been doing some work for the last few years in Arrowhead so I've gotten to learn living in that zone. Fuck me if Riverwalk and the two roundabouts in Avon are what is considered a town. It reminds me of "Resort Communities" in Florida. It'll all lily white gated developments and trailer park immigrant barrios.

If you like $14 sandwiches, $70K SUVs and more golf shirts and yoga pants than Cherry Creek, you'll fit right in. Down Valley Eagle County would be an awesome place if it weren't for the people and the development. It's got too much of a "have" vs. "have not" vibe. Too much new money posturing. Give me Aspen and those comfortable and used to their wealth any day.

Of course, different strokes for different folk. Colorado must be great, millions of people can't be wrong. Our "Ski Towns" are just becoming collateral damage. CB and T-Ride are about as much of on Olde West Town as Wall Drug. You want real Colorado try Walden, Meeker, Delta, Lake City, Kremmling etc.

Of course, I'm part of the problem. I'm drinking from the faucet that is the city money dripping out of your wallet onto your "mountain casual" khakis and boat shoes. But hey...the writing in on the wall. The dirty carhartts, Banquet Beer, one tons, ranching families, school teachers, ski patrollers and all other representations of mountain trash will flow down valley. When the next bust comes, we'll still be rodeo-in', huntin', listening to country music, playing with the pups and enjoying everything that comes with hard work, -20 degree mornings, clean mountain air and a true sense of community when the rest are chased back to the cube by the pull of the city.

Be carefull what you wish for. Listen to Rasta Stevie. Are you moving to the mountains for what is here or what you want it to be?

Now that's a real mountain man rant. You must be a Native™

I, for one, like yoga pants. I remember a time when women wore stretch pants on the hill. Its like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Of course, different strokes for different folk. Colorado must be great, millions of people can't be wrong. Our "Ski Towns" are just becoming collateral damage. CB and T-Ride are about as much of on Olde West Town as Wall Drug. You want real Colorado try Walden, Meeker, Delta, Lake City, Kremmling etc.
    Are you moving to the mountains for what is here or what you want it to be?
    Was that rant at me??? To answer the last question I would move their because of what it has to offer. If it was up to me, CB has the natural beauty and conveniences I am looking for. Temps seem perfect, if this week is any indication of what to expect in summer and a mountain challenging enough to keep my jong ass trying to get better forever. Looking at the pictures of the area, well I don't think you will find a much more beautiful spot anywhere, BUT the winters may be to much for the misses.

I would like a place 180 degrees different than where I live now. In CO, that is a town with more of a Western feel, in Yurp that would be more of a 15th century feel. Either would be awesome for the few years we would be there.

I certainly don't want to be slumming it with the unwashed masses in retirement. We have worked hard for a long time to have a comfortable life for the last 20 or so years we may get, so don't get pissed that we want some creature comforts to go with the beauty of the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You're making my point for me. The concept of yoga pants is, of course, brilliant. They are one of the modern world's greatest inventions along with fat skis and helicopters. Problem is you don't get "yoga pants and hot chicks" in a vacuum. You gotta take everything that comes with it.

I'll take the real chick who knows how to back a trailer with shit on her Ariats any day.

Real Estate Crash thread

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Was that rant at me??? To answer the last question I would move their because of what it has to offer. If it was up to me, CB has the natural beauty and conveniences I am looking for. Temps seem perfect, if this week is any indication of what to expect in summer and a mountain challenging enough to keep my jong ass trying to get better forever. Looking at the pictures of the area, well I don't think you will find a much more beautiful spot anywhere, BUT the winters may be to much for the misses.

I would like a place 180 degrees different than where I live now. In CO, that is a town with more of a Western feel, in Yurp that would be more of a 15th century feel. Either would be awesome for the few years we would be there.

I certainly don't want to be slumming it with the unwashed masses in retirement. We have worked hard for a long time to have a comfortable life for the last 20 or so years we may get, so don't get pissed that we want some creature comforts to go with the beauty of the area.
    The problem with crested butte is that the mountain is quite small, especially when the extremes are closed, and they don't get a ton of snow. The town is pretty small too, with not much going on, but some people like that I suppose.

Overall I would probably pick Aspen or teluride before the butte, but that is just me. Both of those places have more options, skiing wise, and also more of a town that doesn't feel so isolated. Aspen gets more snow too

Telluride is less isolated than CB? Have you been to Telluride?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Listen, I'm not ranting at anyone. We are all free to make our decisions. I'm just giving you my $.02 from the perspective of someone who has been working on making a life for myself in a Colorado mountain town with a tourism and real estate driven economy for over 20 years.

You and your wife may love it and I hope you do. That said, the realities of living somewhere like Crested Butte are a lot different than what is in the brochure. No need to take my word for it, go visit or at least get in touch with Goldenboy. He's a real estate agent that lives there.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Listen, I'm not ranting at anyone.
    Now that's funny.

My problem with resort towns like Telluride is they're not "real" towns, in that they exist in very large part because of the ski resort. Maybe it's changed, but I recall going to Telluride on May 1 some years ago, and there was one restaurant that was open. One.

It's why I mentioned steamboat, because at least the town doesn't entirely close when the mountain does.

My choice would be a place where lots of people have jobs unrelated to the resort, like Durango. But everyone has different criteria, some might want the immersive ski resort life.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Now that's funny.
    Said another way, I'm ranting at everyone. Change is inevitable and I've either been lucky or smart enough to have benefited financially from it. Everyone places their own best interests first and I don't fault them for it.

You may think I have a negative stereotype of tourists, second home owners, developers, politicians, wealthy retirees and the rest. That couldn't be farther from the truth. There are assholes from everywhere. I don't judge the book by the cover. I form my opinions on humans one at a time.

There are really only two thinks that bug me. One, is people who think that the change they are responsible for is making the community better and everyone should be thankful for their work and indebted to them. Don't make yourself bigger that you are. Plenty of people loved this town when there was one stop light and you had to drive to Denver to buy socks. We don't give two shits about the Starbucks or the restaurants that cost $150 for dinner for my wife and I.

The second is people who have no respect for the concept that people actually live here and the the function of this community may be something greater than providing services to tourists not willing to pay for them. There is no garbage fairy coming into the woods on Monday morning to pick up your garbage. Some people actually have to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday. That $500 increase in annual HOA dues is real money to some people. We've got groceries to by, taxes to pay. Real big kid stuff.

By all means, move to the mountains. But don't be deluded into thinking it's all hero dirt, powder days, yoga retreats, elk sliders, craft beer and puffy coats. We got real town problems too. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution.

Who's gonna open up there wallets and invest their time into increasing the sustainability of this community? How is it gonna work? Who's paying for the schools? You gonna vote tax VRBOs like hotels to drive down your own property values? You gonna volunteer your time to help the ski team raise money for their entry fees and transportation costs? What is your take on tail access fees? Where is everyone gonna park? What's your take on bettle kill and fire mitigation? What about prohibiting fishing when the river temp is too high?

So yeah. It's great living here. It really is. But more people equals more problems. If we don't collectively address our challenges, we will end up with somewhere nobody wants to live.

<snip> Temps seem perfect, if this week is any indication of what to expect in summer and a mountain challenging enough to keep my jong ass trying to get better forever. Looking at the pictures of the area, well I don't think you will find a much more beautiful spot anywhere, BUT the winters may be to much for the misses.
    They ABSOLUTELY will be. You've been warned.

All the rest is true - summer is a magical time in the Butte - but it is generally about 1/2 of June, July, and most of August, if you're lucky.

And the mountain there is good - when they have snow. It seems to be pretty feast or famine in the Butte. And be advised - the famine is pretty awful on that mountain.

durango is a city. As for the cold. I cannot speak for L2S's wife. But the cold is not that big of a deal and I know longer enjoy being cold. When the sun comes out things warm up in a hurry. A couple of times I got up at some ungodly hour in subzero temps to ski something. It amazed me that as soon as the sun came up I was stripping clothes. Many days last winter I sat out on my deck. I mentioned before make sure your you have sun in the months you want it and avoid the wind.
    off your knees Louie

Sounds like a major grass is greener problem. I think you should stay where you are, if skiing is fairly close. California is pretty awesome for variety of weather and topography. Oceans, mountains, and what is probably the prettiest city in America, S.F.. Pretty cool people, too, in general. I assume that you're one of the millions grandfathered into reasonable property taxes, so, that would be hard to give up. To leave that for a place like CB, I dunno. There really isn't much there except skiing and MTB and maybe hiking, and the closest city us Denver, which is a long way. Cold and miserable a lot, too. Furgetabout mud season. Tahoe, shit, you can ski in the morning and play 9 holes in the afternoon, or MTB, or road bike, or some other things. Damn pretty, too.

One thing you really have to consider in retirement that nobody has mentioned is medical care. Unless you're immortal, you're gonna need it, sooner or later, so, you really have to consider that whole thing seriously. Like your doctor now? Hospitals close? Ortho facilities? Good dentists? (Serious work, like implants and such) Gulp, home care companies? I'm not kidding. Nobody lives forever. Of all the places in America, I would rate CB and Steamboat real low to be 72 and sick in. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    <snip> I would rate CB and Steamboat real low to be 72 and sick in. Sorry.
    72 and sick in Steamboat/CB > 72 and healthy in any godforsaken place east of the Rockies.

YMMV.

That would explain why all mountain & ski towns are full of toothless lepers.
    Thanks again for your long time local insight Benny, killing it as always.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    That would explain why all mountain & ski towns are full of toothless lepers.
    Thanks again for your long time local insight Benny, killing it as always.
    What the fuck are you talking about?

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    72 and sick in Steamboat/CB > 72 and healthy in any godforsaken place east of the Rockies.

YMMV.

You're a perfect candidate for the suicide after 50 thread that's floating around here. Narrow minded motherfuckers who took their white priveleged money to go live high in the Rockies, thinking the rest of the world sucks, because, hey, I guess, you don't have to work for a fucking living and you can afford to live the trustafarian life in the mountains. Until you can't.
    I swear, you punk white kids are worse than Manhattan people with your narrow little tunnel vision of the world. Probably reason #1 why I couldn't stand living in a ski town. Brah.

You're a perfect candidate for the suicide after 50 thread that's floating around here. Narrow minded motherfuckers who took their white priveleged money to go live high in the Rockies, thinking the rest of the world sucks, because, hey, I guess, you don't have to work for a fucking living and you can afford to live the trustafarian life in the mountains. Until you can't.
    I swear, you punk white kids are worse than Manhattan people with your narrow little tunnel vision of the world. Probably reason #1 why I couldn't stand living in a ski town. Brah.

I don't live in a ski town.

And I may be older than you.

But... nice try?

I do like this part: "took their white priveleged money"

If only you knew.

That escalated quickly. Suicide comments are fucking low and disgusting.
    Stay away L2S - you might get a cracked tooth and have to drive to Denver to get it fixed, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I don't live in a ski town.

And I may be older than you.

But... nice try?

I do like this part: "took their white priveleged money"

If only you knew.
    So then, what the fuck is your fucking point?

Benny. It is actually very possible to live in the mountains and not be an unhappy sack of miserable shit. There are lots of us doing it every day. No trust money here. Just good work life balance.

One thing you really have to consider in retirement that nobody has mentioned is medical care. Unless you're immortal, you're gonna need it, sooner or later, so, you really have to consider that whole thing seriously. Like your doctor now? Hospitals close? Ortho facilities? Good dentists? (Serious work, like implants and such) Gulp, home care companies? I'm not kidding. Nobody lives forever. Of all the places in America, I would rate CB and Steamboat real low to be 72 and sick in. Sorry.
    Actually that's one thing that Steamboat does have going for it. The hospital has always been regionally important and the medical community that it's brought is a high quality one. I'd venture to say that it's even up to your standards

So then, what the fuck is your fucking point?

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Benny. It is actually very possible to live in the mountains and not be an unhappy sack of miserable shit. There are lots of us doing it every day. No trust money here. Just good work life balance.
    Oh sure. If you can afford it, to start. But, when Summit County "affordable" housing hovers at 400 grand, you have to wonder. And some people here were actually talking Aspen. Really. Yeah, sure, you can live with the yahoos in Creede, I guess......