Page 909 of 1072 FirstFirst ... 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 ... LastLast
Results 22,701 to 22,725 of 26794
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    The houses being built in my neighborhood had buyers under contract before they started. I bet the new owners are a bit worried seeing existing homes sitting for a couple hundred thousand less than they are paying to build.

Other builders are definitely at risk in my opinion. Houses hitting the market now and over the next several months were built with materials purchased when prices were at all time highs.
    That Spokane house would be worth at least $1.2MM if you plopped it into Leavenworth or Whitefish. Spokane though...

Also, why go through all the trouble of building what appears to be a nice house and use a plastic shower pan in one of the bathrooms? Why do people make those kind of decisions?
    how many people are walking away from contracts ?

yeah the lumber prices are down but the building supply stores has to sell off all that product they bought at the high prices, I know locally there really isnt any other option, not that the contractor cares cuz the buyer is paying the bills

i seen this in the bubble of 1981 in Vangroovy, the builder/ owner cheap out cuz they are running out of money and just trying to get out from under, my parents bought a big house/ nice hood/ nice outside finish with CHEAP inside finish, i understand the previous owner spent 175K and pa being a saver had the money when nobody else did would have just wrote a cheque for 119K, being 40 yars ago the amounts sound like chicken feed but the %'s tell the story
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-24-2022 at 02:16 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    how many people are walking away from contracts ?

yeah the lumber prices are down but the building supply stores has to sell off all that product they bought at the high prices, I know locally there really isnt any other option, not that the contractor cares cuz the buyer is paying the bills

i seen this in the bubble of 1981 in Vangroovy, the builder/ owner cheap out cuz they are running out of money and just trying to get out from under , my parents bought a big house/ nice hood/ nice outside with CHEAP insides, still i understand the previous owner spent 175K and pa being a saver had the money when nobody else did would have just wrote a cheque for 119K, being 40 yars ago the amounts sound like chicken feed but the %'s tell the story
    18% of new construction buyers backed out of contracts in July, up from 8% a year ago.

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 2.38.44 PM.png
Views: 462
Size:  51.0 KB

Shit, we still need a contractor to do some small repairs on our deck, everyone is still like two years out here.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Have you tried calling Texas builders?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Wonder what % of the 20 million utility customers behind on payments are in Texas? I’ll go out and suggest it’s above the national average

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Shit, we still need a contractor to do some small repairs on our deck, everyone is still like two years out here.
    I'm considering looking at new projects sometime in march next year
    meanwhile I'm getting nothing done and posting on tgr today

don't see any issues with the market around here 38k worth carpet going into a house

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

don't see any issues with the market around here 38k worth carpet going into a house
    Cool. Sell them a new air quality/smoke/co detector too.

cheeper carpet in the world but they wanted the lambs wool imported from new zeland shit

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    cheeper carpet in the world but they wanted the lambs wool imported from new zeland shit
    And you installed upstate polynoleum?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Have you considered going with a tear down and rebuild. You might be get more interest if you go that route.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Haha, we had it custom built last summer. Had a shit contractor though, and it leaks like a sieve. It was built with interlocking, snap together decking boards that are supposed to create a waterproof ceiling for the dried in, concrete walled space underneath. But our guy was a hack, and didn’t do them right. We are already 50-60k into it. Just hoping someone can fix the leaks without actually having to tear down and rebuild. It’s way more than a few tubes of caulk.
    I thought we should have taken the guy to small claims last year, but he (was) one of my wife’s clients, small town, blah, blah…

I got a deck I store shit under that was not waterproof

I had some used/ free aluminium roofing that i screwed up UNDER the deck to the deck joists and its pretty good as far as making the space waterproof

Yeah, but you are a Narthern weirdo that lives in a shed

The entire goal was to have a totally dried in storage space for things as delicate as electronics, fabrics, guitars, etc. Needs some work still.

well as opposed to 50-60K so far I'm into it for let me see ...nothing ?

Personally I wouldn't have believed that story but you go for it

I’ll post pics tomorrow, it will make more sense.
    TBF, the $50-$60k included engineering, foundation, concrete, electrical, materials, labor, and some landscaping. As well as a decent sized hot tub. And a decent sized roof rated for our snow loads.

Actually to be more accurate I used a handful of drywall screws and an old drill (not even cordless) but you go ahead and justify your spending of $$$$$

Oh, The cost was justified upon us by the clown contractor that was essentially learning how to build on our dime. Djongo can verify.

That sounds unlikely to be fixable without ripping the decking off and starting over. I wouldn't start a fixit job like that without a notarized contract stating I was attempting to fix the leaks to the best of my abilities but not responsible if it wasn't fixable due to original contractor mistakes.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

The reality is a flat surface over dried in space is going to leak in a Jackson Hole environment. Definitely not for 50k. But they are none the less all the rage.

At least you didn’t spend 5 million for a flat roof modern joint New West is throwing up everywhere. Those all leak too.

Know a guy with a big fancy flat roofed house in Edwards, CO. He's had to have the roof repaired every summer since it was built. He can afford it I guess, but I'm not sure why people think those kinds of roofs are necessary or functional in mountain environments.

Just looked up one of the houses in Bellingham where we got beat out in 2021 by a lower cash offer because we didn't have a big enough escalation...another $10k prolly would have done it. Redfin's value for the house is up 30% since then, FML.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Know a guy with a big fancy flat roofed house in Edwards, CO. He's had to have the roof repaired every summer since it was built. He can afford it I guess, but I'm not sure why people think those kinds of roofs are necessary or functional in mountain environments.
    Our campus, while beautiful, is mostly flat roofs and even has building with a massive concave section that loads 3-4ft of snow to melt into a poorly sealed seam/internal gutter system. It's been a big challenge. The design bias was towards the summer use by the Aspen Music Festival, whereas our School's Sept-May usage [with lots of cold, dark, snowy days in the shadow of ridgelines 2000' above us] is plagued by flat roofs loading and leaking.

https://www.designworkshop.com/proje...um-campus.html

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The reality is a flat surface over dried in space is going to leak in a Jackson Hole environment. Definitely not for 50k. But they are none the less all the rage.

At least you didn’t spend 5 million for a flat roof modern joint New West is throwing up everywhere. Those all leak too.
    yeah I won't even look at buying a house with a flat or low slope tar n gravel ( now torch-on ) or shake cuz replacement is too fucking expensive, a plebeian duroid shingle roof is the cheapest

actually that old aluminium roofing under the deck overlapped at the seam does not leak but you wana screw it up there with a little bit of slope, my lawn mower & kayaks seemed happy enough

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Just looked up one of the houses in Bellingham where we got beat out in 2021 by a lower cash offer because we didn't have a big enough escalation...another $10k prolly would have done it. Redfin's value for the house is up 30% since then, FML.
    Which one?

Hah, flat roof in snow country. Anyone memba this?

Name:  10171920_791208270953921_3033762609365957120_n.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  62.2 KB
    Last edited by Danno; 08-25-2022 at 01:12 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy