Page 231 of 1081 FirstFirst ... 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 27021

Real Estate Crash thread

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Guys, like shredgnar's wife, I want to live in the mountains in the next few years. We will initially rent to see how my wife feels about it, as she has been a beach girl her entire life, but I need a change.

I have been looking at Crested Butte and Telluride, as I like the old west feel of the main towns and the proximity to lift served skiing. O and legal weed for this Mrs is a big plus. However, finding longer term rentals looks tough. Especially with 2 large dogs.

I fuckin hate the heat, so anything much over 75 degrees in summer is not what I want. Hell, I can spend my summers on Vancouver Island, so heat is out.

So any suggestions of places to take Mrs L2S and the wolf pups to check out? Thanks
    Have you looked into Keystone ?! I would suggest that or Granby Ranch.

In all seriousness, Crested Butte and Telluride are dope mountain towns. If you go with crested butte, it is actually cheaper to live in Mount Crested Butte, which is closer to the slopes. I also think steamboat is a good suggestion. They get a lot of the snow there, although the mountain is kinda flat and has the lowest elevation in Colorado with a bad exposure... that means in low tide the bottom half of the mountain sucks ass. On the bright side though, in town is not nearly as cold for the missus.

Since cost does not seem to be much of an issue for you, I would look into the Aspen / roaring fork valley area. Aspen has the best town in Colorado, with that old west vibe (although it is a luxury western vibe) and you have 4 different mountains within a half hour of each other there. The skiing in Aspen is great. Snowmass village might have what you are looking for in the Aspen area.

Breckenridge MIGHT have what you are looking for as well. Breck has a pretty nice old town in the center of the city, and the high alpine terrain at Breck is actually quite enjoyable. I actually really like the town of Breck. Plus, living in summit county has its perks. Close to Denver, larger population in summit county with more diverse jobs, etc.
    Last edited by WTF is dat; 08-12-2017 at 05:04 PM.

I think the cold thing could be a deal breaker. Best to buy a place with lots of sun and not much wind.
    off your knees Louie

Real Estate Crash thread

L2S - Steamboat and Crested Butte would be excellent towns to check out, but the ski resorts are very different.

SB - 370" of snow, 3000 acres, moderate pitch, A+ trees, no alpine terrain, expert terrain is short, low elevation and aspect creates spring conditions quick.
    CB - 250" of snow, 1500 acres, steeper pitch, A+ "nasty" expert terrain, usually thin, mainly N facing so stays soft through closing day.

The Yampa Valley is very pretty, but there aren't big skyscraper peaks visible from town, you'll have to go towards the Zirkel Wilderness for any of that. The Flat Tops to the south can provide some alpine terrain too, but flat hehe. CB is the opposite, big peaks everywhere and the views from the ski area are tough to beat.

Both have deep backcountry areas nearby that get quite a bit more snow than the resorts.

Poncha Springs/Salida & Pagosa Springs areas are both quite nice if you're open to a very reasonable drive to the hill and don't want to live in a snow globe from November to April.

Sounds like you have a very good problem on your hands. Good luck.
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 08-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.

My advice is don't go north of 50. Made an exception for CB. I would not bother with Pagosa too much sprawl not a walkable place to live. If you have the money Telluride is the closest thing to a cold version of Coronado. No opinion on Aspen could work.
    off your knees Louie

How about Avon/Edwards? It's currently on the outer edge of the I-70 cluster fuck, which means you can mostly keep your sanity when it comes to dealing with tourists and crowds. Immediate access to Beaver Creek, 15 minutes to Vail, and then about 1:15 to Aspen. Plenty of shopping, coffee, etc for the wife too.

And fastfred- it's funny you say everything in Eagle is over-inflated. It's like that everywhere in Colorado... especially up-valley from Eagle in Avon, Edwards, Vail, etc. I'm currently outside of Boulder and it's sad to see the prices that homes are going for. But that said, we're like a lot of people and we're just rolling equity from one house to the next. Plus, we're going to build our house, not buy... so we're just overpaying in general, not overpaying for something we don't really want.

Oh, and Telluride is the most beautiful town in the most beautiful setting in the United States, hands down. But you pay through the nose for that.

Can somebody explain shopping as an activity to me?

As mentioned, places to live and places to vacation ain't exactly the same thing. I'd rather live down valley in a real community and drive to ski versus living close to the lifts and having to deal with everything that is a "ski town" these days. There really is more to it than meets the eye. Buyer beware.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    No way his wife tolerates that. Even the locals start to get nuts around late February...

My guess, L2S - you want Steamboat. You OK with the mountain not being supah-gnar-bro?
    I think I agree with you and ya, I don't need the gnar. Seems like I can find a place in town that works for us and looking at some of the videos, well it looks great. Stumbled across Ouray CO. What a great looking town but skiing is to far away. So ya, CB or Steamboat are likely it. I will rent out our home to some Zoners for a month next summer and take a road trip to CO.

I want to thank you guys for the insights and your time. Some really good comments have been made and thinking about it, sunshine and not to fucking cold for the misses is the call if I can still have a descent ski experience for a season or two.

Bottom line, my girl has to be happy or the best day skiing will not matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Why are you limiting the search to CO? And are you Canadian?

I think I agree with you and ya, I don't need the gnar. Seems like I can find a place in town that works for us and looking at some of the videos, well it looks great. Stumbled across Ouray CO. What a great looking town but skiing is to far away. So ya, CB or Steamboat are likely it. I will rent out our home to some Zoners for a month next summer and take a road trip to CO.

I want to thank you guys for the insights and your time. Some really good comments have been made and thinking about it, sunshine and not to fucking cold for the misses is the call if I can still have a descent ski experience for a season or two.

Bottom line, my girl has to be happy or the best day skiing will not matter.
    Did you get my pm?

L2S, I'd trade CO for BC in a heartbeat if I could. Revelstoke is way more desirable for me personally than any place I've spent time in CO.

Full disclosure- I haven't spent much time in Steamboat, but have spent a fair amount of time in Aspen/Vail/Beaver Creek/CB/Breck

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Why are you limiting the search to CO? And are you Canadian?
    I am. Most of my immediate family has moved from Vancouver to Kelowna which is a great town but just toooooooo hot in the summer. Fuck that as much as I would love to hang with my sister. Lots of cousins around Calgary, but I am just not feeling Alberta as the place we want to be.

Frankly, I would like to move to Italy around the Dolomite's, but I can not get my dogs over there safely, so that is out for the near future. CO is pretty damn beautiful, so that is why I am thinking that may be the spot for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Did you get my pm?
    Dooooh, I will check it out now.
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

I think American's have a romantic notion about Canada. One advantage of SW CO I did not think much about before purchasing. Proximity to the desert. Awesome in the winter. Revelstoke is a long way from other places. This discussion should probably be in one of the where to relocate threads. Better move on the Canada purchase, dollar is weakening.
    off your knees Louie

Real Estate Crash thread

Winters in Valemount, summers on the Salish Sea.

Got to have a quiver

I Stumbled across Ouray CO. What a great looking town but skiing is to far away. .
    yeah that'll go over well for warmth, she'll love that in late november when the sun sets at 330

town is at the end of a canyon and it faces north

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Can somebody explain shopping as an activity to me?

it's ok dude, you don't have to know everything in the world

but yes shopping is an activity and many many many americans think it's a great fun

when's the last time you went to a mall? you are missing out

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    How about Avon/Edwards? It's currently on the outer edge of the I-70 cluster fuck, which means you can mostly keep your sanity when it comes to dealing with tourists and crowds. Immediate access to Beaver Creek, 15 minutes to Vail, and then about 1:15 to Aspen. Plenty of shopping, coffee, etc for the wife too.

And fastfred- it's funny you say everything in Eagle is over-inflated. It's like that everywhere in Colorado... especially up-valley from Eagle in Avon, Edwards, Vail, etc. I'm currently outside of Boulder and it's sad to see the prices that homes are going for. But that said, we're like a lot of people and we're just rolling equity from one house to the next. Plus, we're going to build our house, not buy... so we're just overpaying in general, not overpaying for something we don't really want.

Oh, and Telluride is the most beautiful town in the most beautiful setting in the United States, hands down. But you pay through the nose for that.
    yeah but I stand by it, boulder golden breckenridge vail real estate all have something behind it, a dry dusty down valley trash town doesn't have much going for it other than working at costco, the gypsum plant, or eagle county gov't, all the real jobs are up valley a half hour at 75 mph it's over inflated

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    yeah that'll go over well for warmth, she'll love that in late november when the sun sets at 330

town is at the end of a canyon and it faces north
    I agree, would not consider it. I would definitely visit and spend the night here http://www.wiesbadenhotsprings.com.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    yeah but I stand by it, boulder golden breckenridge vail real estate all have something behind it, a dry dusty down valley trash town doesn't have much going for it other than working at costco, the gypsum plant, or eagle county gov't, all the real jobs are up valley a half hour at 75 mph it's over inflated
    Or the jobs are in their own house, because telecommuting is a very real thing these days and it pays WAY better than the jobs up valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    What's your 1 or 2?
    Crested Butte is number one, I think Telluride is two but I know many would put Highlands there, which is why I said 2 or 3. I think Telluride is better, but highlands bowl is a remarkable thing.

Not counting Silverton because it's not really a ski resort in the same way.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I think American's have a romantic notion about Canada. One advantage of SW CO I did not think much about before purchasing. Proximity to the desert. Awesome in the winter. Revelstoke is a long way from other places. This discussion should probably be in one of the where to relocate threads. Better move on the Canada purchase, dollar is weakening.
    Proximity to the desert is a hudge plus.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    L2S, I'd trade CO for BC in a heartbeat if I could. Revelstoke is way more desirable for me personally than any place I've spent time in CO.

Full disclosure- I haven't spent much time in Steamboat, but have spent a fair amount of time in Aspen/Vail/Beaver Creek/CB/Breck

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app
    Rogers Pass would be nice, but RMR is one of the most over rated resorts I've skied.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Proximity to the desert is a hudge plus.
    As a former resident of CO and a current resident of Montana this is spot on.

Or the jobs are in their own house, because telecommuting is a very real thing these days and it pays WAY better than the jobs up valley.
    I can work from anywhere in the US, not sure about Canada, as I have a small mortgage company. We will be basically retired once we do the move anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Winters in Valemount, summers on the Salish Sea.

Got to have a quiver
    Looks like a great suggestion if I didn't mind moving twice a year. Originally I was thinking to live on Vancouver Island in the summer, so I could still surf and then Kelowna in the winter to be close to family. That could still happen if the USD doesn't go in the shitter again.
    The high alpine in CO does remind me of Yurp and the summers are not as hot as BC for some crazy reason, hence my interest.

Was going to mention this^ too. We are buying a place over there so I've been spending a little time there. Avon is pretty sweet. Walk to gondola, and most shops. Mellow little town. Warmer than Summit. Easy access to down valley where it just gets warmer the further west you go.