Page 916 of 1081 FirstFirst ... 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 ... LastLast
Results 22,876 to 22,900 of 27014
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Not directly. Part of rent inflation is the number of new first time leases at higher prices.
    higher income renters renting higher quality properties drove demand before the pandemic and during its late pandemic resurgence.

real estate supply was dropping for years prepandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I think the rent increase phenomena can be attributed to several different factors.

The eviction moratorium artificially reduced the supply of rental units for a year and a half. Many people moved during covid, which meant that demand was higher than normal for new rental contracts.

In addition, the labor shortage pushed up wages for the people who rent at the same time that the Fed was red lining the economy with record low rates and MBS purchases, leading to higher real estate prices and driving increased demand for real estate speculation. HIgher real estate prices also contributed to higher rent prices. The federal reserve was on a bond buying spree throughout this time period, which allowed institutional investors to issue billions of dollars worth of bonds at artificially low rates that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to realize. That bond capitol sought out rent and went on a RE buying spree.

This was all happening while the foreclosure moratorium was also in place, which meant that the supply of real estate was artificially reduced. COVID unemployment benefits caused many renters to have higher income on unemployment than they had in their previous jobs, which kept the number of total households high during a time that otherwise would have seen people moving in with family and friends to save money.

Increased demand and reduced supply lead to significant price increases, which formed a new baseline for rent.

TLDR- I propose that there were many contributing factors on both the supply and demand side of RE that artificially manipulated the market starting in Spring of 2020.
    I think you hit the nail on the head
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

You mean it wasn’t Soros’ evil plan?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    House (SFH) down the street from us has been on the market for $1.5m for over a month. Nice place too, probably worth it, at least in this market. Funny, another condo in town that is on the market for $1.5 is half the square footage, has a crazy HOA, and is nowhere near as nice. But the location cannot be beat, at least on this side of the county. My friend used to rent in that building for like $500 per month a decade ago. Location location location.
    Similar situation here in Bend. House went on the market for $1.9 million, and that normally would have sold above asking before rates went up. It closed after 2 months on the market for $1.7 million. Lots of that going on with price reductions, and sitting on the market longer. But, that's to be expected after 2 years of over heated growth in home prices and demand.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head
    Yeah, great analysis. Add to that a TON of covid rental assistance available.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rfvjog4ha9o91.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	426633

Granted, I just woke up, but I don't understand why investors would be buying SFR. If paid for cash, after expenses, maybe they are getting a annual 4% return. Seems low for the capital being spent except for the hope of future appreciation.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Granted, I just woke up, but I don't understand why investors would be buying SFR. If paid for cash, after expenses, maybe they are getting a annual 4% return. Seems low for the capital being spent except for the hope of future appreciation.
    1. Tail enders coming after seeing RE returns the last few years while the markets are sideways now)
    2. Relatively safe with some guaranteed cashflows while corporatized management of investor owned housing (STR and LTR) improve margins and reduce overhead
    3. Speculation that prices and rents will rise
    4. "Everyone else is doing it, I better get mine"
    5. 4 will further drive 3
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by m9b8f9 View Post
    I believe that real estate is the best object for investment. Because despite the crisis, real estate continues to rise in price.
    Hey, I think this guy is really on to something!

Hey, I think this guy is really on to something!
    Next up?

Timeshares. Always worth it.

Fractional home ownership is the newest investment paradigm.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    1. Tail enders coming after seeing RE returns the last few years while the markets are sideways now)
    2. Relatively safe with some guaranteed cashflows while corporatized management of investor owned housing (STR and LTR) improve margins and reduce overhead
    3. Speculation that prices and rents will rise
    4. "Everyone else is doing it, I better get mine"
    5. 4 will further drive 3
    1031 exchanges...

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    If you're paying cash, or buying a place with a 4% return you're doing it all wrong.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Fed's Powell: U.S. housing market headed for 'correction'

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/f...on-2022-09-21/
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post

How incredibly prescient.

So nobody thought that "Money printer go BRRRRR!" thing wasn't going to catch up to us? I mean, yeah, it avoided a double whammy of global shutdown/pandemic and a recession at the same time, which was nice. But it just delayed the inevitable, and now here we are, the inevitable.

Oh, don’t be fooled, ‘the inevitable’ will be FAR more cataclysmic!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Oh, don’t be fooled, ‘the inevitable’ will be FAR more cataclysmic!
    OK Bunny

zErO hEdGe sAyS sO!

(Actually, I am referring to earth being enveloped by the sun becoming a super-nova, but whatevs)

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    zErO hEdGe sAyS sO!

(Actually, I am referring to earth being enveloped by the sun becoming a super-nova, but whatevs)
    Can't wait! Wouldn't that be nice? I mean, knowing that you aren't going to suffer with some shitty illness or die like some dumbass Darwin Award candidate? Just everyone goes out at the same time in the same way? Something strangely comforting about that. Only thing that would make it better would be knowing that it was coming for a while, not. too far, but like a year or less. I think I'd be kinda proud knowing that in the thousands of years that humans have been around and worrying about the end of the world happening any minute, I was one of the lucky ones who actually got to witness the apocalypse. How cool would that be?

It would probably tank the housing market though....

If you know it’s coming, it’s “on the beach”
    I love that novel. It makes you ask the question what do you do once you know it’s all about to end.

On the Beach is a 1959 American post-apocalyptic science fiction drama film from United Artists, produced and directed by Stanley Kramer, that stars Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Fred Astaire, and Anthony Perkins.[2] This black-and-white film is based on Nevil Shute's 1957 novel of the same name depicting the aftermath of a nuclear war.

All star cast. But as usual the novel is better.
    The car racing is amazing. Hell bent for leather knowing you have nothing to lose.

So nobody thought that "Money printer go BRRRRR!" thing wasn't going to catch up to us? I mean, yeah, it avoided a double whammy of global shutdown/pandemic and a recession at the same time, which was nice. But it just delayed the inevitable, and now here we are, the inevitable.
    you can still get a 2 million dollar shit box with no garage in breckenridge wait I think the price dropped and we are now at a more comfortable 1.8m
    keeping an eye on small town middle of nowhere property and its still way over priced double what it was three years ago lots of open houses and 10k price drops as if that means anything

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    If you're paying cash, or buying a place with a 4% return you're doing it all wrong.
    Right? But if you buy a SFR, good luck getting a 5% return after expenses, at least initially. 30 years down the road, your return can be ridiculous. O and the house that sold across the street 2 years ago was never built on (great lot but a tear down for $3M), so it was but on the market for $400k more and was under contract in 10 days. Unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post

At some point it feels like the Fed has decided we need a recession and is just pushing us into it for no reason.

I just don’t understand why they think spiking interest rates like this is going to solve the inflationary pressure we see right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    At some point it feels like the Fed has decided we need a recession and is just pushing us into it for no reason.

I just don’t understand why they think spiking interest rates like this is going to solve the inflationary pressure we see right now.
    we need a recession we are overdue long overdue
    raising rates slows the flow of cheap easy money to buy stupid shit and that free eazy money has been out of control the past three years now
    everyone thinks they are a millionaire right now
    ask any colorado homeowner we have the highest rate of helocs in the country cause people are using their home as an atm

what we need is an slow down not necessarily fall off the cliff recession
    but since we need to prop up the boomers lifestyle as much as we can on their way out the door this is the shit we eat

the labor market is shit storm at least I have plenty of opportunities for wfh laid off tech workers