Page 695 of 1085 FirstFirst ... 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 ... LastLast
Results 17,351 to 17,375 of 27101
    Stories of people moving from places like Seattle back to Michigan remind me of those click-bait articles claiming everyone is fleeing San Francisco. The few I know who have moved from Seattle back to the Midwest weren't really into skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking, and surfing, and were just in Seattle for the scene, drugs, and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    One of my old managers told me it was common to call a guy in at 9am tell him "we need a guy in bumfuck do you want the job? " he calls the wife to tell her we are moving to bumfuck , fly directly to bum fuck on the next flight, buy a tooth brush or whatever in Bumfuck, call the RE & moving companys, the moving company even packs the ashes in the ash tray

but thats ^^ for career

in any case nowdays people buy shit on-line just from looking at the picture ... why not a new life ?
    But this guy doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    But this guy doesn't work.
    well then he ^^ is buying a new life online or maybe they have no connection to whatever they left behind ... the guy who moved to bum fuck on zero notice ?

I at least did have a short lived job & pension $

I also did one paddle/ ski season, i think most people at least take a vaca to a new place, I meet them all the time at the brewerys
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

“Skiers” whining about Upper Midwest winter weather? It’s not the weather that sucks it’s the people hibernating that sucks. Which if you’ve spawned & cohabitate might not matter much.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Stories of people moving from places like Seattle back to Michigan remind me of those click-bait articles claiming everyone is fleeing San Francisco. The few I know who have moved from Seattle back to the Midwest weren't really into skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking, and surfing, and were just in Seattle for the scene, drugs, and beer.
    No one living in any city gives actual fucks about skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking or surfing.
    Live Free or Die

LOL. I'm pretty sure if we had a ski off between every city in America SLC, Seattle, Denver, Portland, and San Francisco would dominate. Don't be jealous because we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    No one living in any city gives actual fucks about skiing, mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking or surfing.
    Yes, the only people who care are the 10,000 residents of Jackson and the dozen other official mountain towns of rank.

I think that a lot of people end up moving away because of the reason they initially moved here combined with the natural progression of life. when they were in their 20s they were active and recreated in the mountains and in Seattle every week/end, they really got after it and enjoyed everything this place has to offer- 8 hour day in the mountains followed by great food and a concert for example. But then they got older, more responsibility at work, gained some weight and got out of good mountain shape. Or maybe they found a girl and had a kid or two. They either dont have the time, stamina, or want to go and get after it on a regular basis anymore. And ive always said that i have no idea why anyone would want to live in the PNW if they didnt have a winter/springtime passion that involved the mountains. I fucking LOVE it here, but damn if i couldnt ski or bike, or dig trail i would not be nearly as stoked on the place.

Many people, as they get older and fatter and more tired with more responsibility, start to see the sedentary midwest/southern life as pretty attractive.

i would disagree with that ^^ statement and bigger citys that come to mind are Vancover/ Calgary/ Edmonton
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

LOL. I'm pretty sure if we had a ski off between every city in America SLC, Seattle, Denver, Portland, and San Francisco would dominate. Don't be jealous because we have it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Yes, the only people who care are the 10,000 residents of Jackson and the dozen other official mountain towns of rank.
    Your senses of humor are slipping.

Sure, the people of Seatlle, Denver, and San Fran have it all .... a couple hours away from them.
    Live Free or Die

Your senses of humor are slipping.

Sure, the people of Seatlle, Denver, and San Fran have it all .... a couple hours away from them.
    You know you can surf in San Francisco, right?

Rolls eyes. Stay sassy Hugh
    Live Free or Die

Sure thing schrodingers dumbass.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I think that a lot of people end up moving away because of the reason they initially moved here combined with the natural progression of life. when they were in their 20s they were active and recreated in the mountains and in Seattle every week/end, they really got after it and enjoyed everything this place has to offer- 8 hour day in the mountains followed by great food and a concert for example. But then they got older, more responsibility at work, gained some weight and got out of good mountain shape. Or maybe they found a girl and had a kid or two. They either dont have the time, stamina, or want to go and get after it on a regular basis anymore. And ive always said that i have no idea why anyone would want to live in the PNW if they didnt have a winter/springtime passion that involved the mountains. I fucking LOVE it here, but damn if i couldnt ski or bike, or dig trail i would not be nearly as stoked on the place.

Many people, as they get older and fatter and more tired with more responsibility, start to see the sedentary midwest/southern life as pretty attractive.
    Or maybe the uncle said, times up, let's get serious and come work for the firm, as was meant for you. And maybe the trust fund has a stipulation that says, one to two years freedom after school before a career is started, or you lose the money. Or maybe they're just fucking tired of being poor.

Or maybe the uncle said, times up, let's get serious and come work for the firm, as was meant for you. And maybe the trust fund has a stipulation that says, one to two years freedom after school before a career is started, or you lose the money. Or maybe they're just fucking tired of being poor.
    You're a local in Seattle now too?

Believe it or not, most people in Seattle and SF don't ski or hike or MTB.

There are a lot of people who grew up in the midwest, moved to the coasts for career reasons and enjoyed a food/music/culture lifestyle instead of an outdoor lifestyle. Many then ended up in a place in life where being close to family and having more affordable housing is important.

The ability to go permanently remote is helping migration. My GF's brother and his wife kept their SoCal tech salaries and moved to MI the year before the pandemic to be closer to family when they started having kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Believe it or not, most people in Seattle and SF don't ski or hike or MTB.
    Most people in *any* city don't. Which is good, because if most did, the trails/ski areas would be even MORE of a shitshow than they already are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Believe it or not, most people in Seattle and SF don't ski or hike or MTB
    I don't know about that. I think at least 50% of Seattle residents go hiking at least once a year. Maybe as high as 75%. I hiked by the Denny Creek Slide a few weeks ago. All cross sections of humanity were represented on the trail. 40 min from downtown Seattle and 1 mile flattish hike in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210724_151215.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	382203

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Most people in *any* city don't. Which is good, because if most did, the trails/ski areas would be even MORE of a shitshow than they already are.
    Most people don't ski, period.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    how many people in mountain towns do? Counting hours not days.

So tell me again why the east is dead and the west is the future?

I haven't been there in ages, but, I'm pretty sure Detroit doesnt have tent cities.

https://medium.com/illumination/port...e-8039cfc58688

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    You're a local in Seattle now too?
    and Portland!

Remember this when you look at a Zillow estimate next time. Wee bit of conflict of interest.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93ym...american-homes

I haven't been there in ages, but, I'm pretty sure Detroit doesnt have tent cities.

There are so many empty houses in Detroit the bums can have a summer squat as well as a winter one that has empties on either side to tear apart for firewood.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Portland, Seattle, San Francisco have looked like shit for years and yet still have as high of real estate prices, and as strong of economies, as anywhere. Skyrocketing real estate prices is to blame. 90% of the community makes out like bandits and 10% get left in the dust. And this isn't a political problem. With red places like Boise and SLC seeing exploding real estate prices, you will see the same thing there. The median income of these places is as high as ever. It seems 10% homelessness is just the the cost of doing business in modern America.

So our choice is strong economies in the Western US, with widespread homelessness. Or weak economies in Detroit with no homelessness. Which do you want?