Page 552 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 ... LastLast
Results 13,776 to 13,800 of 26889
    Cheap and available contraception would put a solid dent in those numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Ya, but the world's population still all want to live in the US. So until that stops happening, too the moon!
    Well, places like Alabama may be hosed, but I'm expecting west coast RE to be going gangbusters long after I'm no longer around to enjoy my massive gainz

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I don't think that's the issue. In poorer countries, as it was here in the earlier days of America, having multiple kids is more of an insurance policy. Family dynamics are totally different than here (in the modern era) with multi-generational living and the expectation of having to take care of your elders. The more kids you have, the better chance you have of not living in the streets as an old person. Larger families have better odds to prosper. You see this carried over with some immigrants like some of my Indian friends. The extended families straight up have each others backs. More frequently here, it's akin to Mormon and Orthodox Jewish families who also can prosper for the same reasons and have intentionally large families.

Capitalism may be starting to work in China. https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/04/28...ertility-rate/

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    I don't think that's the issue. In poorer countries, as it was here in the earlier days of America, having multiple kids is more of an insurance policy. Family dynamics are totally different than here (in the modern era) with multi-generational living and the expectation of having to take care of your elders. The more kids you have, the better chance you have of not living in the streets as an old person. Larger families have better odds to prosper. You see this carried over with some immigrants like some of my Indian friends. The extended families straight up have each others backs. More frequently here, it's akin to Mormon and Orthodox Jewish families who also can prosper for the same reasons and have intentionally large families.
    RTFA.

I dunno man - my cousin married a crazy rich Asian woman and they live in Taiwan with their 3 kids.

Sure. But the master tinfoil plan is ladyboys
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Garbowski View Post
    Capitalism may be starting to work in China. https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/04/28...ertility-rate/
    Is this where the PRC comes in at night and abduct the women of child bearing age and artificially, or maybe even by "natural" means, impregnate the women?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Or you could research it and find out that if women get an education and access to contraception the birth rate goes down.

Reminds me of this though:
    https://youtu.be/XGU8lvSRxv8

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Is this where the PRC comes in at night and abduct the women of child bearing age and artificially, or maybe even by "natural" means, impregnate the women?
    That’s what they do in Xinjiang, and even then it’s not working.

Ok, so this is the new normal here.
    She is a WFH marketing person, willing to pay $4k per month for a 1br 1 ba, cash up front.
    And can’t find anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1FBF633B-C4A3-4B65-BA1E-A7D7C9DCDCA0.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	517.5 KB 
ID:	374310
    Last edited by rideit; 05-11-2021 at 11:01 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^I like your familiar browser tabs.

I keep my Brietbart, Frank, Parker, and Fox News in Private Mode, naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

Does she have 2 smallish dogs? Is she tall, voluptuous, sensual, and sincere? And would she like to trade rent for a delicious encounter a couple of times a month?

Well, I’m pretty sure her live in boyfriend might need to join in.

Well, I’m pretty sure her live in boyfriend might need to join in.
    Ted can be the middle spoon.

What's old is new again.

It's from here: Interesting Tahoe Craigslist Ad

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    What's old is new again.

It's from here: Interesting Tahoe Craigslist Ad
    That was great

I think this is worth reiterating.

Quote Originally Posted by Acostiga
    the man has over 2,000 posts. he obviously knows what he's doing.

Ya, but the world's population still all want to live in the US. So until that stops happening, too the moon!
    I'll be more than happy to leave and make room for someone. I want out of this shithole country.

She is a WFH marketing person, willing to pay $4k per month for a 1br 1 ba, cash up front.
    And can’t find anything.

Meh, she's looking in Jackson. A rental in Aspen proper will set you back 3x that per month with how crazy things are now. Tell her to look in Drictor or Alpine, I bet you can still find a decent place there for $3k/month. Screaming deal in 2021.

Interesting read on lumber prices from a Portland, OR based lumber company.

Lumber Trends.... a note from our President, Ryan Temple

As I am sure all of our customers have noticed, lumber and plywood prices are at all time highs. Understandably, many of you ask, “When are those prices going to come back down?” Though we don’t have an answer to that, all indications are that they will hover in their current range for at least the next few months. When the market finally does “correct”, it may be a very long time before they return anywhere close to their pre-COVID ranges. It is possible that trees and all their inherent benefits have been historically under-valued. Our challenge is finding a path so that the economic returns encourage sustainability over liquidation.

The next logical question we get it is “Why the heck are prices so high?” At its core, the answer is a complex application of fairly straight forward economics. At the onset of COVID, mills curtailed production in response to safety protocols and anticipated decrease in demand. The opposite happened and demand increased as production was being decreased. Since then, it has been a constant game of catch-up with mills increasing production in fits and starts as they have waited for vaccines and decreasing case counts to bring back the needed workforce. This has been compounded internationally, as some of our more reliable importing countries have faced their own supply challenges. In the meantime, low interest rates and economic stimulus payments are fulfilling their promise by fueling an ongoing demand for home improvement projects.

Between the lines we are witnessing that even the boom cycles of a traditional boom and bust industry come at a cost. Though milling is highly profitable during a boom, the predictability and sustainability of this cycle is perhaps not enough to stimulate the investment needed to modernize and stabilize our industry. Forest owners and managers have benefited from some of the upside of this market, but perhaps not enough. Instead of getting signals to sustainably manage the market signal is to cut when prices are high, even if it is not the most ecologically sensible time to do so. As a result, it is now more important than ever to localize our lumber purchasing and find ways to reward long-term sustainable vision over short term economic gain.

Ryan Temple, President
    Sustainable Northwest Wood
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

From NYTimes this morning:

My Beloved College Town (Bozeman) Has a Problem: It’s too Popular

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/o...smid=url-share

Bozeman is one of the country’s fastest-growing “micropolitan statistical areas” — what the federal Office of Management and Budget calls places with an urban core and a population of 10,000 to 50,000. But then the O.M.B. has announced a proposed change to the “metropolitan” threshold to populations of at least 100,000. This could cut federal funding for Bozeman and other up and comers, demote cities like Muncie, Ind., and Santa Fe, N.M., Bend, OR, as well as Montana’s metropolitans Great Falls and Missoula. Senator Jon Tester called this potential revision “the death knell of Montana,” and just introduced a bill to prohibit the O.M.B. from raising the metropolitan yardstick past 50,000 people.

From NYTimes this morning:

My Beloved College Town (Bozeman) Has a Problem: It’s too Popular

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/o...smid=url-share

Bozeman is one of the country’s fastest-growing “micropolitan statistical areas” — what the federal Office of Management and Budget calls places with an urban core and a population of 10,000 to 50,000. But then the O.M.B. has announced a proposed change to the “metropolitan” threshold to populations of at least 100,000. This could cut federal funding for Bozeman and other up and comers, demote cities like Muncie, Ind., and Santa Fe, N.M., Bend, OR, as well as Montana’s metropolitans Great Falls and Missoula. Senator Jon Tester called this potential revision “the death knell of Montana,” and just introduced a bill to prohibit the O.M.B. from raising the metropolitan yardstick past 50,000 people.
    Yep, as noted in the article, it's happening here in Bend too. I mean, when I moved here almost 5 years ago, the population was about 79k. It's easily over 100k now. So, yeah, I am part of the problem too.

It's going to be off the hook with overland vehicles, campers and RV's in a few weeks!

https://ktvz.com/news/2021/05/11/tra...p-destination/

Top Memorial Day Destinations:

AAA Travel is seeing significant recent increases in online traffic and bookings on AAA.com, particularly for hotels and car rentals, heading into the summer travel season. Domestic travel and road trips remain the most popular.

The national parks in Utah and Hawaii are the most popular destinations this Memorial Day, based on searches and bookings made by members of AAA Oregon/Idaho:

Road Trips:

Utah National Parks
    Central Oregon
    Yellowstone National Park
    Northern California
    Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I literally just bought Sunflower butter instead of my usual Almond butter because of that article. I hope that Sunflowers are more sustainable and probably grown in the midwest??
    I already planted about 20 sunflowers, probably going to get another 50 or so in today or tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I already planted about 20 sunflowers, probably going to get another 50 or so in today or tomorrow.
    They grow a shitload of them east of town here in Colorado...

More words about the the shitshow occurring in CO and around the west. Some good data points to shake your head at.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/05/11/c...eid=d565575d22