Page 614 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 ... LastLast
Results 15,326 to 15,350 of 26887
    Lots of high paying jobs, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    WFH!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, "out of existence" I don't know about, but generally speaking, STRs need to be regulated and taxed high enough that it will only work well for select properties.
    Yeah, I'd like to see a high "STR in residential neighborhood" tax in Portland, maybe phased in over 3-5 years so the owners don't all dump at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Problem with arguing that the renter class should be in the home owner class is that a great number of them either do not have the money or they do not have the responsibility/care to upkeep a home. At least as renters the landlord keeps the house from becoming a wreck.
    What? Show me some data that supports renters and land lords take better care of homes and neighborhoods than home owners. Regardless of income.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    That's arguing that there is and should be limited upward mobility.

Lots of people, myself included, rent on their way to being a homeowner and that path is facilitated by reasonable rent.
    Yeah, I imagine almost all homeowners rented before buying. Who leaves school and buys a house immediately?

the whole "renting allows for mobility" argument is pure bullshit pushed by the landlords which isn't surprising considering some of the dipshits balling their eyes out about not having a pot to piss in this thread. I've never seen a rental agreement where you can just pick up and move without paying a penalty of at least 2 months rent. are you really trying to argue that you can't sell your home if you don't like the house, neighborhood, city, or state? WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Problem with arguing that the renter class should be in the home owner class is that a great number of them either do not have the money or they do not have the responsibility/care to upkeep a home. At least as renters the landlord keeps the house from becoming a wreck.
    HA! Condos, sure. Apartment complexes, maybe. SFH rentals, the renters are usually responsible for cosmetic upkeep of the property.

I always chuckle when people say "oh the landlord will take care of that". Have they never rented before because that shit almost never gets taken care of IME unless its a major water leak or something that will only result in further financial problems for the landlord.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    the whole "renting allows for mobility" argument is pure bullshit pushed by the landlords which isn't surprising considering some of the dipshits balling their eyes out about not having a pot to piss in this thread. I've never seen a rental agreement where you can just pick up and move without paying a penalty of at least 2 months rent. are you really trying to argue that you can't sell your home if you don't like the house, neighborhood, city, or state? WTF?
    If your on a month to month you can give 30days notice anytime as a tenant. As the landlord you can only boot the tenant for cause, not just being a PITA to deal with. My next lease agreement will likely have all kinds of verbiage in "The Agreement" that addresses "if your a PITA" too.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

There are times when homes are not selling that may force someone to take a severe beating if they are forced to sell. Walking away from a lease even if you have to pay off the entire remaining lease can be much cheaper and easier. Landlords also have a duty to try to re-rent in cases where the tenant walks, of course they don't have to make a serious effort to do so.

Yeah, "out of existence" I don't know about, but generally speaking, STRs need to be regulated and taxed high enough that it will only work well for select properties.

Using the market Foggy lives in, I have half a dozen friends I can think of off the top of my head that own second homes. Only 1 is in a location that is inherently STR, at the WP base. The others are all mostly in Fraser, in random condo complexes or small townhome groups. Not traditional resort lodging, just random housing in a nearby town. And most of them use their places here and there, and rent it out regularly during winter. And it doesn't take many weekends at $200-300/nt to make it worth it to continue using it that way. They get a place in the mountains, they get a bunch of expenses covered by renters, all with minimal cost to them. If the STR market was highly regulated and taxed heavily, no doubt some of them would not bother, and while a couple would still keep their place, for the rest the investment calculus would change dramatically.
    Yeah out of existence was embellishing a bit, but back to the level of second homes being rented pre-airbnb. You didn't see every other house in a residential neighborhood listed to rent like you do now anywhere remotely nice.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Yeah, I imagine almost all homeowners rented before buying. Who leaves school and buys a house immediately?
    liv2ski's kids. In San Diego, no less. Near the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Yeah out of existence was embellishing a bit, but back to the level of second homes being rented pre-airbnb. You didn't see every other house in a residential neighborhood listed to rent like you do now anywhere remotely nice.
    Unfortunately the Idaho Association of Realtors had other ideas for our hood and passed state law banning the regulation of STR's. Real forward thinking that bunch. Did ya see US Foods is no longer distributing to the valley, now even if a restaurant can staff they can't get food. Strange times.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    If your on a month to month you can give 30days notice anytime as a tenant. As the landlord you can only boot the tenant for cause, not just being a PITA to deal with. My next lease agreement will likely have all kinds of verbiage in "The Agreement" that addresses "if your a PITA" too.
    Maybe it's different in CA, but if it's a month to month lease, EITHER party can give notice and end the agreement. Here, it's actually not 30 days out for the LL (not sure about the tenant), it is 10 days before the lease term starts. Since the "lease term" is the next month, you have to give notice 10 days before that starts, so basically 40 days notice.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I realize there are some powerful lobbying groups that would advocate otherwise, and have done so successfully in the past. They will be the ones that scream.

I don't think we've reached critical mass just yet to drown out their screams, but its coming, and soon.

And the US Foods thing is just absurd. Those trucks roll through the valley as it is to bring stuff to Jackson. Tough route though. When I was in purchasing starting out my career I was always amazed at the Sysco dudes who would put in 11 hours driving up from Salt Lake and back daily. Their schedule started at like 3 in the morning, and they didn't get home until usually well after dinner. Of all the jobs to say fuck it, I think I'll just collect unemployment, that is probably one where I can see where they are coming from.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    There are times when homes are not selling that may force someone to take a severe beating if they are forced to sell. Walking away from a lease even if you have to pay off the entire remaining lease can be much cheaper and easier. Landlords also have a duty to try to re-rent in cases where the tenant walks, of course they don't have to make a serious effort to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    i'm talking about the blanket statements made here and in published articles about "actually renting is better because you can move if you want" bullshit peddled by landlords. whatever works for people on a case by case basis, go for it.

Month to months are rare and offered at inflated prices. let's stop bringing exceptions to the vast majority of lease agreements and presenting them as the rule.

Month to months are rare and offered at inflated prices. let's stop bringing exceptions to the vast majority of lease agreements and presenting them as the rule.
    month to months are common in one scenario. Around here and in most places, most leases convert to month to month when the lease term expires and isn't explicitly renewed. I rented a place for 5 years, it was month to month for the last 4 of those 5 years.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

interesting. i guess living where no one wants to live has me biased. carry on you rich dickheads

month to months are common in one scenario. Around here and in most places, most leases convert to month to month when the lease term expires and isn't explicitly renewed. I rented a place for 5 years, it was month to month for the last 4 of those 5 years.
    The point is that you are normally locked in for at least a year, and people do frequently re-up the 12-month term so they don't have to worry about having to move out on 40 days notice. With the dearth of rentals right now it would stressful AF to be on a M2M agreement knowing that any day your landlord could tell you "Rent's going up 50%. Sign a new 12-month lease at that rate or be out in 40 days."

I used to rent a place for $200 per month, month to month, name wasn’t on the lease, house had no running water, but the views were worth millions. Saved up enough money to travel and ski in NZ for three months. Went Heli skiing a few times too. Now that’s upward mobility!

maybe im old, but I was always told homeownership was one of the first steps in a "secure" financial future, and kinda what you did when you became an "adult".
    I bought my first house when I was 25. All out of my own pocket. Have had 3 subsequent houses over the next 25 years. Some made more, some made less, but none did I ever lose on.

Biggest mistake I ever made was essentially giving my ex wife the multi family we owned. Give me back the down payment (came from me), and get me off the mortgage. House would be a huge money maker now (1997 purchase). Busy ass town (morristown nj), close to trains (walking), close to town (also walking). Probably get $1500 for the 1bed/1bath downstairs unit, and $2500 for the 2 bedroom/1 bath, 2 story unit upstairs. The first mortgage would be for sure paid by now and it would all be profit. I thought I was being nice and giving "karma"...fuck that noise...i fucked up..oh well live and learn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1624293911402.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	377605

"There's never been a better time to buy!!"

USA RE to the moon, baby!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Some perspective on leases as someone who is currently renting an apartment in OR.

Anything less than a 12 month lease was available in month to month, 3, 6 or 9 month leases with the rate increasing to the 12 month cost + $200 for the month to month option without much of a break for the other terms. You can allow the lease to go month to month at the end of the term BUT the rent goes up to whatever they are charging for month to month when the lease ends. So in our case the rent went up $150/mth when our lease ended.

We are buying a house and our total will be way less than market rate rent for a similar home or apartment.

This country has a housing supply issue, but has an even bigger wage stagnation issue. The reason people aren’t able to save with market rate rent is because the cost of everything has gone up without a commensurate increase in wages.

I literally couldn’t care less about Jackson or some other resort town having a worker and housing shortage. Oh no, the poor rich people.

I do care about how this issue is effecting people in normal towns and cities across the country. If we don’t get on top of it, we will see the enviable fallout that civilization and after civilization has experienced when their people can’t feed their kids (1:5 homes food insecure in America! F YeAh!) and can’t afford shelter. It hasn’t been pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yes actually. Tons of large companies in the Midwest offering great salaries. Industrials, Pharmaceuticals, Insurance, Agri-Buisness / Food / Beer, Aerospace, Machinery, etc. Filled with Big 10 grads that make 6 figures.