Page 420 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 ... LastLast
Results 10,476 to 10,500 of 26889
    19% of Seattle workers work in STEM, the highest in the nation. 48% of those are in software development (almost as many, total, as NYC even though NYC has 9 times as many workers). Vegas comes in last at 2.1%

Logical to assume real estate prices in places with high percentage of STEM workers will remain high, and those without will remain volatile.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FYIguy-stem-map-WEB.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	394.0 KB 
ID:	344437

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ds-top-in-u-s/

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    IBM would buy your house if you got transferred.
    At least they used to, for some people.
    I used that program back in the day I was a lowly HW guy but I was a lifetime IBM'er, havent kept up with it so I got no idea what that means now ... i just spend the money they send every month

if you got a " moving package " it was administered thru Canada trust who give you a personal contact thru which everything goes, so get 2 house appraisals by accredited people, arrive at an agreed buy-out price with Can trust, or you got 2 months to sell if you think you can get more, at the end of 2 months they will give you the agreed buyout or you can just keep trying

I was selling in a depressed market, almost nobody looked at the house let alone come back twice so I took the early buyout offer which also saved 1/2 months mortgage

the corp pays for all costs to sell the house, the moving company, 6 weeks living in a hotel, costs to buy on the other end including some remodeling costs for paint & carpet

I had a manager who told me about getting a package, they need you badly somewhere so pack a suitcase and just walk away from the house that same day they transfer you, Cantrust does everything the movers even wrap the ash tray including the ashes in case there was something you wanted,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I would be surprised if that program still exists, even back in the day it wasn't a common benefit.
    Live Free or Die

Re-Lo insurance policies still exist. I couldn't tell you if/how many tech firms purchase them as an employee benefit, but companies in other industries/sectors that have the right to transfer employees definitely do. If the workers are organized, they might be purchasing it though their unions as well.

The number I heard was 50K for a moving package, I think it was internal, a branch would only get so much budget for moving costs so they didn't wana waste it,

not common but its part of the whole IBM'er thing which took me awhile to really understand, mostly the light bulb went on when I was out of it, I had to wear the suits but I never had to sing the company song ... I could go on for pages

I still use the extended benifits, spend the non-contributory pension $ and hopefully later than sooner cash in that 12k insurance policy they instituted to bury me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I would be surprised if that program still exists, even back in the day it wasn't a common benefit.
    Yeah. Ancient times. I don't even think they have a pension anymore. Last I heard they were forcing people to move to India to keep their jobs, and then they reduced their salary to adjust for third world wage scales.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    WFH will run it’s course. Remember when Marissa Meyer became CEO of Yahoo and ended WFH to restore accountability? Same thing will happen when companies need to cut costs. The marginal workers living to far to come to office will be cut.
    I don't think so. My company's only ~25 employees at the moment, but we had a near-instant change of perspective around WFH in March. We'll try to re-open our office when we think we can do so safely, but I'm pretty sure our mindset around WFH is permanently changed. I have one daughter who works at another Bay-area startup and another daughter who's at Square, and they would say the same about their companies.

Other industries will differ, but tech is changed permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I don't think so. My company's only ~25 employees at the moment, but we had a near-instant change of perspective around WFH in March. We'll try to re-open our office when we think we can do so safely, but I'm pretty sure our mindset around WFH is permanently changed. I have one daughter who works at another Bay-area startup and another daughter who's at Square, and they would say the same about their companies.

Other industries will differ, but tech is changed permanently.
    Also FinServ. Especially given that an increasing amount of work is global and cross time zone, shit is just easier to schedule if you can hop on for an hour at 9 PM or 5 AM on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Also FinServ. Especially given that an increasing amount of work is global and cross time zone, shit is just easier to schedule if you can hop on for an hour at 9 PM or 5 AM on occasion.
    WFH is great for those in FinServ who would normally need to be at work at 6am for the opening bell. My oldest loves rolling out of bed at 5:30am and jumping on the computer to work. She never wants to go back to the office. So long as an employer can be sure the work is getting done in a WFH enviroment, why pay big $$$ for all the fancy office space downtown?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

All it takes is one major security breach and wfh is in trouble. Especially in banking and brokerage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    There’s going to be lots of opportunities.
    Just not in ski towns, for now.
    What is your take on timelines and the broader market going forward? Seems like you've had some home runs over the last few years.

All it takes is one major security breach and wfh is in trouble. Especially in banking and brokerage.
    Everything is cloud based anyhow. Core infra being tied to a physical location will become increasingly rare.

That shit happens with people in the office too.

ICE stopped paying for cell phones and Internet access years ago and had a zero wfh policy prior to March. I’m out but I’ll find out what happens when restrictions are lifted. I suspect they go all hands at some point to at least to get a baseline. Their deal was always have really nice offices to showcase.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I bought my house from someone on a transfer with Dahmiler from here to chicago. They had a similar program. ReLo company takes ownership of house after accepting offer, does all inspection fixes, gives back to seller just before sale and then transfers to me or something like that. Goofy system. I walked away from a house under contract just 2 months prior to that with similar construct... sellers already moved to Boston and after signing contract, ReLo company came back with a different one 3 days later....instead of signing I looked at property again and had buyers remorse and punted.

Seems those are quite common...although maybe not with IBM anymore?

In the insurance brokerage world, I can tell you those going into the office are crushing it and those who continue to work from home are not hitting the numbers they need to be. I think it's more of a work ethic thing for sales though. Our company has allowed brokers to work from where ever they wanted much before covid and the same held true then too. Hustlers make the money.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    WFH is great for those in FinServ who would normally need to be at work at 6am for the opening bell. My oldest loves rolling out of bed at 5:30am and jumping on the computer to work. She never wants to go back to the office. So long as an employer can be sure the work is getting done in a WFH enviroment, why pay big $$$ for all the fancy office space downtown?
    I started WFH for a UK based tech company in April. I have a lot of 7 AM meetings and sometimes the odd 2 AM or 2:30 AM call or email that I have to send out.

It's so much nicer to be WFH. I don't mind the hours if I can run/bike/ski between the odd hours that I have to work. I can roll out of bed 5 minutes before a call, grab something to drink, and then cruise to my office. It beats the hell out of the 45-minute commute through suburban stoplight hell that I previously had to deal with.

In my previous role, I would often have calls until very late at night with clients in Asia and Australia. People would look at me like I was a slacker when I walked into the office at 9:30 AM after I had been on calls until after midnight.

The WFH change has been pretty sweet, but I realized the other day that there will probably never be a time in the future where my former boss, myself and the team I used to manage are in the same place again. We were all pretty close and had spent years traveling the world together. Since the covid lockdown, my boss got poached, I got poached and my team got rolled into a different department. It's such a different world now. I never would have believed it a year ago.

ICE stopped paying for cell phones and Internet access years ago and had a zero wfh policy prior to March. I’m out but I’ll find out what happens when restrictions are lifted. I suspect they go all hands at some point to at least to get a baseline. Their deal was always have really nice offices to showcase.
    You work for immigrations and customs?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You work for immigrations and customs?
    The ICE

I'm looking at a piece of property that's up on an absolute auction. Just land with some utilities on it currently. Anyone had any experience with absolute auctions? Any tips?

Are you talking courthouse steps?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Are you talking courthouse steps?
    Nah, online auction setup over a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Nah, online auction setup over a few days.
    This is a real piece of dirt, not some scam auction? Have you talked to a local RE agent on the estimated value of the property, and you know, verify that the property is real?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Hubzu listing?

Yep, it's a real lot. Been to it once before and scoped the area. I watched it get foreclosed on about 2 years ago by the bank. Seems like the bank is eager to get it off its hands.

The only question that remains is if the septic system is still operable. Although if it isn't, it's not a deal breaker. Auction is run through the auctioneer/broker's own website.