Page 314 of 1076 FirstFirst ... 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 ... LastLast
Results 7,826 to 7,850 of 26884
    Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    That’s baller class. Totally different than upper class.

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    Oh crap, I do believe that photo is of my fraternity brothers out on the quad.

-Xaipe
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    But somehow you still managed to marry up !
    Seriously, she’s got that Ivy League degree in hyroglyphics or whatever she studied. Wicked smaht. That’s why I’m saying she should be supporting me.

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    But somehow you still managed to marry up !
    Most likely if you're posting on this board and you actually found a chick that would marry you, you've married up.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Seriously, she’s got that Ivy League degree in hyroglyphics or whatever she studied. Wicked smaht. That’s why I’m saying she should be supporting me.
    I wish you all the luck with that but you know it doesn't work that way...if the tables were turned you would have that label we all secretly hope to achieve, lazy ass, good for nothing ski bum! Hoping to get out your way this season, maybe Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Most likely if you're posting on this board and you actually found a chick that would marry you, you've married up.
    Probably the wisest and most accurate comment you've ever posted, especially true for both of us!

Also, something that Benny alluded to: all the good jobs are largely in the expensive cities. Also, in many cases to progress or even survive in your industry you're limited to just a few cities to call home because of how certain talent ecosystems have developed. So you're stuck with cities unless you want a 30-50% pay cut and no advancement opportunities short of someone dying or retiring.
    Now you have to try to find a decent school and childcare, which restricts your choices and costs you either in tuition/daycare or house cost (or both). Daycare alone in some cities is up to 24k a year.
    Unless you want to commute an hour+ you have to make bank to just get everyone in the family a bedroom.
    The rise of telecommute is helping, but not enough for those that don't want to be locked into their company.

large cities are also where trying to buy a home trying to live are way higher but i think the whole middle class thing was a thro back to the 60's which I have seen just plain evaporate over the years so IMO if you squandered your chance it might be no longer available but I see many young people moving out of Vangroovy to live in the small towns and may old people selling out for small town where there's no mall so you can't spend any money and there is no where for teens to hang out but costs are lower eh

IBM noticed that retiree's were dieing off < 3 years after retirement on average so being the good employer they gave everyone a free 12K life insurance policy to pay for the funeral which coined the term "cradle to grave" 14years later I appear to have beat the odds, probably cuz the odds are good that the goods are odd
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Also, something that Benny alluded to: all the good jobs are largely in the expensive cities. Also, in many cases to progress or even survive in your industry you're limited to just a few cities to call home because of how certain talent ecosystems have developed. So you're stuck with cities unless you want a 30-50% pay cut and no advancement opportunities short of someone dying or retiring.
    Now you have to try to find a decent school and childcare, which restricts your choices and costs you either in tuition/daycare or house cost (or both). Daycare alone in some cities is up to 24k a year.
    Unless you want to commute an hour+ you have to make bank to just get everyone in the family a bedroom.
    The rise of telecommute is helping, but not enough for those that don't want to be locked into their company.
    The biggest sticking point for recruiting for decent paying jobs in non-major metro areas imo has been employment for a spouse. I used to get recruitment calls looking for people in bumfuck Iowa or bumfuck Wisconsin, or bumfuck Georgia and that was always something they raise - there's not much employment anywhere else in town. Even includes larger burgs like Rochester, Mn https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...-but-what.html hell, there are even multiple threads on TGR that come to that conclusion....

As Millenials and Gen-Z start to take over senior mgmt, director, and exec positions, I *believe* we will see even more flexibility with regards to jobs that can be done outside of a "standard" office environment.

Which may start to help address a lot of the "big city is the only place to get good employment" issues.

Or so I hope.

I'm pretty sure they have been saying that since the internet really came about in the 90's, still waiting.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    As Millenials and Gen-Z start to take over senior mgmt, director, and exec positions, I *believe* we will see even more flexibility with regards to jobs that can be done outside of a "standard" office environment.

Which may start to help address a lot of the "big city is the only place to get good employment" issues.

Or so I hope.
    Ahh man, I thought weed would be legal when the hippies got into their 40-50's. Took another 20 yrs and we're still not all the way home.

Imo with all the corporate consolidation across all businesses these days it is opening the door for smaller niche companies to actually revert back to providing a good product and/or good customer service. So many large companies just suck to do business with these days.

You need to have an idea and take a risk.

I look at what happened locally with the two guys who "reinvented the wheel" starting Planet Fitness. It's a gym! Multi millionaires now.

My wife contributes to these stats. Seem to run in to quite a few telecommuters around town and on the ski slopes.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/busines...-telecommuting

Bend continues to build like everyone wants to move here over the next 10 years, and based on new construction home prices, they are building for the upper middle class...So much for small town living.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'm pretty sure they have been saying that since the internet really came about in the 90's, still waiting.
    Like I said - it will take folks in mgmt that simply *expect* it... and Boomers ain't it. And I think Gen-X might be too lazy to take up the mgmt positions.

That said - I got mine. So I'm gonna hopefully ride it out. Hell - I'd probably continue to work fairly contentedly if I could do it remotely from the Canadian Rockies, Italy, New Zealand, etc.

I may be ruined for commuting to an office any more. NTTAWWT.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The biggest sticking point for recruiting for decent paying jobs in non-major metro areas imo has been employment for a spouse. I used to get recruitment calls looking for people in bumfuck Iowa or bumfuck Wisconsin, or bumfuck Georgia and that was always something they raise - there's not much employment anywhere else in town. Even includes larger burgs like Rochester, Mn https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...-but-what.html hell, there are even multiple threads on TGR that come to that conclusion....
    And, like I said, leaves very few options in case that job doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    My wife contributes to these stats. Seem to run in to quite a few telecommuters around town and on the ski slopes.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/busines...-telecommuting

Bend continues to build like everyone wants to move here over the next 10 years, and based on new construction home prices, they are building for the upper middle class...So much for small town living.
    Wait. Didn't you just recently move there??

Or so I hope.
    Culture is hard to build fully remote, and most companies are terrible at culture and communication. On top of that different state regs can be a shitshow as some require paid leave and others don't etc.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Culture is hard to build fully remote, and most companies are terrible at culture and communication. On top of that different state regs can be a shitshow as some require paid leave and others don't etc.
    Why sure - but since they *are* terrible at it (culture and communication) you may as well be terrible at it with remote employees.

Perhaps mgmt will *also* start to ditch PTO like many companies are starting to do... seems like an easy way around state requirements.

Like I said - it will take folks in mgmt that simply *expect* it... and Boomers ain't it. And I think Gen-X might be too lazy to take up the mgmt positions.

That said - I got mine. So I'm gonna hopefully ride it out. Hell - I'd probably continue to work fairly contentedly if I could do it remotely from the Canadian Rockies, Italy, New Zealand, etc.

I may be ruined for commuting to an office any more. NTTAWWT.
    Say, have you seen skaredshtles lately? Where's he been? We have five balls in the air here, and so and so is offering to buy us. Oh really? Living "the life" up in the mountains? Powder day every day? Nice. Here, you take this and run with it. I need face to face.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Say, have you seen skaredshtles lately? Where's he been? We have five balls in the air here, and so and so is offering to buy us. Oh really? Living "the life" up in the mountains? Powder day every day? Nice. Here, you take this and run with it. I need face to face.
    That's fine with me. Means less work for me.

I may be an outlier - I'm just here to provide a service. If they don't want me to, or don't like it, or whatever, then can boot me. IDGAF. I like time off. #privilegedwhiteguyproblems

No one is going to win the "middle class" argument y'all are having...because both sides are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    No one is going to win the "middle class" argument y'all are having...because both sides are right.
    DAMMIT! Someone has to win. I mean... competition in EVERYTHING is the cornerstone of our society!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    And, like I said, leaves very few options in case that job doesn't work out.
    My org is just starting to explore the idea of having employees work remotely. And my fear is that if it became more of a thing, and I took them up on the opportunity, what happens if in 3 years they decide "yeah, that was an interesting experiment, but we need you all back in the office." Meanwhile, I've sold my home and moved my family to the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Truth.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My org is just starting to explore the idea of having employees work remotely. And my fear is that if it became more of a thing, and I took them up on the opportunity, what happens if in 3 years they decide "yeah, that was an interesting experiment, but we need you all back in the office." Meanwhile, I've sold my home and moved my family to the mountains.
    Why, then you'll have to figure out how to make it work from the mountains.

Which sounds pretty damned good to me.

My anchors right now are kids. But not for long...

Why sure - but since they *are* terrible at it (culture and communication) you may as well be terrible at it with remote employees.

Perhaps mgmt will *also* start to ditch PTO like many companies are starting to do... seems like an easy way around state requirements.
    It's only the tip of the iceberg. Compliance reqs around employee info are getting more restrictive (due to gdpr and similar laws) so companies that have it together or are large and have to deal with it anyway will be fine and everyone else will stay non-remote.
    Also data ingress/egress becomes problematic for international living as you're instantly subject to those regs or gov snooping on your traffic. Russia, for example, requires all info on Russian employees to stay in-country.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Truth.
    Re: What they're doing at the Interior department right now. All of those people settled in D.C. right now, kids in school, wife probably working, and they want them to move to ....... gulp......Grand Junction. Where truckers and ranchers breed.

IBM pulled the same shit last decade. Told a lot of older workers they had to move to......India. Great way to eliminate staff without age discrimination issues.